Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 27, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #59,612 of 150,648
I've always thought of them as the Stones.
Most easy is to take the real name and forgo modifications.
Like in my mind the man who fertilized my mother was a screwing Monster but I always addressed him as "father".

May 27, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #59,613 of 150,648
Did you get the standard or expedited shipping?

Edit: I'm thinking of buying a pair and getting the expedited two day shipping, but not if they are going to take a couple of weeks to actually process the order and ship it.

So I did order a pair of HD6XX, on the 13th, and I received it today, so exactly two weeks to receive it. I did get the expedited shipping anyway, and they upgraded it to overnight shipping without me doing anything.

Edit: Meddle sounds better on an HD6XX than it does on an HD600.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #59,614 of 150,648
In my house we use the alphabet for this.
Never fails.
That works for most music except for Classical. Some classical records and CDs will have pieces from several different composers. You can file it under the conductor, which tends to but not always only have one conductor per record. But some soloists are so BIG you want to file them under their name. Big name vocalists are even more identifiable that instrument players.
My haphazard ordering system kinda separates rock, jazz, classical, peculiar, strange, weird, really weird... and within that I use my memory of where that CD is.
It is a great technique for throwing a lot of randomness into my hunt for Monitor's one and only LP/CD.
I wonder if anybody has ever really solved the Classical Music sorting situation?

May 27, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #59,615 of 150,648
That works for most music except for Classical. Some classical records and CDs will have pieces from several different composers. You can file it under the conductor, which tends to but not always only have one conductor per record. But some soloists are so BIG you want to file them under their name. Big name vocalists are even more identifiable that instrument players.
My haphazard ordering system kinda separates rock, jazz, classical, peculiar, strange, weird, really weird... and within that I use my memory of where that CD is.
It is a great technique for throwing a lot of randomness into my hunt for Monitor's one and only LP/CD.
I wonder if anybody has ever really solved the Classical Music sorting situation?

For physical media, my classical collection defies easy sorting as it is mostly in the form of mega-box sets (e.g., 25 or more discs, some quite a bit more). For sorting of digital rips, I've developed a hierarchy of sorting that helpfully organizes about 99% of my collection:

- COMPOSER
- CONDUCTOR
- ENSEMBLE
- PERFORMER
- LABEL/THEME

Thus, I find the Bach 333 and Mozart 225 boxes alphabetically under composer, the Bernstein Sony and Karajan DG boxes under conductor, Vienna Phil and Academy of St. Martin of the Fields under ensemble, Rudolf Serkin and Arthur Rubinstein under performer, and Decca Sound and Sony Vivarte sets under label. If something trips multiple critieria, it gets sorted under the first in the list - e.g., Bach Cantatas by John Eliot Gardiner and the Monteverdi Choir are under Bach.

I haven't tried to apply my digital sorting criteria to my physical library, but I have so few (relatively) single discs that they are easy enough to browse with a quick glance. Meanwhile, with lossless Qobuz and Primephonic playing through a Bifrost2 and Jotunheim, I hardly grab a physical disc anymore. Perhaps the Schiit transport will change that (hint, hint, *cough* announcement *cough*).

May 27, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #59,616 of 150,648
Memento of the first car I paid for (rather than getting as a hand-me-down) - a 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet convertible. It's handy for holding down a single key on my keyboard when I'm troubleshooting boot issues.

You paid real money (I mean, like as opposed to Monopoly money) for a Valiant? HooBoy.

Just kidding. This was my first car. I always liked convertibles. :)

First Car.jpg

May 27, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #59,617 of 150,648
You paid real money (I mean, like as opposed to Monopoly money) for a Valiant? HooBoy.

Just kidding. This was my first car. I always liked convertibles. :)

First Car.jpg

That thing had tubes in the engine compartment, didn't it?

May 27, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #59,618 of 150,648
"I told you that story about how Charlie Parker became Charlie Parker, right?"

P.S Been binge-watching Bosch over the past few days. Now I can't get jazz out of my head. Hopefully it'll stay there for a while.

And for another elemental story about Charlie Parker's flavor of jazz...

Kenny Clarke kept playing those offbeats and little rhythmic tricks on the bass drums. I used to imitate him and I'd ask him, "What is that klook-mop stuff?" That's what it sounded like, and that's what we called the music they were playing. Later on we called it be-bop.

- Teddy Hill, quoted in Hear Me Talkin' to Ya, by Nat Shapiro and Nat Hentoff

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #59,619 of 150,648

I had an excellent software program for cataloging and being able to cope with the multi composer/conductor on one disc and searching by any criteria many years ago. Can't remember the name but I think XP was the last OS it would work with, it was never updated for any subsequent OS. It wasn't a user data base type like DVD Profiler, so one had to input the info on a check sheet, but it was very flexible in use and I could search by genre, title, composer, compositional type, conductor, orchestra, etc., make up printable reports, it was very good.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #59,620 of 150,648

If someone has, please let me know.

Our CD collection is 95% blues/rock/jazz with the rest being my wife's classical CDs. I've tried several CD ripping programs that access several music databases and the results have been, to be polite, a Schiit-show of results for classical music.

Should the artist/sort artist be:

The composer?
The conductor?
The symphony or orchestra?
The soloist/main artist?

Roon certainly helps but is far from being an end-game solution.

May 27, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #59,621 of 150,648
Aren't there official archival standards for cataloguing that you could look at for rules of attribution? That wouldn't necessarily help in terms of actual end user organization, but it may suggest an organizational system.

May 28, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #59,624 of 150,648
Aren't there official archival standards for cataloguing that you could look at for rules of attribution? That wouldn't necessarily help in terms of actual end user organization, but it may suggest an organizational system.

I'm unfamiliar with any "official archival standards..." but I would guess some exist. My educated guess is most things like this involving "official standards" either:

1. meet some special interest. Example, cataloging by Record Label and the labels release ID (number or alpha-numerical thing) is great for the records labels, distributors, and retail outlets to track inventory. Does not help if you want a Wergo LP or CD that includes Ligeti's Lontano, but you do not want the defective releases with high distortion right at the climax. (Yes, some would say the whole piece is nothing but distortion...)

2. or attempts to make too many interests happy, and we are back to a kludgy barely workable system.

If you are familiar with www.discogs.com, a marketplace for recorded music, lps, cds, tapes, items are sorted by "artist." Back to, who is the artist? The composer, the conductor, the performer(s)?

What is needed is something that cross-references all that, but doesn't simply add to the confusion. And at home, I have CDs. I don't want to look in a data base to find something. Oh well. I stumbled on my CD of Hamster Dance a few months ago. What was it doing in the Classical section ?!?!

Warning: the visual appearance of the linked video is a pretty good clue as to what it sounds like.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #59,625 of 150,648
That thing had tubes in the engine compartment, didn't it?

Well, the engine compartment was basically my feet. But I always wore tube socks back then. Does that count? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back