Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #57,796 of 150,656
Same here.

Mar 23, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #57,797 of 150,656
Mar 23, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #57,799 of 150,656
Probably has GE tubes in them too.

Naw, I upgraded to some no-name tubes made in China. Huge improvement.

Actually haven't had those amps in about 16 years. Something about 450 F surface temps on exposed tubes in amps sitting on the floor didn't make good sense with a mobile toddler. Even if Gary had made them. :)

Mar 24, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #57,801 of 150,656
Ok so the analog "transport" is out. How about the digital one now? I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a Cambridge CXC. If there's one coming, I'll wait. But I don't want to go without CD usage for an undetermined amount of time just to find out Schiit's not doing a transport.

I think Schiit (baldr) has been quite clear that he is working on a transport. But who knows when it will come out? (God is likely the only one).

If you really want the Schiit transport, just buy a cheap DVD player that has coax or optical out and use that till the spinner releases .

Mar 24, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #57,802 of 150,656
I think Schiit (baldr) has been quite clear that he is working on a transport. But who knows when it will come out? (God is likely the only one).

If you really want the Schiit transport, just buy a cheap DVD player that has coax or optical out and use that till the spinner releases .

+1 on the Schiit digital CD (and hopefully more) Transport (maybe it will have USB output for Unison/ gen 5 compatibility).

In the meantime, just dig thru your pile of old electronics-- any CD or DVD player (or maybe even an old gaming console) with coax or toslink digital out will work (hopefully you can find the remote too, and that the batteries were taken out so many years ago prior to mothballing). Jitter using the Schiit Multibit DACs should be less of a problem than with some competitor's designs, since S/PDIF stream is buffered between the S/PDIF receiver chip, and the Sharc DSP-based oversampling combo-burrito (or mega-combo-burrito) filtering.

right now, I'm using an old sony sacd ns500v (converts DSD into PCM thru the coax & toslink ports) and an old denon receiver remote (programmed for sony dvd IR codes cuz I misplaced the original sony remote :frowning2:

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #57,804 of 150,656
Naw, I upgraded to some no-name tubes made in China. Huge improvement.

Actually haven't had those amps in about 16 years. Something about 450 F surface temps on exposed tubes in amps sitting on the floor didn't make good sense with a mobile toddler. Even if Gary had made them. :)
Did you sell the ceramic insulators with them?

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #57,805 of 150,656
+1 on the Schiit digital CD (and hopefully more) Transport (maybe it will have USB output for Unison/ gen 5 compatibility).

In the meantime, just dig thru your pile of old electronics-- any CD or DVD player (or maybe even an old gaming console) with coax or toslink digital out will work (hopefully you can find the remote too, and that the batteries were taken out so many years ago prior to mothballing). Jitter using the Schiit Multibit DACs should be less of a problem than with some competitor's designs, since S/PDIF stream is buffered between the S/PDIF receiver chip, and the Sharc DSP-based oversampling combo-burrito (or mega-combo-burrito) filtering.

right now, I'm using an old sony sacd ns500v (converts DSD into PCM thru the coax & toslink ports) and an old denon receiver remote (programmed for sony dvd IR codes cuz I misplaced the original sony remote :frowning2:

I literally have no CD players left :frowning2:

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #57,807 of 150,656
I had a friend in college who said (not completely tongue-in-cheek) that his favorite Grateful Dead song was Darkstar, and his other favorite Grateful Dead song was The Other One.

Two of my favorites as well!

PS- Put me down for a Schiit silver disc spinner, I'll buy it when it's on the website. Please and thank you.

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #57,808 of 150,656
Ok so the analog "transport" is out. How about the digital one now? I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a Cambridge CXC. If there's one coming, I'll wait. But I don't want to go without CD usage for an undetermined amount of time just to find out Schiit's not doing a transport.

I was in the same boat. I looked at the Cambridge CXC and also Audiolab's 6000CDT (which is £379 in UK), as options while waiting for Mike's new CD Transport.

The longer I go without a CD player, the less I think I need one!

All my CDs have been ripped and I now use Qobuz extensively. Both offer convenience and great sound quality.

I have no doubt at all that Mike's new CD transport will be exceptional, but it will need to be to get me back playing CDs... and to stump up the cash for both a Transport and Preamp , neither of which I currently use.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #57,809 of 150,656

I have a 25 year old Arcam Alpha Plus CD player, which I have used in the past as a CD Transport with its S/PDIF output, but now I am happy with ripped CDs on hard drive and Qobuz streaming 16/44.1.

However, when Mike's CD Transport is launched, I may still be tempted if it is anything like as good as the Yggy….

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #57,810 of 150,656
Re: Power Conditioners, warts, etc. Its not nervosa but it might be my obsessive compulsive design tendencies that make me want a Schitt power solution. I had this box made to the exact size of Vidar. I hide Modi and my Allo DigiOne Signature inside. Thats 3 wall warts right there. I’d love to have a solution that could centralize maybe 4 wall warts with variable output for each. And 3 or 4 power outlets. Nothing fancy. Put it in a Vidar case and call it a day.
2E24AC8B-6FF0-47F5-8170-04086BEC0136.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back