Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 8, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #60,256 of 149,298
I haven't tried the Lyr 3 just yet, but Modius and Jot is a very clean, punchy, and resolving combo. Switching between SE and balanced input has me favoring the balanced input so far.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #60,259 of 149,298
I gave up on that and bought something else. The ONLY thing I want now is mono super Aegir - aka Maegirious Maximus.
What are you trying to drive? I'm running mono Aegir amps into 88dB 6 ohm speakers. Even running with my Freya in passive mode, I can't get near maximum volume before the volume gets painful.

Jun 8, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #60,260 of 149,298
As I mentioned on the dedicated Modius thread, the Modius has put the Jotunheim back on the map for me. I'm glad I didn't sell it after buying the also outstanding Lyr 3.

Balanced out of the Modius to the Jot to its XLR output is a pretty awesome combo. At least with my 650 and Aeolus.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #60,261 of 149,298
What are you trying to drive? I'm running mono Aegir amps into 88dB 6 ohm speakers. Even running with my Freya in passive mode, I can't get near maximum volume before the volume gets painful.

Magnepan .7. I also build my own speakers and want something with plenty of power for whatever I come up with.

Jun 8, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #60,262 of 149,298
My USPS carrier refuses to leave packages on my porch, even prior to COVID-19, and I've come home multiple times to soaking wet packages sitting in the middle of my driveway. Yes, I've complained, numerous times and at escalating levels. Apparently USPS union employees are untouchable. I'm sure that for every douchebag carrier like mine, there are 99 good ones, but I avoid using USPS because of it. YMMV
I've lived in 3 cities in the past 6 years. All the USPS carriers have brought packages to the front door and rung the door bell before leaving the package. 100% of the time. One brought a package marked "live fish" to the house 7 hours before the normal daily delivery time.

I even have had excellent service whenever I go to an actual post office. Last time I went (edit: Sunrise, FL), I was wandering around, and one of the USPS ladies shouted out at me "Can I help you ... what are you looking for?" Me: "the IRS 1040 instruction booklet." Her: "They're at the Public Library ... do you know where that is?" (I did.) I was in-and-out in less than 30 seconds.

As you said ... YMMV.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #60,264 of 149,298
As I mentioned on the dedicated Modius thread, the Modius has put the Jotunheim back on the map for me. I'm glad I didn't sell it after buying the also outstanding Lyr 3.

Balanced out of the Modius to the Jot to its XLR output is a pretty awesome combo. At least with my 650 and Aeolus.

After using the Asgard3 / Mimby combo for a little over a year I've bought a used Jotunheim from 2018, and just received conformation my Modius has left the building.. Exciting times..

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #60,265 of 149,298
Just picked up a SYS and have assembled quite a swiss army knife desktop Schiit setup:

Bifrost 2 fed by Denon DCD-50 CD player (Coax), Chromecast Audio (Optical), and PC (Unison USB).

I have the BF2 connected to the Jot via both balanced and SE in parallel, with the SYS and Loki in the SE chain. The Jot's pre-out feeds a pair of active bookshelf speakers (with their own Bluetooth input).

The SYS's second input is a 3.5mm to RCA cable, which allows me to run the output of DAPs and portable DACs (Chord Mojo, AQ DF Red/Cobalt) through the Loki to the Jot.

As an example, using my phone, I can play the same track:

- using the phone as a Roon remote to play from Roon library via USB to BF2 to Jot
- by casting via Roon or Qobuz to Google Chromecast via optical input of BF2
- via Bluetooth directly to the bluetooth input of the active speakers
- wired via lightning to 3.5mm dongle or an attached portable DAC (Lightning to USB) -> 3.5mm into SYS

This Schiit is fun. :)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #60,266 of 149,298
If Jot-R is $799, then nexus variant should be doable for same or less $$$ to drive planars & dymanics in same basic mid-sized package.
Are you sure that you are knowledgeable enough to set a price for a bunch of electronics based on another bunch of electronics?

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #60,267 of 149,298
All I'm asking for is the CD Transport. :D

Me too Ripper2860.
I installed the Unison USB input board in my Yggy last week.
It means my Yggy now has an unused Unison USB input, all ready and waiting to receive packets of goodness from the Unison USB output of Mike's new CD Transport :beyersmile:

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #60,270 of 149,298
My suggestion for the new amp's name is MAGNUM XL. :smirk:

Don't go changing the libation discussion from scotch and beer to champagne.

Boy, you guys aren’t asking enough of Jason, are you? :)
All I'm asking for is something I've been told he won't do. Darn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back