Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #57,721 of 155,083
those cost extra (synergistic damping materials)

And take up space which could be used for the optional modules to make it sound like an excellent $200 power strip.

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #57,722 of 155,083
Obviously an air insulator cavity designed to minimize heat transfer. :wink:

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #57,723 of 155,083
Thanks Jason for your explanations of how Schiit does their business! I wouldn't have any other way!!!

Love my freshly updated Yggy...you guys did great turn time and it's already starting to sound good (though I'm still using AES input) though less than a week back from Valencia!

Cheers!

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #57,727 of 155,083
is there an option to on the TV's to select 2-channel PCM, not Mutli-channel? try also disabling surround sound modes, turn bass-management off, etc.

added: from Mike's thread, the Schiit Multibit DACs all buffer the S/PDIF data from the receiver chip, then the DSP chip re-clocks it (via registers) to the DAC's (which don't accept I2S or the common audio formats) so the jitter is not as big as a factor as with some other designs, esp NOS Non-Over-Sampling DAC units that the feed the DAC chips directly from the I2S off the receiver without buffering.

Yes, it's set output 2 channel PCM only. I have a stereo only digital pre-amp and PCM is the only thing it will accept. I think most people output Dolby to a receiver and thus don't run into this issue.

My Yggdrasil isn't connected to this TV, I use it with my dedicated nearfield listening setup at the PC. The pre-amp in question is a McIntosh D100, a product McIntosh is so embarrassed to have their name associated with that they have purged all traces of its existence from their websites including support pages. :p Seriously, I can't even re-download the USB drivers if I needed them.

I don't know how tolerant its input receiver is of clock jitter, and I doubt they would reveal that level of detail about their componentry anyway. All I know is that it's an ESS Sabre implementation on the DAC itself. It's probably the audio purchase I'm most disappointed in since getting into the "high end" of the hobby, but at the time I bought it there were very few products on the market that had 4 traditional digital audio inputs (toslink/coax) in true digital pre-amp implementation that combined the DAC and volume control in one device. In fact, while it's easy to find DACs that can do pre-amp functions like volume, it's still hard to find ones that have that many inputs even today. There are just a handful of them out there. I needed that many inputs so I grit my teeth and bought the overpriced McIntosh and I've been enjoying the mediocre performance and bizarre squealing sound it makes whenever it engages its muting relays (which is all the time) ever since.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #57,728 of 155,083
I think Schiit should start making Vacuum Tubes!!!
Would'nt that cause a storm in the audio world!!

schiit.jpgschiit.jpg

adydula,
will you kindly let me know what kind of vacuum tubes are those are, I assume not 6SN7s, and their purpose as they appear to include a very high voltage ceramic insulator within the tube rather than the more normal small ceramic insulators or mica plates?

Mar 20, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #57,729 of 155,083
Yes, it's set output 2 channel PCM only. I have a stereo only digital pre-amp and PCM is the only thing it will accept. I think most people output Dolby to a receiver and thus don't run into this issue.

My Yggdrasil isn't connected to this TV, I use it with my dedicated nearfield listening setup at the PC. The pre-amp in question is a McIntosh D100, a product McIntosh is so embarrassed to have their name associated with that they have purged all traces of its existence from their websites including support pages. :p Seriously, I can't even re-download the USB drivers if I needed them.

I don't know how tolerant its input receiver is of clock jitter, and I doubt they would reveal that level of detail about their componentry anyway. All I know is that it's an ESS Sabre implementation on the DAC itself. It's probably the audio purchase I'm most disappointed in since getting into the "high end" of the hobby, but at the time I bought it there were very few products on the market that had 4 traditional digital audio inputs (toslink/coax) in true digital pre-amp implementation that combined the DAC and volume control in one device. In fact, while it's easy to find DACs that can do pre-amp functions like volume, it's still hard to find ones that have that many inputs even today. There are just a handful of them out there. I needed that many inputs so I grit my teeth and bought the overpriced McIntosh and I've been enjoying the mediocre performance and bizarre squealing sound it makes whenever it engages its muting relays (which is all the time) ever since.

markertek sells the Inday DA4X-R 4-input 1-output digital audio switcher $119, has both optical and coax inputs & outputs... Schiit can supply the rest of the hardware to replace the D100 :frowning2:

someone else on this thread was also looking for more optical inputs....

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #57,730 of 155,083
adydula,
will you kindly let me know what kind of vacuum tubes are those are, I assume not 6SN7s, and their purpose as they appear to include a very high voltage ceramic insulator within the tube rather than the more normal small ceramic insulators or mica plates?
A google image search showed it is from wikipedia. Appears to be a 3-500C transmission tube:
800px-HiPowerTube3-500_C.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube#/media/File:HiPowerTube3-500_C.jpg

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #57,731 of 155,083
I'd expect there will be a lot of gain options, and gain will go much higher than 60dB. However, expect this to be at least 10x the price of Mani. If/when it comes out. The coronavirus situation may set some plans back. We'll see.

My wish list (in this order): balanced outs; variable impedance regardless of gain (e.g 47k ohm @60db gain); front panel mono switch; variable capacitance for MMs sensitive to load; sub-sonic filter. Happy to pay 10x Mani, if/when it comes out. Thanks :)

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #57,732 of 155,083
My wish list (in this order): balanced outs; variable impedance regardless of gain (e.g 47k ohm @60db gain); front panel mono switch; variable capacitance for MMs sensitive to load; sub-sonic filter. Happy to pay 10x Mani, if/when it comes out. Thanks :)

I will add, variable ohm loading for MC carts

Mar 20, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #57,733 of 155,083
Anyone ever play around with new tubes for the Freya? Any suggestions? Sorry if this has already been covered.
I've tried several different tube pairings with my Freya +. Different tube combos really do alter the sound. Once nice thing about the Freya is that you don't have to do quads - you can do pairs. This allows for custom sound "blends." You just have to make sure the left two tubes match one another, and ditto for the right two. My favorite combo has been Tung Sol 6SN7s + Northern Electric 6SN7s. Some pairings I have preferred pairs in specifically left or right position. For this combo it sounds great to my ears either way. A full quad of the Tung Sols sounds too sharp to me. Thus the Northern Electric helps round out the sound while maintaining clarity and a wide soundstage.

I've had decent luck playing around with some RCA 6SN7s and also SovTek 6SN7s. But they sacrifice a bit of upper mids for a warmer roundness. Good luck!

Mar 20, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #57,734 of 155,083
My current fave setup is GE 6SN7 GTBs & Northern Electric 6SN7s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back