Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #59,536 of 153,088
I read this to mean that the designer/owner of the company cared enough about his customer to customize the crossover to meet the customers needs/equipment. Pretty amazing to me.

Exactly right. Would have been far easier for him just to take the speakers back than go to the lengths he did to make me happy.

May 25, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #59,537 of 153,088
Only since adding 15" subwoofer to my 2-channel rig. :unamused:

I thought you added the 15" subwoofer(s) to your HD-6XX's. You need to be more clear in your PM's. :)

May 25, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #59,538 of 153,088
I am excited to see what the new product is going to be. My personal dream choice would be a Nexus preamp/gain stage + Continuity based headamp in the same chassis. So basically a Ragnarok that does not have a speaker amp, but instead focuses on headphone output and is a Freya quality preamp. While I would not be looking to use a module with it, ability to have a module would basically make it the perfect single component to combo with a power amp or powered monitors for a nice streamlined whole setup.

Probably way too niche, but I would personally be all over it. Would certainly streamline my Gungnir Multibit+Freya S+Mjolnir stack that feeds my headphones and Aegir/speakers.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #59,539 of 153,088
All this talk about the Kewpie mayonnaise spurred my interest so I decided to order some and it's quite delicious. To my unsophisticated palate there are notes of mustard in it, but as always, ymmv. Also, I finished the Schiit book so the first person to PM their info, will get it next (USA only please, as shipping elsewhere would be too much, sorry).

eUvoPDzl.jpg

May 25, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #59,545 of 153,088

I found a case that makes a Raspberry Pi feel a lot more like a “real” product by moving all the I/O ports to the back and adding a physical shutdown/bootup button. It’s amazing the difference having all the cables exiting only one side of the case (instead of two as is usual) makes, compared to other cases (including the Flirc case referenced above). It’s built out of aluminum, so it feels very solid and dissipates heat passively (and therefore quietly), although there is a fan included, software controllable. I’m very pleased with it, but as you can see from the pic, my little stack would look s-o-o-o-o much better if it was a Schiit shaped case.

IMG_0731.jpeg

And just to keep up the tradition others have started, here’s a pic of the cabling:

IMG_0732.jpeg

The interconnects are primarily monoprice. I thought of getting Pysts but at US$20 a pop (i.e. almost CAD$40 by the time shipping and duty are added) it made more sense to go for CAD$6 monoprice. They are a bit stiff, but they do the job.

And of course, the most important consideration of all — how to power such a mighty pile of Schiit:

IMG_0733.jpeg

Thanks to all the others who have gone before with their Schiit piles!

:wink: :wink:

P.S. I decided to go the Pi 4 -> Eitr -> Modi Uber rather than going for a Pi HaT. The Allo Digione Signature is nearly US$250 before buying a case and two power supplies. The B-stock Eitr was only US$99 and sounds pretty good to me.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #59,546 of 153,088
I found a case that makes a Raspberry Pi feel a lot more like a “real” product by moving all the I/O ports to the back and adding a physical shutdown/bootup button. It’s amazing the difference having all the cables exiting only one side of the case (instead of two as is usual) makes, compared to other cases (including the Flirc case referenced above). It’s built out of aluminum, so it feels very solid and dissipates heat passively (and therefore quietly), although there is a fan included, software controllable. I’m very pleased with it, but as you can see from the pic, my little stack would look s-o-o-o-o much better if it was a Schiit shaped case.

And just to keep up the tradition others have started, here’s a pic of the cabling:

The interconnects are primarily monoprice. I thought of getting Pysts but at US$20 a pop (i.e. almost CAD$40 by the time shipping and duty are added) it made more sense to go for CAD$6 monoprice. They are a bit stiff, but they do the job.

And of course, the most important consideration of all — how to power such a mighty pile of Schiit:

Thanks to all the others who have gone before with their Schiit piles!

:wink: :wink:

nick rack, looks like it was custom made for the Schiit small-case (but high performance) products.

IMO just put the pi on the floor, next to the sea of wall warts.

was also going to recommend moving the magni up top (or drilling some holes in the top plate using a drill press and fluted bit) for cooling, but I see that you live in the great cold north (aka Canada) :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #59,547 of 153,088
I am excited to see what the new product is going to be. My personal dream choice would be a Nexus preamp/gain stage + Continuity based headamp in the same chassis. So basically a Ragnarok that does not have a speaker amp, but instead focuses on headphone output and is a Freya quality preamp..

Hmmm. Well, IIRC Continuity is intended to help a speaker amp stretch Class A sound into the AB power range. It wouldn’t be necessary to build a headphone amp that way because you can just build it to run Class A all the time into whatever power limit is practical...?

May 25, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #59,550 of 153,088
Hmmm. Well, IIRC Continuity is intended to help a speaker amp stretch Class A sound into the AB power range. It wouldn’t be necessary to build a headphone amp that way because you can just build it to run Class A all the time into whatever power limit is practical...?

Lyr 3 utilizes Continuity and is a HP amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back