Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 30, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #59,701 of 151,239
I think I read somewhere, sometime, that Budweiser has a brew-master-type person in each brewery whose job it is to make sure each batch "tastes like" Budweiser.

That would be an awesome job if it wasn’t for the fact that you’d need to drink Budweiser. I’d relocate in a heartbeat for similar job at Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, Paulaner or Franziskaner.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #59,702 of 151,239
green jacketed wire definitely sounds better than purple, especially when the wire only is available in black, red, yellow, green, or blue.

many years ago, there was a fad to put a green marker along the edges of CD's to make them sound better. some company sold these "special CD marker pens" for a premium, probably just re-branded some $0.99 ones for 20x markup.

LOL! I *do* remember that. CD Stoplight. It's a latex type paint, and the reason it's so expensive (I'm assuming here) is there's a little groove cut in the applicator tip that the edge of the CD fits into nicely so you don't end up drawing outside the lines. Yes I tried some, and yes I couldn't hear one bit of difference....despite really wanting to. :) Made the CD look kinda cool though, and raised lots of questions from non-audiophile visitors who subsequently became even further convinced they didn't want to be audiophiles. :)

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/audioprism-cd-stoplight

1590839089163.png

CD Stoplight.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #59,703 of 151,239
LOL! I *do* remember that. CD Stoplight. It's a latex type paint, and the reason it's so expensive (I'm assuming here) is there's a little groove cut in the applicator tip that the edge of the CD fits into nicely so you don't end up drawing outside the lines. Yes I tried some, and yes I couldn't hear one bit of difference....despite really wanting to. :) Made the CD look kinda cool though, and raised lots of questions from non-audiophile visitors who subsequently became even further convinced they didn't want to be audiophiles. :)

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/audioprism-cd-stoplight

1590839089163.png

That quote... LOL!

May 30, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #59,704 of 151,239
Love Darn Tough socks! The color choices are really cool. Great winter socks. Wearable most of the year (when you're not in sandals).
Made in Vermont by people that care about what they do.
Shout out to Darn Tough! But...Twice now, I've left their site in frustration. I love my tan Darn Tough socks from several years ago, but now, on the site, I don't know if they are Hike/Trek, Work, Athletic. Lifestyle, Hunting or Tactical socks. There seems to be a lot of overlap in categories and even with careful reading of all the descriptions, I'm not sure which will get me something like the ones I have.
I know, first world problem.
Trying to decide between too many choices without clear differences is a real problem though.
On the other hand, I'm sure they're all good and one of these days I'll just throw a dart at my screen and see where it sticks and buy a pair.

May 30, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #59,705 of 151,239
While visiting Japan last year, was fascinated to discover multiple varieties of Kit Kat bars. Flavors like matcha (my fave), various fruits, and just about anything else one could imagine. Some are regional and available only at airport gift shops, others at any 7-11. There are even boutique Kit Kat shops that sell "gourmet" flavors at $3 per single stick. Guess Americans aren't the only ones who enjoy choices.

As for Oreos, the recipe has changed several times over the years. There's a TV show called Eating History, which falls into the you-want-to-look-away-but-you-can't category. And which featured Oreos on one episode.

May 30, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #59,706 of 151,239
Speaking of Weihenstephaner, I fired up the sauna and will kick back one or two cold ones this evening. Doesn’t make the whole corona situation disappear, but it does make it bearable.

F59CBE3A-44CC-426D-A72E-08B4204CB408.jpeg

May 30, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #59,707 of 151,239
You really want to be careful with UV. Hence why we're concentrating more on the measurement side. If we did something powerful like that, it would be in a box with safety interlocks. And maybe not even then.
This is a brave new direction for your company. I hope it pans out. What I can tell the thread right now is online, physically-isolated applied science classes are a hot mess. What a disaster. In earlier posts, I mused about training the next generation of electricians, DIY-ers, and possibly electrical engineers. I tried to teach electrostatics and circuitry using 100% online content. Nope. That was unsuccessful. This was a garbage semester here North of the CN Tower. High school grades 9 & 10 are going to be seriously remedial in the Fall. :triportsad:
On a stranger note... apparently our education director of the TDSB is moving to California to lead a (county?) school board. In August, 2020. He's a good egg, and I hope he works out for you, eh.

This forum needs a "delete post" function...
+1 for that, @Roy G. Biv
I can't comment on the sound vs the HD600, but I do have the HD6XX currently running from a Bluesound Node 2i though an XMC-1 as the DAC to a Magni 3. Sounds amazing to me, and way louder than I should comfortably listen to. Scotch Mods help even more :xf_cool:
I took a week-long break from my fancy Ether Cs ... and used my HD6xx on my Magni 3, Vali 2, and Asgard 2. They were far more comfortable to use during our heat wave (and before my condo activated its air conditioning).

The Scotch filters are nice with certain genres...like all of them!
+1, @StevePNW
While doing some clean-up, I just found an old Blu-ray player (was bought about 10 years ago, put in storage, and recently re-discovered). Hooked it up via toslink (does not have coax digital out) to my Bifrost OG and it sounded OK. Not wanting to leave well enough alone, I downloaded new firmware and flashed the unit, but noticed then that the sound had changed, and not for the better. After some investigation, it turned out that the new firmware defaulted to turning on dynamic compression. Best to always check audio settings after any firmware "update"
So, your player was able to have its firmware upgraded? I wonder if Schiit's success with Bifrost 2's upgrade-able not-an-OS will also be applied to their next generation of DAC/GADGET(...does anyone still use that REDACTED-joke?)/tone-control/Pi-HAT boxes? I'm assuming many boutique electronics companies (like Schiit?) are looking at reducing the amount of gear being returned to their repair depots. We'll see, eh...
Does anyone else think Audiophiles (or audio enthusiasts) are having an easier time with the stay at home orders? "Oh you mean I should stay at home and spend more time listening to music?....{{{snip}}}...
My listening nook has saved my sanity during this quarantine more than once. I live in high density, vertical housing (tower) and the penned up children make a racket in the adjacent suites.
I could use a schpliif.
...that makes two of us, @liamo . Until this semester ends (and I somehow keep my traumatised students engaged), I'm stone cold sober. On a brighter note, I've added another expensive hobby to my 50-year-old life. DSLR. And macro photography at that. These units are NOT my father's PENTAX. Whoah. :robot:

May 30, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #59,708 of 151,239
May 30, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #59,709 of 151,239
May 30, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #59,710 of 151,239
Good to hear! We were going to head up to camp in the Muskoka region for Memorial Day weekend but the US / Canada border was still closed...
That'll be on the East side of Georgian Bay (French River). If you decide to come on up (once the borders reopen), I'm pleased to report that Highway 400 has been expanded all the way (possibly) to Sudbury. "A place to see... a place to grow... ONTARIO". :xf_cool:

May 30, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #59,713 of 151,239
While visiting Japan last year, was fascinated to discover multiple varieties of Kit Kat bars. Flavors like matcha (my fave), various fruits, and just about anything else one could imagine. Some are regional and available only at airport gift shops, others at any 7-11. There are even boutique Kit Kat shops that sell "gourmet" flavors at $3 per single stick. Guess Americans aren't the only ones who enjoy choices.

As for Oreos, the recipe has changed several times over the years. There's a TV show called Eating History, which falls into the you-want-to-look-away-but-you-can't category. And which featured Oreos on one episode.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...dine-at-the-worlds-first-custom-kit-kat-shop/

May 30, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #59,715 of 151,239
That'll be on the East side of Georgian Bay (French River). If you decide to come on up (once the borders reopen), I'm pleased to report that Highway 400 has been expanded all the way (possibly) to Sudbury. "A place to see... a place to grow... ONTARIO". :xf_cool:

Yeah, It's beautiful up there! Used to stay in cabins on the French River as a kid...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back