Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 8, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #60,241 of 149,163
I miss the era in which cars were really distinctive-looking. I will even take the 80s boxy designs over the shapeless curve-fest we have now. If you are going to do curves, you got to do them properly, like my favourite European non-supercar of all time, Citroen DS.

1591564091596.png

We had the last of the frog-eye models, the wagon. We lived in Tripoli at the time, and the family flew to France to pick it up at the factory, then drove it back overland to Libya.

So many adventures in that car...

I still want to own one - I've got a photo of the convertible version as my desktop image.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #60,243 of 149,163
The Modius and Asgard Combo looks like a good upgrade to my current home setup, OG Dacmagic and M-Stage.

The balanced outputs on the Modius and the rest of the I/O is a perfect match for what I have right now.

Picked up my first Schiit with the addition of the Modi 3 to my Office setup, very happy with it.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #60,247 of 149,163
My suggestion for the new amp's name is MAGNUM XL. :smirk:

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #60,250 of 149,163
An amp to match the new thin, slim Modius...wouldnt that be Hersey!!! ha!

I am sure Schitt is listening...

:>)

while the thinner (technically shorter) chassis offers a better aesthetic match to Modius' 1.5" height, and would be a bit cheaper to make, there are some disadvantages:

won't fit optional modules, so no phono-pre-amp (also a super-set of the code needed to realize a unison-based AK4493 DAC module exists, so AK4493 DAC module may be in the works already);
harder to incorporate the internal transformer and IEC power connector (could use an AC wall wart with 3-pin connection as this allows full-wave instead of half-wave rectification, but that would mean yet another wall wart for Alex to deal with, and a semi-custom or limited source one at that);
alps RK27 blue pot might be a tight fit;
existing large volume knob on shorter chassis would be ugly, and a smaller volume knob would be necessary as top edge of enclosure is rounded (yet another custom part for Alex to deal with);
0.500" shorter box may not fit vertical stacked RCA's, so need to use horizontal ones, meaning no rear SE pre-outs if there are SE inputs;

IMO, needs to sound better than Asgard 3 and Jotunheim or not worth doing.
Currently, four HP amp price tiers (each tier doubles in price over the lower one) is $99 Magni 3 series, $199 Asgard 3, $399 Jotunheim, $849 Mjolnir.

@Jason Stoddard how about developing a SS Mjolnir 3, with pricing between MJ2 and Jotunheim? Mid-chassis footprint, make it taller, maybe twice or golden-ratio the height of Modius, to fit everything.

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #60,252 of 149,163
All I'm asking for is the CD Transport. :D

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #60,253 of 149,163

+1 on the CD transport. I'm not asking for much, just don't want Jason & Co. to divert their engineering efforts from improving the middle & top tiers of the lineup. If Jot-R is $799, then nexus variant should be doable for same or less $$$ to drive planars & dymanics in same basic mid-sized package.

you are fortunate enough to have Bifrost 2 DAC's. I on the other hand, bought my Bifrost OG and an Asgard 2, both b-stock, about two months before the Bifrost 2 was announced. Had I waited, I could have gotten Bifrost 2 + Asgard 3, or the Classic Stack for much less money.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #60,254 of 149,163
That will also play music from thumb/hard drives!

you are fortunate enough to have Bifrost 2 DAC's. I on the other hand, bought my Bifrost OG and an Asgard 2, both b-stock, about two months before the Bifrost 2 was announced. Had I waited, I could have gotten Bifrost 2 + Asgard 3, or the Classic Stack for much less money.

I lucked up and got the last Classic stack, after missing out on 3 or 4 listings...

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #60,255 of 149,163
I picked up the Modius at the post office today. Just set it up and started listening maybe 20 minutes ago.

So far I'm pretty impressed with this DAC. Definitely different from the Modi Multibit. To me the resolution is the biggest thing that stands out, kind of like going from 1080p to 4K. Although the MM is a beautiful 1080p screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back