Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #72,256 of 149,295
Agree on everything save the adapter. Canakit’s adapter is 3.5 amps. don’t know how much stress Roon puts on the Pi, but better safe. And at (eek) amazon, you get a free inline power switch.
I've run it on as little as 10W (device showed about 6-7W on my network, using a PoE to USB adapter from Ubiquiti).

The only reason I recommend those is their relatively clean power.

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

Granted the onboard regulators in the rPi plus the good USB implementation on the Schiit side should make it a non issue.

That being said, the abhorrent quality and design of some USB supplies does terrify me. Between poor Line to Low voltage isolation and low quality components some USB supplies should be avoided for health and safety. Don't need any fires or shocks from a crappy USB supply, it's worth $10-20 for something that would catch fire, shock you, or fry your connected device.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #72,257 of 149,295
Unfortunately that turned out to be a huge missed opportunity:

True. There were only minor differences between the normal tracks and the "audiofile" release. Not worth the effort.

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #72,258 of 149,295
I am checking the Schiit website at the moment, looking to buy a Jotunheim 2. Where Schiit keeps it's prices the same if possible, and always very competitive, shipping rates went through the roof. That has nothing to do with Schiit of course.

FedEx International Priority to Abu Dhabi (UAE) is $120 at the moment for the Jotunheim 2. In July 2020 I had another item (same size, same weight) shipped from Schiit to me for $75. Also FedEx International Priority. Ok, that was to Saudi Arabia, but that is very close to the UAE. It means a whopping 60% price increase in half a year. I hope it is COVID-19 related and will go down again post-pandemic. Otherwise, how can they justify it?

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #72,262 of 149,295
And, because we love you/I am insane, here's a peek at Lokiest (whatever we call it, it won't be that. At least I don't think so.)

No, we won't use those knobs. They will be proper machined knobs.

And yeah, those are relay potentiometers (very different than a relay ladder attenuator) and custom 80% nickel-core inductors.

IMG_0801.jpeg
I suddenly get a question from someone sitting next to me in the hospital cafeteria (how small the world is) if there is a price indication for the new EQ?

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #72,263 of 149,295
I am checking the Schiit website at the moment, looking to buy a Jotunheim 2. Where Schiit keeps it's prices the same if possible, and always very competitive, shipping rates went through the roof. That has nothing to do with Schiit of course.

FedEx International Priority to Abu Dhabi (UAE) is $120 at the moment for the Jotunheim 2. In July 2020 I had another item (same size, same weight) shipped from Schiit to me for $75. Also FedEx International Priority. Ok, that was to Saudi Arabia, but that is very close to the UAE. It means a whopping 60% price increase in half a year. I hope it is COVID-19 related and will go down again post-pandemic. Otherwise, how can they justify it?
Here’s another FedEx story. Ordered some headphones from Monoprice, and they shipped from Independence, Kentucky, which is straight due north up Interstate 75 from Knoxville, Tennessee where I live. But no, they went right by me all the way down to Ellenwood, Georgia near Atlanta. OK, I’m thinking they’ll just make a U-turn and come back up north. But no, they decide they need to go way west to Southaven, Mississippi before coming way back east to Knoxville. Still waiting. Transit time so far Is 8 days, for what could have been a 3.5 hour drive. Lol. Justify that! I feel your pain.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #72,264 of 149,295
So there was a surplus that was turned into crack for the next episode of how stupid are Americans?
That's ridiculous. Crack is just a cheaper version of powder cocaine.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #72,265 of 149,295
I've run it on as little as 10W (device showed about 6-7W on my network, using a PoE to USB adapter from Ubiquiti).

The only reason I recommend those is their relatively clean power.

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

Granted the onboard regulators in the rPi plus the good USB implementation on the Schiit side should make it a non issue.

That being said, the abhorrent quality and design of some USB supplies does terrify me. Between poor Line to Low voltage isolation and low quality components some USB supplies should be avoided for health and safety. Don't need any fires or shocks from a crappy USB supply, it's worth $10-20 for something that would catch fire, shock you, or fry your connected device.
Good point!

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #72,266 of 149,295
Here’s another FedEx story. Ordered some headphones from Monoprice, and they shipped from Independence, Kentucky, which is straight due north up Interstate 75 from Knoxville, Tennessee where I live. But no, they went right by me all the way down to Ellenwood, Georgia near Atlanta. OK, I’m thinking they’ll just make a U-turn and come back up north. But no, they decide they need to go way west to Southaven, Mississippi before coming way back east to Knoxville. Still waiting. Transit time so far Is 8 days, for what could have been a 3.5 hour drive. Lol. Justify that! I feel your pain.
It's all because of "logistics". :rolling_eyes: I can quote numerous examples of <name your carrier of choice> where the package departs Location A, falls off the radar for x days, reappears at Location B which creates Line AB. y days later it shows up in my town, Location C, which is smack dab in the middle of Line AB. I try to not get frustrated at these guys, knowing they (all of the carriers) are moving millions of items daily. I really try to be thankful that the package actually arrives not beat to shreds.

One example though is a real *facepalm* event. I ordered a calendar from a nonprofit animal rescue in Minnesota. It was printed and shipped from the town I grew up in in Montana, 180 miles north of were I currently live. It literally took three months for USPS to deliver it. I could have walked up there to pick it up and walk back in less time! :rolling_eyes:

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #72,269 of 149,295
Feb 25, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #72,270 of 149,295
Not if you use a Pi 4b board. with the 3’s, yes, you’ll need a HAT. (Edit: it might sound like poo... For the 3 b+ i still have, I’m using the Hifiberry Digi Pro Plus, very happy with it!)
and Raspberry Pi appear to have bought out IQAudio, they are selling HATs for ridiculously low prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back