Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 28, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #59,627 of 150,750
Well, the engine compartment was basically my feet. But I always wore tube socks back then. Does that count? :)
And...when you grew up? :wink:

1590670562129.png

May 28, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #59,631 of 150,750
If someone has, please let me know.

Our CD collection is 95% blues/rock/jazz with the rest being my wife's classical CDs. I've tried several CD ripping programs that access several music databases and the results have been, to be polite, a Schiit-show of results for classical music.

Should the artist/sort artist be:

The composer?
The conductor?
The symphony or orchestra?
The soloist/main artist?

Roon certainly helps but is far from being an end-game solution.
I sort on composer (the real artist for me) -> epos -> artist -> director (if available)
As a rule directors should not be marked as artists or even musicians. Alas many people do.
It gives me the broadest picture in my music library. (we should really discuss another name for a collection of music and no books)
Of course it can all be changed with the click of a virtual button if digital.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #59,632 of 150,750
May 28, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #59,634 of 150,750
Silly question: The coax input on my Gumby, is that coax only or does an optical cable with one of those mini toslink adapters work as well?
No that will not work. Only the optical input will take the optical cable. The mini toslink is made for those combo 1/8inch headphone jacks that are combined with a minitoslink transceiver like on the older Macbooks.

You would need some kind of media converter to change the signal from electrical to a light signal. The Coax RCA cable carries an electrical signal. The Optical cable carries a light signal. This would correspond to Layer 1 "Physical" of the OSI model.

The BNC, COAX/RCA, and Optical ports on your Gumby all receive a S/PDIF Pulse Code Modulated signal. But only the BNC and RCA are electrical and can be with significant caveats (too much to detail here) can be interchanged if adapters are used and the DAC can adapt to the signal or the source change the signal to match destination port. The Optical port is light only, but doesn't suffer from interference or ground loops like BNC and RCA. However Optical tends to have more jitter and often Optical ports have maximum sample rate /bit depth limitations such as 96Khz/16bit or 192Khz/24bit (of debatable importance depending on your quasi-religious beliefs (or opinion) on the abilities of the human ear). An AES, AES3, AES/EBU port is balanced so interference can be canceled and ground loops are prevented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #59,636 of 150,750
I have a question for my USA friends.
Some stoopid Dutchman sitting next to me at the moment is bragging to his friends about his stay in the US.
He just told the story that Oreos (a sort of biscuit) tastes different in every state because they are made in different factories.
And I sort of told him he was a moron in the kind, respectful and easy way you all know from me.
Please help.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #59,637 of 150,750
Some stoopid Dutchman sitting next to me at the moment is bragging to his friends about his stay in the US.
He just told the story that Oreos (a sort of biscuit) tastes different in every state because they are made in different factories.
Please help.

Nope.

May 28, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #59,638 of 150,750
And I sort of told him he was a moron in the kind, respectful and easy way you all know from me.
Please help.

I've never noticed such a thing. Besides I don't think Oreos are made in all 50 states. Probably are made in several regional factories but not distributed based on state boundaries in any regard. These things aren't a military airplane with parts from every state and most districts (a tactic used by military contractors to prevent defunding of a major weapon system).

Also in the President's American we say "cookie" not "biscuit". Please stop with the atrocious British-Imperialist vocabulary we don't speak the British dialect of American. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #59,639 of 150,750
May 28, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #59,640 of 150,750
Please help.

Well, undoubtedly Oreos are produced in more than one facility in the US, and it's possible that there will be subtle differences between facilities, as well as between batches in a single facility. But likely the only ones who could detect those flavor differences would be like the people who can claim to detect audio differences between various interconnects with different colored jacket material and the like...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back