Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 13, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #71,656 of 149,763
Worked in IT in the early 90s. We were a distribution company so all we did was receive in product and ship out. Whole system was Risc6000 based serial terminals. The software would bomb out occasionally and we had to work with the vendor in aix to get it going again.

My boss told me to make 3 to 4 rounds a day around the building just checking in with people. Usually first thing in the morning, before lunch, after lunch and towards end of day unless we had others things going on.

One day a girl in inside sales just starts ripping me a new one. "Why do we pay you" "All you do is walk around all day" "Do you actually do anything" really loudly so the entire floor (about 45 people) can hear her. I go back to my desk and next thing I know she is calling me "My session bombed out can you come and help me?"

So a couple minutes later I go down and say in my (not so quiet) voice. "I guess you figured out what I do all day"

Feb 13, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #71,658 of 149,763
So much music, so little time. It's very, very enjoyable to learn about everyone's musical preferences, likes and dislikes. I've discovered new-to-me artists here. I've rediscovered artists I'd forgotten about. The mention a few months back of Bebop Deluxe jogged a distant high school memory and I had to go find Live In The Air Age on Qobuz. Whoever that was, Thank You!

My musical tastes are rather broad, ranging from classical to country, all sub-genres of rock, pop, electronica, ambient, techno, jazz and bebop, big band and swing. About the only things I don't like are opera and the heavy bass driven stuff that is overly repetitive without a melody. Big into electronica and space music. I'm a big fan of the Hearts of Space radio program. I love stuff I can get really lost in. Paint me a soundscape with textures, please. Or give me something I can walk into and around the instruments. Or tell me a story - either in 4 minutes - Four Dead in Ohio style or maybe your existential angst over the loss of your father in the war and becoming a successful musician only to now loathing the very things that come with that success including rabid fans (Pink Floyd's The Wall).

My choice of genre is often dictated by my mood and what I'm doing at the moment.
Some chores are better done with a nice driving rock beat.
Some stuff is better done with a contemplative soundscape.
Some things just require a pleasant musical background that doesn't get in the way.
And sometimes silence is best.
All depends.
Like life.

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #71,659 of 149,763
All depends.
Like life.
Reminds me of one of my favorite David Bowie quotes, when asked by a reporter if he believed in any particular philosophy or religion: "I like life, I like it very much."

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #71,664 of 149,763
Thinking about my disdain for PF in the early 70's I'm also reminded that I hate the Eagles. In 1972 as my friends walked around singing "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" and told me to just be mellow I'd scream at them, "Four Dead In Ohio!"
A fantastic cover by Katie Pruitt. One of my favorite artists of 2020.

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #71,665 of 149,763
From time to time there is also disappointment in music, at least in the registration of it.
One of my favorite test tracks is "You look good to me" by the Oscar Peterson Trio on the album "We get requests" on MGM's Verve jazz label.
When TV was not 24 hours around the clock in the Netherlands, our national television used to close the day at 24:00 with the last part of that particular song.
What is the disappointment you ask. They released it in Hi-Res and totally, completely, utterly ruined it.

Oh .... and don't stop the record at the end of the track. The next track "The girl from Ipanema" is maybe even better. :ksc75smile:

verve.jpg

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #71,667 of 149,763
A fantastic cover by Katie Pruitt. One of my favorite artists of 2020.

A bit too much country twang in her voice for my taste, but a good version nonetheless!

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #71,668 of 149,763
So much music, so little time. It's very, very enjoyable to learn about everyone's musical preferences, likes and dislikes. I've discovered new-to-me artists here. I've rediscovered artists I'd forgotten about. The mention a few months back of Bebop Deluxe jogged a distant high school memory and I had to go find Live In The Air Age on Qobuz. Whoever that was, Thank You!

My musical tastes are rather broad, ranging from classical to country, all sub-genres of rock, pop, electronica, ambient, techno, jazz and bebop, big band and swing. About the only things I don't like are opera and the heavy bass driven stuff that is overly repetitive without a melody. Big into electronica and space music. I'm a big fan of the Hearts of Space radio program. I love stuff I can get really lost in. Paint me a soundscape with textures, please. Or give me something I can walk into and around the instruments. Or tell me a story - either in 4 minutes - Four Dead in Ohio style or maybe your existential angst over the loss of your father in the war and becoming a successful musician only to now loathing the very things that come with that success including rabid fans (Pink Floyd's The Wall).

My choice of genre is often dictated by my mood and what I'm doing at the moment.
Some chores are better done with a nice driving rock beat.
Some stuff is better done with a contemplative soundscape.
Some things just require a pleasant musical background that doesn't get in the way.
And sometimes silence is best.
All depends.
Like life.
For the music telling a story (although it is very direct in the lyrics) you have basically the whole discography from Sabaton. Example:

Feb 13, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #71,670 of 149,763

Users who are viewing this thread

Back