Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #72,272 of 151,119
Here’s another FedEx story. Ordered some headphones from Monoprice, and they shipped from Independence, Kentucky, which is straight due north up Interstate 75 from Knoxville, Tennessee where I live. But no, they went right by me all the way down to Ellenwood, Georgia near Atlanta. OK, I’m thinking they’ll just make a U-turn and come back up north. But no, they decide they need to go way west to Southaven, Mississippi before coming way back east to Knoxville. Still waiting. Transit time so far Is 8 days, for what could have been a 3.5 hour drive. Lol. Justify that! I feel your pain.

FedEx is a mess right now due to weather, and possibly other reasons:

https://old.reddit.com/r/FedEx/

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #72,275 of 151,119
Yes. Which is why they had so much. The routes developed during the 70s coke boom were still there when it died, so the price tanked and crack was born.

Why ridiculous?
It's not like powder cocaine went away, it's still a thing today. It's just that it became the upper-class drug while crack, because the high was cheaper, became the lower-class drug. Of course there were many cases of upper-class people using crack, but the idea that powder coke died out is not accurate. That's all I meant.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #72,276 of 151,119
Glue is soooo much cheaper ...

Capture.JPG

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #72,278 of 151,119
Here's an interesting little piece just published on Quora that bears on Animals, David Gilmour, Roger Waters, and the whole question of how musical artists get compensated (or not) for their work and creativity:

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Roger-Waters-richer-than-David-Gilmour
Interesting. I was vaguely aware of some of those issues. One is the publishing rights vs the performance rights of a song. Here is an explanation: Devo self recorded 3 lps worth of music, and it got them a contract with Warner Bros. However, those original recordings were relegated a few early singles, Jocko Homo, and some bootlegs. Warner Bros (and producers, promoters, pimps etcs. convinced Devo that they should re-record songs with better gear at better studios. Some years later Devo found out that they had given up half the royalties of the recorded performances.
==
One of my problems is around the issue of what is a song, exactly. A lot of records have music that blends into the next 'song,' or is it a suite. David Bowie's Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (reprise). On the record the songs blend into each other. Is it one song?-sure sounds like one performance! Is it 3 songs? Is Sweet Thing and the reprise only one song? And how often do streaming services add a break between such songs that should not be there? (The worst!)
And on classical music, is a movement another song?
End of rant. Where's me meds?

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #72,281 of 151,119
Here’s another FedEx story. Ordered some headphones from Monoprice, and they shipped from Independence, Kentucky, which is straight due north up Interstate 75 from Knoxville, Tennessee where I live. But no, they went right by me all the way down to Ellenwood, Georgia near Atlanta. OK, I’m thinking they’ll just make a U-turn and come back up north. But no, they decide they need to go way west to Southaven, Mississippi before coming way back east to Knoxville. Still waiting. Transit time so far Is 8 days, for what could have been a 3.5 hour drive. Lol. Justify that! I feel your pain.

I might have you beat. I ordered something only from a national brand website (not audio related - it was a belt). They decide to fulfill it from the shop in my home town, literally 2 miles from my house. FedEx sent it through 2 other states before it made it here. If I knew they were going to ship from the local shop, I'd have just gone and picked it up.

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #72,283 of 151,119
Above posts about Pi4 are good info for a Pi illiterate like me. Since the Unison USB on my Iggy is taken, what would I need to add to the Pi4 to connect it to the coax or AES/EBU input?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #72,284 of 151,119
Above posts about Pi4 are good info for a Pi illiterate like me. Since the Unison USB on my Iggy is taken, what would I need to add to the Pi4 to connect it to the coax or AES/EBU input?

Thanks in advance.
There are a number of different "HAT"s (Hardware Attached on Top) you can get that provide digital audio out for a range of prices. Companies that sell them often also have cases for them that are not too hard to put together.

IMG_20210223_175321.jpg

On the left is a Raspberry Pi 3 with a HifiBerry Digi+ board and on the right is a Raspberry Pi 4 with an Allo Digione board. The Digi+ is about $25 and the DigiOne was about $99.

Having a/b tested them (not blind), they are comparable in sound quality to me. I kind of liked the Allo better, but not $75 better.

edit: Addendum - it would be good to confirm that whatever software you are using on the Pi can handle the HAT you choose. I use Max2Play which has what I need as well as support for a number of different HATs. I expect most popular audio programs also have support, but I do not know for certain.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #72,285 of 151,119

Users who are viewing this thread

Back