Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #58,636 of 149,394
I believe Valiant66 was referring to Tidal vs Qobuz vs Amazon HD. You spend time on that service curating a playlist and if the company folds, you might lose those playlists entirely and have to remake them on whatever streaming service you then migrate to.
Ah I understand.
That's true of course but the risk is minimal for Amazon and Tidal.
Qubuz can be a question mark in the US.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #58,637 of 149,394
Yeah, my internet connection to the router was not the problem. I figured it was either wifi with the Pi, or the Max2Play/LMS versions. I have updated both now, and so far so good. Part of kind of hopes saying so jinxes it so I have concrete proof it did not fix it. Part of me is also hoping it just continues to work and I can accept it is fixed quickly and not get burned if it starts stuttering later. I have queued up three or four Hi Res albums, so that should be a good test.
Yay, I jinxed it. Started acting up, so I started playing around with other settings. Then I realized I need to focus on work. Will try with a wired connection later to see if that changes things. If not, I might just spring for a Pi 4 and hope that helps.

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #58,638 of 149,394
I sure wish that Spotify would integrate with Roon. Haven’t tried any of the others, and have a Spotify family plan that everyone else uses, and don’t want to pay for two plans.
320 kbps is fine for streaming, and it’s only for discovering new stuff and deciding what to by on CD or HR.
For now, at least it works to have Spotify also running on my Roon core, so I can play one or the other.

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #58,639 of 149,394
I sure wish that Spotify would integrate with Roon. Haven’t tried any of the others, and have a Spotify family plan that everyone

Will never happen. Spotify has no interest in playing nice with Roon and Roon has some very specific requirements on importing a streaming services entire catalog to surface the metadata they need to make the app work. I'd use it if it happened but I believe it never will.

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #58,640 of 149,394
I sure wish that Spotify would integrate with Roon.

Amen, brother!

I find more interesting new-to-me music thru Spotify than I do thru Roon/Qobuz. My wife loves Spotify and has multiple playlists that can't readily be 100% replicated on Roon/Qobuz.

Those are the reasons I maintain accounts with both Spotify and Roon.

Will never happen. Spotify has no interest in playing nice with Roon and Roon has some very specific requirements on importing a streaming services entire catalog to surface the metadata they need to make the app work. I'd use it if it happened but I believe it never will.

I wish you were wrong but you hit the nail on the head.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #58,641 of 149,394
By way of an update as well as acknowledgement of the thoughtful feedback:

With nearly 40 years of marriage under our belts, my lovely wife will readily admit that while she loves to listen to music, she is vastly less interested than am I in the particular means of delivery of said music. So the agreement we have struck as we prepare for retirement is for me to take the necessary steps to "get this out of my system" and yet stay within a particular budget we have set for this, or, to put it another way, go buy your darn speakers and amps, but don't come back looking for more stuff! :wink:

I’m good with this too, for surprisingly similar reasons; I want to be able to listen to music, using a good enough system so that I don’t have to dwell too much on further upgrades to the nature of the system past this set-up phase, or to put it another way, I want the system to be good enough to get out of the way of my desire to enjoy listening to music.

I can see the wry smiles out there; “bless his heart” as we say in the south, he's gonna be buying new stuff within months, but hey, one can dream!

So here’s where I’m at now:

Speakers, set; Maggie 1.7i--being ordered
Power Amp, set; Vidar stereo, will order when ready
Pre-amp, set, Freya + -- will order when ready
DAC, now set, Yggy GS, will order soon
Interconnects, Blue Jeans, but I have a lot of what I need already (including some speaker cables from Paladin79!)
Source, in hand; CD collection and CA transport

Rationale; I was headed for mono Vidars and I haven’t given up, but I think its reasonable to start out with one and get acquainted with the setup—once its all bedded in, I can work on selling the Bifrost, the proceeds of which I can put toward the second Vidar and by my calculations still stay under budget. I think the Yggy GS is a good compromise of budget and sets up a quality foundation for the long haul.

My initial research forays into the digital world of Roon cores and endpoints, Tidal and Qobuz, etc., pretty much demonstrated that it is a configuration quagmire that will quickly become a distraction from the core principle—enjoy the music! So I will take my time to rip my CDs and build the disc-based collection first while further exploring and having a little fun with trialing the different systems before making any commitments.

+1 for the Yggrasil GS
I'm currently running one along with mono Vidars feeding Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures. I've always wanted Magnepan 1.7s though.

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #58,642 of 149,394
s
Amen, brother!

I find more interesting new-to-me music thru Spotify than I do thru Roon/Qobuz. My wife loves Spotify and has multiple playlists that can't readily be 100% replicated on Roon/Qobuz.

Those are the reasons I maintain accounts with both Spotify and Roon.

I wish you were wrong but you hit the nail on the head.
yep david and goliath but David is not gonna win, especially not with current subscription options

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #58,643 of 149,394
yep david and goliath but David is not gonna win, especially not with current subscription options

And we'll always have Ford and Lexus, too.

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #58,644 of 149,394

With nearly 40 years of marriage under our belts, my lovely wife will readily admit that while she loves to listen to music, she is vastly less interested than am I in the particular means of delivery of said music. So the agreement we have struck as we prepare for retirement is for me to take the necessary steps to "get this out of my system" and yet stay within a particular budget we have set for this, or, to put it another way, go buy your darn speakers and amps, but don't come back looking for more stuff! :wink:

I’m good with this too, for surprisingly similar reasons; I want to be able to listen to music, using a good enough system so that I don’t have to dwell too much on further upgrades to the nature of the system past this set-up phase, or to put it another way, I want the system to be good enough to get out of the way of my desire to enjoy listening to music.

I can see the wry smiles out there; “bless his heart” as we say in the south, he's gonna be buying new stuff within months, but hey, one can dream!

Interconnects, Blue Jeans, but I have a lot of what I need already (including some speaker cables from Paladin79!)

Rationale; I was headed for mono Vidars and I haven’t given up, but I think its reasonable to start out with one and get acquainted with the setup—once its all bedded in, I can work on selling the Bifrost, the proceeds of which I can put toward the second Vidar and by my calculations still stay under budget. I think the Yggy GS is a good compromise of budget and sets up a quality foundation for the long haul.

My initial research forays into the digital world of Roon cores and endpoints, Tidal and Qobuz, etc., pretty much demonstrated that it is a configuration quagmire that will quickly become a distraction from the core principle—enjoy the music! So I will take my time to rip my CDs and build the disc-based collection first while further exploring and having a little fun with trialing the different systems before making any commitments.

You're on your way to awesomeness. The only thing I would change is to forgo the second Vidar and use that money to get the full blown Yggy.

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #58,645 of 149,394
I had Gen 5 and went to Unison. Definitely noticed a difference. Wasn’t just my opinion either. Cleaner, clearer signal and everything just sounds more focused!

I don't have Unison on anything yet, but I'd be willing to bet you won't be able to tell the difference. I plan to upgrade my Gungnir multibit from Gen5 to Unison soon, but that's only because my Gen5 input stopped working, and I figure if I'm sending it in anyway, I might as well upgrade. Since I've been using an Eitr in the meanwhile, I'll be able to compare Gen5/Eitr to Unison when the unit comes back.
I was hesitating since it was my main headphone station DAC and I didn't want to go without it, but I just picked up an Ayre Codex, and that's been sounding pretty good and will occupy my bedroom for now while waiting for Gumby's return.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #58,647 of 149,394

Congrats on retirement. Listen and enjoy the music; worry less about the equipment.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #58,648 of 149,394

You're on your way to awesomeness. The only thing I would change is to forgo the second Vidar and use that money to get the full blown Yggy.
+1
I don't know about the Vidar, but I would not skimp on the DAC and I would get the newest one with A2 and Unison. More bulletproof for the future! Just my two cents and feel free to ignore it. At your own peril!!! :darthsmile::darthsmile:

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #58,649 of 149,394
LMS is an abbreviation for Logitech Media Server, which was formerly known as Squeezebox Server.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Media_Server
It is open source software used to run the range of devices which were manufactured by Slim Devices, and which was subsequently acquired by Logitech.
I have five of these Logitech devices!

I have an original SliMP3 from before the Logitech acquisition, but I haven't used it in many years. I've been considering my streaming options for my main system (which currently is vinyl only). The lack of digital out is probably a downside on this, as I doubt the DAC in it is anything special.

Do you happen to know if this nearly 20 year-old hardware still works with LMS and if it's worth trying to find the AC adapter and remote?

Thanks,
Mike

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #58,650 of 149,394
the risk is minimal for Amazon and Tidal.
Qubuz can be a question mark in the US.
Tidal and Qobuz are tiny, nonprofitable businesses at high risk for not surviving long term. Tidal has been close to running out of cash several times but they seem to keep finding an investor to stay running a few more years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back