Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 14, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #55,621 of 151,569
Hi all, long time user of Schiit headphone rig (Bifrost Multibit/Valhalla2/Loki) and now planning and researching on an eventual 2-channel pre-amp/amp/speaker setup for a small, dedicated listening/office space (about 12 x 14). My purchase target date is late September, so I'm taking the time to research and audition the different components I'm thinking about.

While I have been narrowing in on a Freya+/mono Aegir/KEF LS50 combo I am interested in hearing from folks on any experience they've had with Aegir monos and Maggies (I'd say either the LRS or the .7i ideally);

I listen mostly to classical piano, from solo to concerto as well as modern composers, minimalist and some latter day ambient, as well as some jazz. I am more in to presence and resolution than loudness or deep window-shaking bass. In other words, I don't get the impression I would be pushing the Aegirs out to the edge of their envelope...

I see some discussion on this here from around April '19 and have read the Stereophile review; now, with the passage of time, I'm interested to see if opinions have evolved.

thanks for your thoughts!

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #55,622 of 151,569
Hi all, long time user of Schiit headphone rig (Bifrost Multibit/Valhalla2/Loki) and now planning and researching on an eventual 2-channel pre-amp/amp/speaker setup for a small, dedicated listening/office space (about 12 x 14). My purchase target date is late September, so I'm taking the time to research and audition the different components I'm thinking about.

While I have been narrowing in on a Freya+/mono Aegir/KEF LS50 combo I am interested in hearing from folks on any experience they've had with Aegir monos and Maggies (I'd say either the LRS or the .7i ideally);

We could carry on here, or you might like to join us on the Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse thread.

I listen mostly to classical piano, from solo to concerto as well as modern composers, minimalist and some latter day ambient, as well as some jazz. I am more in to presence and resolution than loudness or deep window-shaking bass. In other words, I don't get the impression I would be pushing the Aegirs out to the edge of their envelope...

I see some discussion on this here from around April '19 and have read the Stereophile review; now, with the passage of time, I'm interested to see if opinions have evolved.

thanks for your thoughts!

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #55,624 of 151,569
This subject has come up a few times before... If you own Magneplanars, the Aegir is NOT for you. I've tried Aegir on the MMG, and it's not worth the effort beyond satisfying the curiosity of a quick experiment.

Mono Aegirs on Maggies still won't bring the power up into the range to give decent headroom. Even at low listening levels, the dynamics will be compressed. Maggies are 86dB efficient. I wouldn't consider using Aegir on anything less than 93-94 efficiency, and that will be borderline.

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #55,625 of 151,569
Sounds tough, but change the motor, raise the price, I mean it's going up anyway, right? Whoever is buying this wants to buy a great turntable at a price that's expensive to them but comparatively a bit of a bargain. Even at a grand that's a lot of money, even though it's a bargain for what they are getting. So nobody is "cheaping out" on buying this turntable. They are buying it for the quality.

Who wants to buy an expensive turntable whose motor is too weak to start by itself? Don't build great products on shaky or awkward foundations. Everytime people push start that motor, they are going to be wondering how long their Schiit is going to last (even if it's not a valid reasoning). Your turntable has the looks and build to drive the sales. You don't want the motor to be that one thing which is embarassing.
I agree expensive is a relative term... But for the price Sol is a budget table that punches way above it's weight class.

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #55,626 of 151,569
88db speakers are well enough for Aegir 2x

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #55,627 of 151,569
It's that day:
"Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 in January 2015, with extended support running till 14 January 2020"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4057281/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020

Good to know, it appears Security Essentials will limp on for W7, and I can continue to drag my feet on W10. My 13 year old crap-top is on life support and I need to replace it but still ruminating on brand (most likely Dell) and Options in a 17"er.

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #55,628 of 151,569
That would be me. There is a certain elegance to a design that is perfectly mechanically balanced in speed, torque, etc. So what if it needs a nudge, you are up off the couch anyway... These things are fussy and fiddly in the extreme compared to Spotify. And that is exactly what some of us are looking for.
That's not "perfectly mechanically balanced", that means it's too weak to self-start. Having said that, I DO like fiddling with things ocassionally.

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #55,630 of 151,569
This subject has come up a few times before... If you own Magneplanars, the Aegir is NOT for you. I've tried Aegir on the MMG, and it's not worth the effort beyond satisfying the curiosity of a quick experiment.

Mono Aegirs on Maggies still won't bring the power up into the range to give decent headroom. Even at low listening levels, the dynamics will be compressed. Maggies are 86dB efficient. I wouldn't consider using Aegir on anything less than 93-94 efficiency, and that will be borderline.
why? depends on how loud you listen, the distance from the listening place to the speakers and the placement of the speakers. I am not an engineer but I think besides the sensitivity it also has to do how difficult the load is (drops below 2 Ohm for example are hard for an amplifier i believe) I am quite sure that one Aegir will play my ATC SCM19 loud enough in my 12m2 room, speakers in corner and about 2.5meter distance. I guess about 95 dB (their max is 108dB), I think rarely get above 90dB. But that is me.

Wasn't it like this: from one watt to two watt is plus 3dB and from 2 to 4watt adds another 3dB, and so on?

Not sure though if it shall sound better than my current two mono amps. (they still work and sound fine so need to replace)

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #55,631 of 151,569
I read this all the time but how do we know?
we don't until we listen for ourselves. I will not listen thus shall never know.
The Sol is not for me.

But I like to read about it :)

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #55,634 of 151,569
In other words, the audio world isn't black and white; it's gray. It's not right or wrong; it's a continuum. What matters to someone might not matter to someone else. What one person might call a "small difference" might be much larger to someone else.

This. If there’s something to be learned reading and discussing in these forums and others it’s that there are as many opinions about audio as there are pairs of ears, and the great thing is that none of them are wrong. Just different. And that gives potential for a lot of great, and fun, discussions.
:)

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #55,635 of 151,569
I literally pop by here everyday just to see if the Jotunheim R has been released
Ditto. And for safety's sake, I refresh the Schiit home page every 37 seconds or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back