Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 22, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #56,041 of 150,791
Shoes! You were lucky to have shoes!

You were lucky to have schools. All we had were 30 year old discarded textbooks...written in braille.

:frowning:

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #56,044 of 150,791
...because the stainless steel base is machined to exactly fit the basket I have (another option for my espresso machine, a VST triple shot basket). It's nicely weighted and has the chemical symbol for caffeine laser engraved on a Jarrah hardwood handle. The machined rings around the tamper base give you an accurate guide for tamping, giving consistently good shots.

An analysis only a hobbiest or connoisseur could give.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #56,045 of 150,791
But to me it's just nice to have a good tamper, one that will last me forever. And I had disposable income, so why not :)

Followed by the only thing that matters...

Being only deep enough into coffee to want beans instead of grounds and a French press rather than a Keurig, I never would have thought the "tamp" would have made a significant difference in an espresso.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #56,046 of 150,791
Jan 22, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #56,047 of 150,791
Yep...as the saying goes went...RTFM :L3000:

At least the basic manuals we're ok. For real fun, the gave us these things called Redbooks that were written by SEs who were surely smart but often not the best at content creation to say the least.

And, since we're talking about being old; back then, we walked to school -- 5 miles, uphill, both ways, with holes in our shoes, in the snow! :wink:

We HATED walking to school in the snow: meant we had to wrap our feet in barbed wire for traction. We didn't have a lot of holes in our shoes, but damned if the barbed wire didn't find where to poke in. Every time. As if the "uphill both ways" wasn't bad enough...

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #56,049 of 150,791
Jan 22, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #56,051 of 150,791
Given the potentially really high current, what protections do the ribbon transducers have to make sure that, well, they don't kill us? (after all, it's the current that kills, not voltage).

With an output voltage of under 5V I wouldn't worry too much about electrocution.

JC

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #56,052 of 150,791
None as far as I know, but this question might get a better answer on the Raal thread.
Edit: well, there ya go, 5 volts, apparently a non issue.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #56,054 of 150,791
Yeah, I'd just go ahead and get it so if I wanted to listen with other amps in the future I could.

I agree, I like to experiment with different stuff so having that interface available is something I want for flexibility.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #56,055 of 150,791

0.1g weighing precision? Such sloppy tolerances.

Okay, maybe Jason’s right, the day job can get w bit boring...

Do I need one of these for measuring hops? I'm a bit paranoid that the 0.1 oz kitchen scale isn't accurate enough for consistency when I'm brewing.

Jason -

Will there be a Raal/Requisite headphones w/ Jotunheim R setup at AXPONA 2020?
I don't think that is an ideal setting to hear headphones well, but it would be interesting to see.

Yes, we'll have that setup at shows going forward, starting in New York.

Given the potentially really high current, what protections do the ribbon transducers have to make sure that, well, they don't kill us? (after all, it's the current that kills, not voltage).

That old saying really applies to wall voltage more than anything. With a body resistance of 500k ohms for dry skin, and maybe 1-2k ohms for wet skin, there's nothing to worry about. Grab on to 400V DC on a flea-power supply and 5VAC from a high current supply, and let me know how you feel. I did 400V DC once by accident (leaned on a resistor in a Freya power supply) and my arm didn't work right for a day. You won't feel 5VAC, most likely, even with wet skin. I grab onto 16VAC from our wall adapters all the time. I think I felt a very mild tingling once, probably when my hand was wet.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back