Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 23, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #56,176 of 150,656
So new gear or new LPs?

If you're unsure then buy some new LPs. Old and new LPs will give you happiness that will play on your current equipment and/or what you buy in the future.

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #56,177 of 150,656
I'm curious how the lessons learned from the "JOTUNHEIM R MODULAR AMP FOR RAAL RIBBON HEADPHONES" trickles into the other product lines. Will I ever buy a pair of those unusual headphones? Nah. :) I need something with almost complete sound isolation (and Audeze LCD-XC will hopefully fit bill for my soon-to-be 50 year old brain).

I hope to try the Raal headphone at the next CanJam SoCal event. I have the LCD-XC and I enjoy it. It's a bit on the heavy side, but the sound isolation is good. I haven't been able to try it with my Asgard 3 and Lyr 3 yet, but your post reminded me that I have to try these combos. So far my favorite amp for the LCD-XC is the Woo Audio WA6.

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #56,178 of 150,656
Martin-Logan CLS, oooh, I've always wanted a pair. My college graduation present to myself (after a couple of years' savings) was either Apogee or Martin-Logan: Apogee won.

I'm not a big fan of redoing other people's work. Leave Star Trek alone. Don't colorize classic movies. And, please Hollywood, no more remakes. Somebody, somewhere, has to be writing original stories that are worth bringing to the screen.

I hope Tammy Wynette doesn't suffer the same fate as Frank. The lyric just wouldn't work in reverse.

(listen closely halfway though....)

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #56,179 of 150,656
Got exposed to HP-UX as a baby-- can zip around/script/c/vi in linux, rasppi, macos cmdline like it's nothing. Funny how windows cmdline's actually the weird one!
A single letter transposition in that OS name tells you everything you'd want to know :wink:

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #56,180 of 150,656
The box costs $499 but they only knock off $300 if you don't want it?

"The Schiit Bifrost 2 costs $700 but they only kock off $600 off the Jot-R + Bifrost2 price when you don't want it"?

I guess it's the same with Raal: They're two products that can be sold separately, or as a bundle. When bought as a bundle, you get a discounted price.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #56,182 of 150,656
Well since it was all quantum entangled and such, I made my order disappear after I had received their one and only unobtainium variant so they had no record of ever making one, which is probably why they are listed with a ∞ delivery date.

So not only is it a one off, they can disavow any knowledge of ever making one… :ksc75smile:
hahahahahahaha

JJ

And of course, the money never left your bank account.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #56,184 of 150,656
Well I did pay with quantum vritual money so it replenished itself as it went and then came back…
So it was a negative cost to me…
hahahahahahahahaa

JJ

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #56,186 of 150,656
"The Schiit Bifrost 2 costs $700 but they only kock off $600 off the Jot-R + Bifrost2 price when you don't want it"?

I guess it's the same with Raal: They're two products that can be sold separately, or as a bundle. When bought as a bundle, you get a discounted price.
you had math at school?

price of just the earmonitors is unknown as far as i know

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #56,187 of 150,656
My b
Well I did pay with quantum vritual money so it replenished itself as it went and then came back…
So it was a negative cost to me…
hahahahahahahahaa

JJ

My bank account is a constant example of Heisenberg Uncertainty in action

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #56,188 of 150,656
Jan 22, 2020 at 2:21 PM

I'm amazed it took nearly 30 hours...

..... and a little longer to get it right :)

Though it became associated with Monty Python, the sketch was written by Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman and Marty Feldman and originally performed on their TV series At Last the 1948 Show in 1967.

And for those of us who ARE Yorkshiremen it represents nothing more than a slightly understated version of tru life :))

It remains one of my favorites.

Cheers

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #56,189 of 150,656
A pair of Apogee Divas driven by some beastly amps is what started this lifelong addiction for me. I listened to them in a store, became infected, couldn't possibly afford them, and left. Went back 2 days later, listened again, still couldn't afford them and left. On my third trip I left with a pair of Duettas. Couldn't afford those either, but they were less unaffordable than the Divas. The rabbit hole appeared when I got home and found my 40wpc Harman Kardon receiver wouldn't play them very loud... :relaxed:

Reminds me of my Carver Amazing's but they had 4 x 12' woofers a side crossed over to the ribbon at 100Hz. The Diva would have been a fun comparison for me, I've always liked ribbons done right. And I like the sound of Quads ESL's, especially the 63's from among the few designs in stats' I've heard over the years.

My choice was between the Apogee Stages and Martin-Logan Quest(?). The Stages won. Eventually I added some home-brew subs (dual 8" drivers for each channel) I made from the optional stands I bought later. A reasonably successful attempt at making a Mini-Grand system. When I finally decided to sell them (I still miss them sometimes) I had the Stages, the subs, a Threshold active crossover, an S-500 for the woofers and a pair of SA-1 for the panels. Out of all of that, only the SA-1 remain...

I heard a pair of Carver Amazing Loudspeakers when I was in high school. Blew me away, almost literally. The salesman turned them up so loud those woofers ruffled my pants legs. They sounded really good. However, at that time I was lusting after the Kef 104/2.

There is a pair of CLS on AudiogoN right now... Also a pair of Apogee Stage and pairs of Kef 105/3 and 107.

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #56,190 of 150,656

Users who are viewing this thread

Back