Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 25, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #72,301 of 149,353
Holy moly, yeah, shipping delays.

(Or, in other words, Thursday update ahead.)

So, after Texmageddon, AKA the Big Freeze, you can basically just edit one week out of our plans. If you were working in Premiere, it's basically snipping ten seconds of someone going, "Ah, um, er, hmmmmm...." and saying nothing important. Our power was out for three days, our water was sketchy for a couple of those days, and literally everything we ordered to (a) make the house livable and (b) make the site operational was scattered in the wind. Poof.

I mean, yeah, the shipping companies told us, pretty much every day, that things were "out for delivery," but nothing came. Then they went (supposedly) back to the depot, then some of them (supposedly) went elsewhere. I bit my tongue and bided my time, and starting Monday, the deluge started at the office. Alex, Evan, and I are beat from assembling like 500 desks and racks and workstations and stuff (I exaggerate a little bit, but Alex buys stunningly heavy stuff from Uline and it's a bear to wrestle, especially when you're talking 8-foot workstations and packing tables.

(And yeah, wannabe CEOs, yeah, I assembled along with everyone else, because that is what you do. Furthermore, I don't have an office in Corpus Christi at all, since I realized that (a) I hadn't seen my actual office in Valencia for months, having spent most time in the lab, and (b) it just separated me further from what was going on. So I have a workstation in the main production room (a very nice two-desk setup), not even in Alex's "panopticon" room--a strange office in the middle of everything--production, sound check, and shipping, with windows all around. Don't be a lazy, order-barking asshole. Get off your butt and help your people sometime. It won't kill you.)

Aside: though I find it funny that the Apple Watch has no actual setting for "work" as exercise, though they have Yoga, Surfing, and Mind and Body which contribute to your daily workout.

But, as of today, we have a production room that's starting to look like, well, a place you make things. Alex is interviewing and hiring. Soon shipments of boards and metal start coming in, and the real work begins. These shipments include massive, massive orders of product designed to solve the backorder problem and get us back in good standing with distributors. Soon the spice will start to flow.

Aside: oh yeah and I'll have a chapter or two for you next week.
Also as of today, my home office is up and running here. It's still pretty spare, but I'm back at work on design. I've also been working remotely with Cameron and Dave on some new and ongoing products, and that's working well. Though it will be good to go back to Valencia for a while, which I'll be doing next month. I expect a reasonable amount of travel as we get things worked out here.

Okay, one quick anecdote, then I gotta go. I spent some time with the guys from American Bank, one of whom was an audiophile. He hadn't heard much of us, because he is more on the speaker side. He was absolutely floored when I said, "Yeah, we make the stuff here, and yeah, we actually listen and instrument-test every single product that goes out the door, even the $49 ones, and we do it for less than products made overseas."

He was completely nonplussed. "So why doesn't everyone know this? Why isn't this an ad?"

Aside: and yeah, I know, some people don't give a crap about stuff made in the USA, but you know what, it does matter to a lot of people. Same as made in UK, made in Germany, made in France, made in Japan, made in Russia, made in Brazil, whatever. I know the current wisdom is still "well, send it overseas, let's be a design/marketing company only," but does it always have to be that way? Is there no value in provenance? So I will continue to say our stuff is made in USA. Sorry if that tweaks your wagon.

So. Yeah. I'm an idiot. Maybe I need to do a bit more of this marketing-stuff.

More next week!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #72,302 of 149,353
I appreciate the feedback. That’s what I was afraid of. I’ve had my Modi MB plugged in and running for weeks now and it seems to have gotten better with time. It makes all of my other dacs sound plain and kind of boring. Damn it.
The Modi MB is a gateway drug into Schiit's multibit technology.

Seriously, it punches way above it's weight class. And yeah, I, too, keep mine on all the time.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #72,303 of 149,353
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #72,304 of 149,353
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #72,305 of 149,353
Yup, I do. It replaced a Bifrost Multibit. Both sound excellent, but the GS is presents a much larger soundstage. While I don't know what I'm missing in terms of the Analog 2 (versus A1); I think it was well worth the price. Highly recommended.
@W3WEB, can you provide more details about what differences you noticed when switching from your Bifrost multi-bit to an Yggdrasil GS? Do you use your Yggdrasil with head phones or a speaker system? Detail? Dynamics? Articulation? Liquid or analytical sound? Inquiring minds, you know.

I suspect each Schiit product is a gateway to the next Schiit product up the line...

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #72,306 of 149,353
@Jason Stoddard Welcome to Corpus! I'm a Hill Country resident now (Boerne) but I fly those orange and white planes over your house 6 days a month as a reservist. I hate to be a pessimist, but in my time in Corpus, the water becomes undrinkable for a few days about every other year. Not sure why, it always something different it seems. One time it was asphalt emulsifier that somehow managed to backflow into the city water supply. When my family owned a house there we always kept a few pallets of bottled water around for hurricanes or Corpus-isms. On the bright side, there's some excellent beer in town (give Lazy Beach a try sometime).

Cheers!

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #72,308 of 149,353
@Jason Stoddard We are all *glad* to hear from you and that things are basically OK. Totally with you on Uline racks, tables - my wife's dog treatz facility has had to go vertical with 20' pallet racks replacing regular shelving. My wife, Cynthia has turned out to be quite the "high steel worker" :). Would love to see some pics of your new facility!

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #72,309 of 149,353
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #72,310 of 149,353
Okay, one quick anecdote, then I gotta go. I spent some time with the guys from American Bank, one of whom was an audiophile. He hadn't heard much of us, because he is more on the speaker side. He was absolutely floored when I said, "Yeah, we make the stuff here, and yeah, we actually listen and instrument-test every single product that goes out the door, even the $49 ones, and we do it for less than products made overseas."

Um, but Schiit is much more than a headphone amplification company! And I mean that in a good way.

Plus, I'm glad to hear you and your wife are OK. Internet friends are still friends, and I worry...! :grinning:

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #72,311 of 149,353
Is there no value in provenance?
The real question is how will the terroir in Texas affect the Schiit sound we all know and love?
The CA terroir vs TX terroir is going to be more hammer-n-tongs argument than the bbq one.

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #72,312 of 149,353
It seems The Sleeper Has Awakened...! But I never knew Arakkis was in Texas...?
Isn't everything in TX supposed to be bigger? The sandworms are clearly just Texas earthworms.

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #72,313 of 149,353
@W3WEB, can you provide more details about what differences you noticed when switching from your Bifrost multi-bit to an Yggdrasil GS? Do you use your Yggdrasil with head phones or a speaker system? Detail? Dynamics? Articulation? Liquid or analytical sound? Inquiring minds, you know.

I suspect each Schiit product is a gateway to the next Schiit product up the line...

I have a BF2 and an Yggy GS and have tried on both headphones and speakers. I feel that the Yggy provides a bit more of... everything. It seems just a tad more "natural" to me. The BF2 literally sounds like the son of the Yggy. Similar "character", just only a tad scaled down. Quite subtle... which, DACs are already a subtlety IMO.

Also, there's the perk of both being upgradeable, with the caveat that I'm not sure the Yggy GS is "allowed" to be sent in for an A2 upgrade (I think), but have seen customer support verify that if an A3 upgrade comes out, it'd be no problem to send the GS back in for an upgrade. This makes it an amazing value.

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #72,315 of 149,353
The real question is how will the terroir in Texas affect the Schiit sound we all know and love?
The CA terroir vs TX terroir is going to be more hammer-n-tongs argument than the bbq one.
That is a neat word, I knew of the concept but not like so many things there was a specific word for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back