Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 13, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #55,591 of 149,337
Hi everyone, question about Bifrost 1 Gen 5 USB.

I leave mine on all the time, and as such, I hear it doing it's clicks all the time. Even when there is no music playing. What can cause this? Do I have a defective Bifrost? I know the clicks are normal switching between formats, but when there is nothing playing, it seems odd it would click. The only two options I can thin of are: 1. The Mac Mini puts out a "blip" over USB every so often that causes the mechanical click? This seems the most likely scenario since this is 95% of the time the active input. or 2. the Apple TV that is not actively playing anything, that is going into my Coax input (or the optical to coax dongle I am using to connect it) is sending a "blip" every once in a while causing the click.

Can anyone with the Bifrost 1 confirm this behavior? I am considering updating to the Bifrost 2, and don't want to sell this one to a buyer if there is something wrong with it.

-K
I leave my Bifrost MB on all the time, and mine does the same. Even when music is off and my Macbook has been lid-down and sleeping for hours, my Bifrost MB will randomly click from time to time. I have often wondered about this as well. I had thought maybe it was the result of power fluctuations in my houses AC. But I have no idea really. I do hope it isn't indicative of any problem, excess wear, etc.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #55,592 of 149,337
Most computers will play various sounds as you poke around on them. Those sounds will cause the Bifrost to mute and unmute. You can route system sounds to speakers on a Mac, or turn them off on a PC.
Thanks Jason. My mac mini is dedicated Roon server/endpoint, so it is headless in my rack. I will look into muting the system sounds somehow. Thanks for the hints there!!

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #55,594 of 149,337
Thanks Jason. My mac mini is dedicated Roon server/endpoint, so it is headless in my rack. I will look into muting the system sounds somehow. Thanks for the hints there!!

The option you want is in System Preferences/Sound.

S7vgY8Z.png

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #55,595 of 149,337
@Jason Stoddard , actually I think that your blind setup is great, much better than most studies I saw. Two reasons:

• Letting people choose their own music is critical. I'm not aware of a single "serious" study that does that (though by all means I can be proven wrong here). For the lack of a better analogy, the first time we listen to a piece of music we tend to focus on the song itself, much like the first time we watch a movie we focus on the main narrative and action, at the expense of details. When we rewatch the movie we can get more critical about details, e.g., how the movie was shot, what lenses were used, what kind of lighting, etc. Same with music IMO - the amps and DACs changes are for the most part rather subtle to the untrained.

Obviously, it is much more expensive to give each study participant their own custom experience, than it is to do a "one size fits all".

• A/B testing, as opposed to A/B/C. It is incredibly harder to distinguish between 3 things that are close together, than 2. This applies to pretty much all our senses, not just hearing. Malcolm Gladwell describes a two cola vs three cola experiment in "Blink" - essentially regular Cola drinkers can relatively easily tell Coke from Pepsi. But add a third cola to the mix and their discernment disappears.

(Note that the above does not constitute in any way an encouragement to drink cola)

My personal conclusion is that people who are biased against audiophiles, consciously or unconsciously, will insist A/B/C testing

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #55,596 of 149,337

I leave mine on all the time, and as such, I hear it doing it's clicks all the time. Even when there is no music playing. What can cause this? Do I have a defective Bifrost? I know the clicks are normal switching between formats, but when there is nothing playing, it seems odd it would click. The only two options I can thin of are: 1. The Mac Mini puts out a "blip" over USB every so often that causes the mechanical click? This seems the most likely scenario since this is 95% of the time the active input. or 2. the Apple TV that is not actively playing anything, that is going into my Coax input (or the optical to coax dongle I am using to connect it) is sending a "blip" every once in a while causing the click.

Can anyone with the Bifrost 1 confirm this behavior? I am considering updating to the Bifrost 2, and don't want to sell this one to a buyer if there is something wrong with it.

-K

I had a similar issue with mine while paired with a Valhalla 2. Once the V2 warmed up, the Bifrost relay would click nonstop. I thought the Bifrost was faulty...turned out the V2 had a faulty transformer that created interference which the Bifrost reacted to. Schiit swapped my V2 under warranty and problem solved. You might have a similar interference issue with another nearby component.

EDIT - I just read the post where you say it doesn't click while playing music. You can probably disregard my above post, but I'll leave it up for anyone who might have a similar issue.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #55,598 of 149,337
It is dead stable and silent relays while it is playing music! Thanks for the comment.

@mp29k As an additional test, you can also keep it power up, but with all inputs disconnected (not just powered down sources), and see if it still clicks when idle.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #55,599 of 149,337
Hi everyone. Hopefully Jason might be able to answer if not already....what would the DAC and headphone amp in the Rag2 be comparible too? Bifrost? Jort?

thanks

for DAC module there are two possible types (Multibit and Delta-Sigma 4490) that fit Ragnarok 2, and both modules are identical to the ones used in Jotunheim. Ragnarok 2's amp section is like no other in Schiit's current lineup, but should be (to the critical ears of their testers) one of the best sounding, being a newer development.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #55,600 of 149,337

Couple other ways around this besides the Mac system sounds settings.

1) If you only use audio playback / streaming software which supports an "exclusive" mode then set your system to use internal speakers and your audio playback software to exclusive mode on the DAC. If the software isn't running then nothing should go to the DAC. When the software is running it prevents system sounds and other sounds from going to the DAC.

2) In Windows 10 you can select audio devices per application. Sound Settings -> Advanced sound options -> App volume and device preferences -> and point your playback at your DAC.
The software must be running for it to show-up in this list. Leave the main page "Choose your output device" to internal speakers. Now, only the applications you want to route audio to the DAC will do that.

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #55,601 of 149,337
I had the same issue with my Valhalla 2. Had no effect on the audible performance - just the feel changed. When the amp was just turned on, the pot was harder to turn and offered a lot of smooth resistance. Once fully warmed up, it was easier to turn but with a few rough spots. I am sure it was because of the fact that the amp ran so hot - it must have affected the metal tolerances within the potentiometer. Ultimately, it had zero practical effect on the performance though.

Are you (and @GumbyDammit223 ) sure it's the pot and not the knob itself coming into contact with the front?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #55,604 of 149,337
You can order those from an outfit that makes plastics to form on a vacuum table.
Here's a short film on how it works:

Sure, it's possible to fabricate a loose lid that will cover everything, but in general plinth-less turntables don't have a cover because they don't have a base where it can be attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back