Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 30, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #59,732 of 150,704
Where are the Sol reviews? I would think folks would talking about it.

Maybe they are too busy listening and can’t be bothered with the interweb. :L3000:
I was wondering the exact same thing. I haven’t seen any major reviewers discuss the Sol at all. I’ve only seem some forum posts.

I am currently running an older Rega P3 and am considering a Sol, P3, or even a P6.

Thoughts on Sol?

May 30, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #59,733 of 150,704
What?!? You're still awaiting completion of your helicopter engine rebuild? Tell those guys to hurry up. :)

Funny but now you mention it I am pretty sure there is a helipad on site... Oh how the other half live!

May 30, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #59,734 of 150,704
Listen to Dr. Pietro, please. Maybe the most dangerous periods for those of us who are generally careful and can distance is when COVID-19 seems still distant or gone. I was on a business trip to Seattle in late February, where we now know there was community transmission. Everybody still shook hands, including the Uber driver who took me to the airport. At roughly the same time, my youngest brother-in-law in Portugal, super fit, active, and careful (he used to be a a fire captain and a S&R director) was also on a business trip. There were very few confirmed cases, nobody distanced. He caught COVID-19, and became the 2nd COVID-19 ICU patient in Lisbon. He died on May 9, alone in isolation. We still can't believe that he's gone. This is real, folks, and especially treacherous during lulls because of asymptomatic and light-symptomatic transmission.

My condolences.

May 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #59,736 of 150,704
That was the case from the time Pink Floyd released More. But, eventually, they released Dark Side of the Moon, then any color was fair game.

I like black. :)

...anything marketed by Shun Mook?

This has been my long-term favorite example of Mook-ey business. But sadly it appears to be out of stock, so no need to go into a wild frenzy whipping out the credit card. :)

1590883540942.png

May 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #59,737 of 150,704
Listen to Dr. Pietro, please. Maybe the most dangerous periods for those of us who are generally careful and can distance is when COVID-19 seems still distant or gone. I was on a business trip to Seattle in late February, where we now know there was community transmission. Everybody still shook hands, including the Uber driver who took me to the airport. At roughly the same time, my youngest brother-in-law in Portugal, super fit, active, and careful (he used to be a a fire captain and a S&R director) was also on a business trip. There were very few confirmed cases, nobody distanced. He caught COVID-19, and became the 2nd COVID-19 ICU patient in Lisbon. He died on May 9, alone in isolation. We still can't believe that he's gone. This is real, folks, and especially treacherous during lulls because of asymptomatic and light-symptomatic transmission.
meus sentimentos earnmyturns

May 30, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #59,738 of 150,704
May 30, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #59,739 of 150,704
and even more than Brilliant Pebbles?

JC

OMG!! How could we leave Geoff Kait and Machina Dynamica off the list? Bad us. Bad. :) Hard to know how we even survived without the Teleportation Tweak Long Distance System Upgrade where he could make dramatic improvements to the sound of your entire system by telephone. Perhaps he personally called and told it to sound better, or else? Not sure if the Morphic Message Labels were a prerequisite or an additional enhancement. :)

https://www.machinadynamica.com/machina5.htm

And just so we don't commit further forgetful inclusions, let's please remember the late Peter Belt and his rainbow foil, electret cream, and....well, pretty much anything that had his name associated with it. :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #59,740 of 150,704
That was the case from the time Pink Floyd released More. But, eventually, they released Dark Side of the Moon, then any color was fair game.

Well played.

May 31, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #59,741 of 150,704
Aw, come on, even though I have cultivated a taste for more sophisticated brews, there are some days when the classic American lager can't be beat. Their new Copper Lager is tasty, too. But don't get me started on Bud Lite.

I only drink a few "fancy" beers at most. If plan is to get drunk with the boys, then it's time for bulk lagers, long drinks (lonkero), and the likes.

May 31, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #59,742 of 150,704
Aw, come on, even though I have cultivated a taste for more sophisticated brews, there are some days when the classic American lager can't be beat. Their new Copper Lager is tasty, too. But don't get me started on Bud Lite.

Thanks for the rec on Copper Lager. Gonna go try some of that.

May 31, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #59,743 of 150,704
Lately, I’m kind of hung-up on this 20 year old album.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for turning me on to this album! It is excellent jazz, and quite unique: acoustic piano and drums with acoustic bass that is somehow synthesized. I never heard that band before. Now to seek their CDs and enjoy them. (Fortunately, many of their songs are available on youtube.)

May 31, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #59,744 of 150,704
I only drink a few "fancy" beers at most. If plan is to get drunk with the boys, then it's time for bulk lagers, long drinks (lonkero), and the likes.
Love the gin and grapefruit, but a friend in Helsinki made me one with lime some years back. Even better!

May 31, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #59,745 of 150,704
A transport does error correction, which is an algorithm that could conceivably be improved.

Hmm...the way error correction is done (Reed-Solomon) is additional information is provided in the data stream which can be used to detect and correct errors - but in order to do this the information needs to be encoded in the original data (25% of the data stream in fact). Yes, better error correction algorithms exist than were available than when the Red Book was finalized, but none of the CDs out there today have that better information encoded.

Reduced read errors (i.e. getting the data off the disc), on the other hand, is very possible.

ed

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back