Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 22, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #56,056 of 150,834
Definitely don't try this with your tongue in the male connector with the R plugged in and on and the volume up.
I hate when this happens.

upload_2020-1-22_10-34-58.png

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #56,057 of 150,834
Followed by the only thing that matters...

Being only deep enough into coffee to want beans instead of grounds and a French press rather than a Keurig, I never would have thought the "tamp" would have made a significant difference in an espresso.

"Significant" would be an overstatement. More important factors are the grinder, beans (quality, roast, freshness), water, dose optimization, distribution, and machine. If you have those taken care of, then the quality of tamp can make some difference in the cup. The ergonomics of the tamper will make a difference to the barista (even a home barista, not to mention one who is preparing hundreds of shots per day).

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #56,059 of 150,834
"Significant" would be an overstatement. More important factors are the grinder, beans (quality, roast, freshness), water, dose optimization, distribution, and machine. If you have those taken care of, then the quality of tamp can make some difference in the cup. The ergonomics of the tamper will make a difference to the barista (even a home barista, not to mention one who is preparing hundreds of shots per day).

"All rabbit holes are infinitely deep."

I personally use the AirPods of coffee, a Jura superautomatic (we have a couple at Schiit, and a baby one at home.) I guess that makes me not a coffeeophile. Which is perfectly fine.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #56,060 of 150,834
"All rabbit holes are infinitely deep."

I personally use the AirPods of coffee, a Jura superautomatic (we have a couple at Schiit, and a baby one at home.) I guess that makes me not a coffeeophile. Which is perfectly fine.
Roger Federer is doing advertisment for Jura (like George for Nestle) so must be nice coffee :)

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #56,061 of 150,834
Just got my Schiit-y e-mail, my "R" has shipped, most likely lands here on Friday.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #56,062 of 150,834
Enjoyable ever so nicely written Jason! Hot damn you make a fine writer.

+1

I am always impressed by how informative, intelligent and yet funny and accessible your writing is. The fact that you write product manuals that I actually look forward to reading is saying something. So much so, that as much as I love my Schiit gear (and I LOVE my Schiit gear), if you announced that you were giving up your work at Schiit to solely concentrate on writing I wouldn't be 100% disappointed. Massively disappointed, for sure, but a part of me would be also excited that you would be writing more. :)

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #56,064 of 150,834
+1

I am always impressed by how informative, intelligent and yet funny and accessible your writing is. The fact that you write product manuals that I actually look forward to reading is saying something. So much so, that as much as I love my Schiit gear (and I LOVE my Schiit gear), if you announced that you were giving up your work at Schiit to solely concentrate on writing I wouldn't be 100% disappointed. Massively disappointed, for sure, but a part of me would be also excited that you would be writing more. :)

Guess I need to start R'ingTFM. From a distance they look like a warranty card, and I never fill those out either. :anguished:

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #56,065 of 150,834
Do I need one of these for measuring hops? I'm a bit paranoid that the 0.1 oz kitchen scale isn't accurate enough for consistency when I'm brewing
If you're worried about 0.1 oz precision not being enough for hops, you're not making the right kind of beer, IMHO.
But hey, for a couple grand you can get down to a mg
https://bit.ly/37jjLKu

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #56,066 of 150,834
We HATED walking to school in the snow: meant we had to wrap our feet in barbed wire for traction. We didn't have a lot of holes in our shoes, but damned if the barbed wire didn't find where to poke in. Every time. As if the "uphill both ways" wasn't bad enough...

There are skis for that, you know. My pair were passed on to me from my grandfather, and they still had bullet holes from the winter war.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #56,067 of 150,834
We HATED walking to school in the snow: meant we had to wrap our feet in barbed wire for traction. We didn't have a lot of holes in our shoes, but damned if the barbed wire didn't find where to poke in. Every time. As if the "uphill both ways" wasn't bad enough...
LUXURY! We'd have killed for some snow to cushion the barbed wire. We had to trudge mostly through broken glass and fire ants.

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #56,069 of 150,834

Oh, I get it. But I'm still surprised a tamper could make enough difference in a cup of espresso to make a nice one justified on a practical level as opposed to a bling level. Good stuff to know.

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #56,070 of 150,834
LUXURY! We'd have killed for some snow to cushion the barbed wire. We had to trudge mostly through broken glass and fire ants.

Aww, you're the kids who had it easy. We'd have killed the fire ants to add some protein to our diet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back