Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #65,551 of 149,576
Not entirely Schiit related but I just took delivery of and hooked up a Bluesound Node 2i. It is hooked up to a Modi Multibit thru spdif/coax.

I bought it because Bluesound recently knocked $100 off the price but I guess I'll be the sucker when the Node 3 is announced next month for another $100 less.

Anyway, it's a moderately-priced certified Roon endpoint (that may be a bigger deal than I originally thought https://twitteringmachines.com/roon-changes-support-for-uncertified-roon-ready-devices/ ) and it also works nicely as a Spotify endpoint which make my wife very happy.

It sounds great thru the Modi and was stupid easy to set up. I'll post additional thoughts as they come up but as of today, I like.
Don't sweat too much on a new model. I was waiting a while to see a Node 2i on sale, and I picked one up last Xmas for $200 (AUD) off the retail. 10 months later it's still the current model.

Oh, and I think it's great too, and will sound better I'm sure when I get a Schiit DAC for living room. Currently feeding the XMC-1 with the Blusound out to Magni 3 for the headphones.

Oct 9, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #65,552 of 149,576
I agree, I don't want my manly 160W monoblocks thought of as 0.2hp monoblocks. Of course, 546 btu/hr monoblocks doesn't sound bad...

Sure, if you are heating your listening room.

That’s an interesting way of seeing it, so with the right kind of equipment (tubes are a given) who needs radiators, fireplaces or other pesky heating solutions to warm up the listening room? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 9, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #65,553 of 149,576
Oct 9, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #65,555 of 149,576
Showed the cat pic to my wife and all she saw was the Louis Vuitton bag. :smiley:

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #65,556 of 149,576
Now that's funny!

Oct 9, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #65,557 of 149,576
Showed the cat pic to my wife and all she saw was the Louis Vuitton bag. :smiley:

Sheeeez. As far as cat pics go, that one was about as black and white as you can get. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #65,559 of 149,576
Careful there! LV costs more that Schiit, and will get less use.

Oct 9, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #65,560 of 149,576
That’s an interesting way of seeing it, so with the right kind of equipment (tubes are a given) who needs radiators, fireplaces or other pesky heating solutions to warm up the listening room? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

One of my many odd hobbies is collecting and restoring old 500 series Tektronix oscilloscopes. Full of vacuum tubes. My 555 dual beam 'scope has over 100 vacuum tubes in it. Plus the outboard regulated power supply. Heats up the work space quite nicely on a cold winter evening.

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #65,563 of 149,576
Any chance Schitt can make a bluetooth receiver (w/ dac built in), like ifi Zen Blue, etc. ?
Jason and company have stated before on this thread that they won't mess with it because it's a compressed and lossy transmission format.

To be honest, I would not consider Bluetooth for serious listening. Don't get me wrong, it is useful. I have Bluetooth on my system but I only ever use it whenever I'm doing other stuff in the vicinity of the system and just want background music. I bought the cheapest Bluetooth receiver I could find on Amazon. Even if Schiit came out with a Bluetooth receiver, I wouldn't buy it simply because it's not worth the extra expenditure, given my use case.

Edit: If Bluetooth was included on a future Schiit DAC, I guess I could just ignore the Bluetooth but I wouldn't buy the DAC just because it had Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #65,564 of 149,576
Jason and company have stated before on this thread that they won't mess with it because it's a compressed and lossy transmission format.

To be honest, I would not consider Bluetooth for serious listening. Don't get me wrong, it is useful. I have Bluetooth on my system but I only ever use it whenever I'm doing other stuff in the vicinity of the system and just want background music. I bought the cheapest Bluetooth receiver I could find on Amazon. Even if Schiit came out with a Bluetooth receiver, I wouldn't buy it simply because it's not worth the extra expenditure, given my use case.

Edit: If Bluetooth was included on a future Schiit DAC, I guess I could just ignore the Bluetooth but I wouldn't buy the DAC just because it had Bluetooth.
The use case for me is to allow my speakers play youtube videos. Use a long usb cable could be annoying. I bought the ifi bluetooth receiver dac but found the sound quality very bad as compared to using its digital output to my yggy.

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #65,565 of 149,576
The use case for me is to allow my speakers play youtube videos. Use a long usb cable could be annoying. I bought the ifi bluetooth receiver dac but found the sound quality very bad as compared to using its digital output to my yggy.
Well... You're comparing Bluetooth to Yggy. Not really fair. I'm not sure you'll get anything close to Yggy sound quality out of Bluetooth but maybe others will speak with more authority on the sound quality on some of the newer Bluetooth codecs.

There's also the added variable of Youtube sound not being lossless. Granted some videos on YouTube have good sound and sound fine in my system but my system is far more humble and less resolving than a system with the Yggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back