Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 30, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #58,621 of 150,445
That looks like a great system!
I hope you, and your wife, enjoy it :beyersmile:
anyone have any opinions as to whether I should add the USB unison upgrade? (the windows limitation is not an issue)

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #58,622 of 150,445
For a Roon server, I tried existing Macs and Windows systems and was dissatisfied. I ended up with an Intel NUC, loaded ROCK onto it (not as trivial a task as it should be) and have been happy ever since. Less than the cost of a Mac mini and a really solid server.

I might go that route if my MacMini ever gives up the ghost. For future reference I bookmarked this article https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/ca-academy/the-definitive-guide-to-roon-optimized-core-kit-rock-r652/ that does make it seem like something of an ordeal to set up.

LMS is an abbreviation for Logitech Media Server, which was formerly known as Squeezebox Server.
I am sure LMS is not as good as Roon, but it works brilliantly, and is very 'light' on a PC, unlike Roon.

Thanks! I have heard of it but it's one that I haven't tried.
If it does everything you want and you enjoy using it then it's every bit as good as Roon!

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #58,623 of 150,445
pretty much demonstrated that it is a configuration quagmire that will quickly become a distraction from the core principle—

It was a distraction for about a week where I spent the time focusing on deployment and stability. Now it's something I rarely think about and it just works. My background is in networks so that probably helped the learning curve. But, now that I've got a stable Roon system up and running every room in the house "just works" and I can carry remotes to any room with the same interface. If I only had a single system then the value of Roon in my system would be less. But the fact I can drop an endpoint anywhere in the house and my entire library is accessible from the same remote is a huge value prop. Well worth the time I took to get it set-up and stable over that week.

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #58,624 of 150,445
I use LMS and enjoy it at all. My one gripe is using Qobuz on it. However, it is likely due to either using an older version of LMS or my Raspberry Pi 3+ having issues with wifi, or... I don't know. Sometimes it plays well, and sometimes it stutters like crazy. However, for my local files, it is wonderful. I will troubleshoot more later.

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #58,625 of 150,445
It was a distraction for about a week where I spent the time focusing on deployment and stability. Now it's something I rarely think about and it just works. My background is in networks so that probably helped the learning curve. But, now that I've got a stable Roon system up and running every room in the house "just works" and I can carry remotes to any room with the same interface. If I only had a single system then the value of Roon in my system would be less. But the fact I can drop an endpoint anywhere in the house and my entire library is accessible from the same remote is a huge value prop. Well worth the time I took to get it set-up and stable over that week.
that's good to hear, and to be clear, I very much intend to head in that direction, just not rush it, take my time, and enjoy the journey!

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #58,626 of 150,445
By way of an update as well as acknowledgement of the thoughtful feedback:

SNIP

My initial research forays into the digital world of Roon cores and endpoints, Tidal and Qobuz, etc., pretty much demonstrated that it is a configuration quagmire that will quickly become a distraction from the core principle—enjoy the music! So I will take my time to rip my CDs and build the disc-based collection first while further exploring and having a little fun with trialing the different systems before making any commitments.

Configuration of Roon is pretty straightforward. If you want to play with e.g Rpi endpoints or to setup a NUC yourself, then it requires work. However, once setup ROCK is as solid as, well, a rock and the endpoints are set for auto updating which they seem to do quite happily.

The rest is listening :_)

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #58,627 of 150,445
anyone have any opinions as to whether I should add the USB unison upgrade? (the windows limitation is not an issue)
I don't have Unison on anything yet, but I'd be willing to bet you won't be able to tell the difference. I plan to upgrade my Gungnir multibit from Gen5 to Unison soon, but that's only because my Gen5 input stopped working, and I figure if I'm sending it in anyway, I might as well upgrade. Since I've been using an Eitr in the meanwhile, I'll be able to compare Gen5/Eitr to Unison when the unit comes back.
I was hesitating since it was my main headphone station DAC and I didn't want to go without it, but I just picked up an Ayre Codex, and that's been sounding pretty good and will occupy my bedroom for now while waiting for Gumby's return.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #58,628 of 150,445
I use LMS and enjoy it at all. My one gripe is using Qobuz on it. However, it is likely due to either using an older version of LMS or my Raspberry Pi 3+ having issues with wifi, or... I don't know. Sometimes it plays well, and sometimes it stutters like crazy. However, for my local files, it is wonderful. I will troubleshoot more later.

Good to hear there is another happy LMS user out there.
I have very poor internet speed where I live, but streaming Qobuz using their 'CD FLAC' option ( 16/44.1) on LMS doesn't stutter at all and sounds great.
I found that TIDAL stuttered a lot and I didn't think the sound quality was as good as Qobuz so I binned it. No regrets about that!
For many years I used the Logitech Transporter as a server, DAC ( for CD Transport) and preamp, feeding active loudspeakers and I was very happy with it.
About two years ago I added the Yggy as an external DAC, which has taken it to another level.
I think it sounds fantastic and with the LMS iPeng app and Qobuz plug in, it provides all the functionality I need.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #58,629 of 150,445
Good to hear there is another happy LMS user out there.
I have very poor internet speed where I live, but streaming Qobuz using their 'CD FLAC' option ( 16/44.1) on LMS doesn't stutter at all and sounds great.
I found that TIDAL stuttered a lot and I didn't think the sound quality was as good as Qobuz so I binned it. No regrets about that!
For many years I used the Logitech Transporter as a server, DAC ( for CD Transport) and preamp, feeding active loudspeakers and I was very happy with it.
About two years ago I added the Yggy as an external DAC, which has taken it to another level.
I think it sounds fantastic and with the LMS iPeng app and Qobuz plug in, it provides all the functionality I need.

Conversely, I have some pretty good internet (around 300 Mbps download), and when the pi decides to start acting up it does not matter if it is CD or high res, it stutters. Currently I am using a free Max2Play OS for LMS. I may play around with other OS options. Or I might try ethernet capable at some point and see if that helps. Or upgrade to a Pi 4, or... there are options. Other OS might be good as it seems Max2Play limits what version of LMS you can have, and there have been updates.

Edit: Of course, after I post this, I check and see there is a Max2Play update, which then offers me more LMS update options. Will poke around them and see if there is any performance improvements.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #58,630 of 150,445
Conversely, I have some pretty good internet (around 300 Mbps download), and when the pi decides to start acting up it does not matter if it is CD or high res, it stutters. Currently I am using a free Max2Play OS for LMS. I may play around with other OS options. Or I might try ethernet capable at some point and see if that helps. Or upgrade to a Pi 4, or... there are options. Other OS might be good as it seems Max2Play limits what version of LMS you can have, and there have been updates.

Edit: Of course, after I post this, I check and see there is a Max2Play update, which then offers me more LMS update options. Will poke around them and see if there is any performance improvements.

Good luck!
It sounds like the problem could with the RPi/Max2Play and not your internet connection.
I have never used Max2Play but a friend does with his RPi 4. He recently added the Qobuz plug in and took out a subscription after a free trial , (on my recommendation)..
He said it works fine and loves it.
I think he uses a wired ethernet connection between the RPi 4 and his router
I use WiFi and I have no problems.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #58,631 of 150,445
Good luck!
It sounds like the problem could with the RPi/Max2Play and not your internet connection.
I have never used Max2Play but a friend does with his RPi 4. He recently added the Qobuz plug in and took out a subscription after a free trial , (on my recommendation)..
He said it works fine and loves it.
I think he uses a wired ethernet connection between the RPi 4 and his router
I use WiFi and I have no problems.
Yeah, my internet connection to the router was not the problem. I figured it was either wifi with the Pi, or the Max2Play/LMS versions. I have updated both now, and so far so good. Part of kind of hopes saying so jinxes it so I have concrete proof it did not fix it. Part of me is also hoping it just continues to work and I can accept it is fixed quickly and not get burned if it starts stuttering later. I have queued up three or four Hi Res albums, so that should be a good test.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #58,632 of 150,445
I don't know if came up your radar with all the news coming out, but we have just received the first piece of real good news so far in the pandemic. Remdesivir, a drug originally developed to treat Ebola, but did not work very well, has been shown to reduce Length of Stay in COVID-19. It has not been shown to improve survival overall but I can tell you from personal experience that it does appear to at least work as well as Oseltamivir does in Influenza. the effect of this is threefold:

1. Reduction in Length of Stay effectively gives us 25% more ICU beds and ventilators as people will, hopefully, not need them as long.
2. There should be a significant reduction in the number of heartbreaking cases of younger people dying as they will most likely benefit the most from this therapy.
3. A reduction in the stress level in health care providers, knowing that is is at least a therapy available if they get sick.

This DOES NOT mean that we can afford to slack off on sequestration. Since we have no herd immunity in this situation, the pandemic remains a disaster of biblical proportions. Additionally, there are only 170K doses available and Gilead is making plans to make millions of doses available by fall. This is by no means sufficient for everyone who needs a course to get one. I suspect that it will be necessary for Gilead to license their drug to other manufacturers to get the hundreds of millions of doses needed.

The above statements represent MY opinion and in no way represent my employer or the medical community at large.

Thank You

If you haven't seen it yet you might find this video to be insightful. There are a handful of other options that are looking to be at least as promising as Remdesivir, so perhaps in the short term supply issues could be mitigated by using more than one treatment type.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #58,633 of 150,445
Any tips or insights into the correct connection/startup sequence for a Jotunheim running a MB DAC card starting from power off (rear switch)? I notice that sometimes I need to unplug and replug the USB to have the DAC recognized by my player (an iPhone running through the USB3 adapter, horror). Is there a sequence that will work every time?

For example: turn on Jot, wait for it to complete its startup sequence, then plug in the USB?

Or: plug everything together, then turn on Jot and wait for it to complete startup?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #58,634 of 150,445
Personally I am suspicious of streaming services as a sole source of music. You don't know what going to happen to them, or how long they'll stay in business, or what will happen to the subscription fees. Yes, there's multiple choices out there, but if yours goes under its not as easy as switching to another - whatever time you've spent meticulously curating your playlists is gone, and not all services have the same music.
I think you should read some more.
Streaming from your own NAS with a decent backup will give you no problems at all.
No matter how many times you switch streamers or systems.

If you haven't seen it yet you might find this video to be insightful. There are a handful of other options that are looking to be at least as promising as Remdesivir, so perhaps in the short term supply issues could be mitigated by using more than one treatment type.

And please people.. stop talking Covid 19 tactics and or therapeutics.
You have no idea what you're talking about and it can be dangerous if someone takes an ill advice too seriously.
No offense to happy personal experience but let us professionals do the medical work.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #58,635 of 150,445
I think you should read some more.
Streaming from your own NAS with a decent backup will give you no problems at all.
No matter how many times you switch streamers or systems.

I believe Valiant66 was referring to Tidal vs Qobuz vs Amazon HD. You spend time on that service curating a playlist and if the company folds, you might lose those playlists entirely and have to remake them on whatever streaming service you then migrate to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back