Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #57,781 of 150,790
Or ...

3) 'Stones' stolen from the U.S. "Little Persons" Winter Olympics Curling team.

Capture.JPG

(There's no line @bcowen won't cross to feed his audio OCD.)
Did you notice that his amplifiers are made in the state where he resides? He is obviously helping the local economy with patriotic OCD/

Mar 23, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #57,782 of 150,790
That's what he wants us to believe. A closer look reveals the name plate says Gary -- a Chi-Fi knock-off of Cary. :smirk:

Mar 23, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #57,786 of 150,790
Sol does not ship with a record clamp. Does Schiit have an official position on such devices? And is it based on philosophy or engineering? In other words, do Mike and Jason think clamps are just more audio-phool-ery that do nothing for playback and sound? Or is the whole Sol assembly so finely balanced that adding a clamp would damage the bearing and send everything down the proverbial porcelain?

Would Schiit sanction a light clamp that grabs the spindle? How about a 35-pound unit machined from naval bronze and magnetized in alignment with true north so as to guarantee perfect playback polarity? (The real trick there being to make bronze magnetic.) Do any Head-Fiers have relevant experience to share?

I think a clamp, with the Schiit logo cast or machined into the top, would be a cool accessory. Then again, I also want a dust cover.

And, Jason, if you are indeed contemplating a super tubed phono pre at 10x the Mani price, here's someone else waiting to give you money.

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #57,787 of 150,790
Do any Head-Fiers have relevant experience to share?

This may sound like a cop out, but it depends on the table.

On my Michell Gyro SE, it absolutely sounds better (to me) with the Michell clamp.

With my Pioneer PLX-1000, record weights and mats do indeed change the sound. Is the change an improvement, or just different? Lately I've been preferring the PLX without a record weight.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #57,789 of 150,790
Sol does not ship with a record clamp. Does Schiit have an official position on such devices? And is it based on philosophy or engineering? In other words, do Mike and Jason think clamps are just more audio-phool-ery that do nothing for playback and sound? Or is the whole Sol assembly so finely balanced that adding a clamp would damage the bearing and send everything down the proverbial porcelain?

Would Schiit sanction a light clamp that grabs the spindle?
From what I have seen they used the Record Doctor clamp at axpona Annotation 2020-03-23 123344.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #57,790 of 150,790
This may sound like a cop out, but it depends on the table.

On my Michell Gyro SE, it absolutely sounds better (to me) with the Michell clamp.

With my Pioneer PLX-1000, record weights and mats do indeed change the sound. Is the change an improvement, or just different? Lately I've been preferring the PLX without a record weight.

I agree that the use of a clamp depends on the table (and its design).

Adding an AFTERMARKET clamp...
can increase the rotating mass, but at the same time increases the bearing load (more wear, noise)
will most likely disturb the balance of the spindle / platter assembly and increase run-out (will never have an exact, dead center fit on the rotation axis unless specifically designed to work with the table)
will press down on a record, (might help with warpage, depending on the shape of the distortion) but will also increase the compression of the mat (more vibration transmitted to the record)
won't help with lateral tracking (e.g. a record with off-center or oversized spindle hole), unless its slipping and shifting while playing.

IMO, Best not to add an aftermarket clamp, as cons may out weigh the benefits.

edited: or use the type that Schiit demonstrated with (preferably of low mass to minimize bearing loading)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #57,791 of 150,790
Mar 23, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #57,793 of 150,790

Users who are viewing this thread

Back