Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #72,286 of 150,025
Above posts about Pi4 are good info for a Pi illiterate like me. Since the Unison USB on my Iggy is taken, what would I need to add to the Pi4 to connect it to the coax or AES/EBU input?

Thanks in advance.
I alternate between Unison with a Wyred4Sound Recovery and a Pi4 with a PI2AES (https://www.pi2design.com/store/p19/PI2AES_-_PRO_AUDIO_SHIELD.html). I can't hear any audio difference between the two. I like MusicBee's GUI better than any Linux program. But I can control Moode remotely over my home network.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #72,287 of 150,025
Anyone on here have an Yggy GS? I'm seriously thinking of saving up for one.
Yup, I do. It replaced a Bifrost Multibit. Both sound excellent, but the GS is presents a much larger soundstage. While I don't know what I'm missing in terms of the Analog 2 (versus A1); I think it was well worth the price. Highly recommended.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #72,288 of 150,025
Feb 25, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #72,294 of 150,025
Here’s another FedEx story. Ordered some headphones from Monoprice, and they shipped from Independence, Kentucky, which is straight due north up Interstate 75 from Knoxville, Tennessee where I live. But no, they went right by me all the way down to Ellenwood, Georgia near Atlanta. OK, I’m thinking they’ll just make a U-turn and come back up north. But no, they decide they need to go way west to Southaven, Mississippi before coming way back east to Knoxville. Still waiting. Transit time so far Is 8 days, for what could have been a 3.5 hour drive. Lol. Justify that! I feel your pain.
Waiting for fedex to get my Bifrost 2 to Knox Vegas still myself. Wooosahh

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #72,296 of 150,025
Yup, I do. It replaced a Bifrost Multibit. Both sound excellent, but the GS is presents a much larger soundstage. While I don't know what I'm missing in terms of the Analog 2 (versus A1); I think it was well worth the price. Highly recommended.
I appreciate the feedback. That’s what I was afraid of. I’ve had my Modi MB plugged in and running for weeks now and it seems to have gotten better with time. It makes all of my other dacs sound plain and kind of boring. Damn it.

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #72,297 of 150,025
All this fedex talk is making me nervous... expecting a much anticipated package tomorrow (PS5) from fedex..........

Good luck. My Xbox Series X sat in Fed Ex hell, for 5 days, in PA alone. It hadn't even snowed that week, so I have no idea what caused the delay? The delay pushed the delivery past the Fed Ex estimated delivery day, which usually doesn't happen.

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #72,298 of 150,025
There are a number of different "HAT"s (Hardware Attached on Top) you can get that provide digital audio out for a range of prices. Companies that sell them often also have cases for them that are not too hard to put together.

On the left is a Raspberry Pi 3 with a HifiBerry Digi+ board and on the right is a Raspberry Pi 4 with an Allo Digione board. The Digi+ is about $25 and the DigiOne was about $99.

Having a/b tested them (not blind), they are comparable in sound quality to me. I kind of liked the Allo better, but not $75 better.

edit: Addendum - it would be good to confirm that whatever software you are using on the Pi can handle the HAT you choose. I use Max2Play which has what I need as well as support for a number of different HATs. I expect most popular audio programs also have support, but I do not know for certain.

Thank you so much for that explanation! I've been thinking about doing a streaming set up, but figured I'd never reason it out! Pi's and HATs; I didn't know What people were talking about? And I consider myself fairly computer literate. I felt like I was going to need to find a Klingon Dictionary, or a Streaming For Dummies book, to get started. So, thanks again for explaining a HAT. Every bit helps. :grinning:

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #72,299 of 150,025
Good luck. My Xbox Series X sat in Fed Ex hell, for 5 days, in PA alone. It hadn't even snowed that week, so I have no idea what caused the delay? The delay pushed the delivery past the Fed Ex estimated delivery day, which usually doesn't happen.
Yeah it’s frustrating. Mine has been stuck in Arkansas for three days now. The fedex system is incredibly complex and interconnected. With such disruptions due to weather, it will cause issues even outside affected areas. The trucks gotta get there from somewhere with stuff from other places and many of those are still affected. It will ripple through the system for a while but eventually things will get back to normal. Interdependencies are fun.

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #72,300 of 150,025

Users who are viewing this thread

Back