Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 7, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #55,457 of 149,575
He's not doing an apples to apples comparison either. Lyr 3 doesn't take balanced inputs.

Besides inferior, how? Clearly better, how? Are you using Unison USB in Bifrost 2? What's your source?

But these questions aren't related to comparing the SE and balanced outputs on the Yggdrasil and Gungnir Multibit.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #55,458 of 149,575
Blah, let me drop this as you’re clearly not receptive.
It doesn’t make your Schiit purchase any worse, don’t worry...

For the record, I have several amps, some SE, some balanced. I also tried with the Freya S in the chain, which is both.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-7_10-28-38.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-7_10-28-38.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2020-1-7_10-28-38.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-7_10-28-38.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2020-1-7_10-28-38.png
    upload_2020-1-7_10-28-38.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2020-1-7_10-28-38.png
    upload_2020-1-7_10-28-38.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 7, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #55,459 of 149,575
Blah, let me drop this as you’re clearly not receptive.
It doesn’t make your Schiit purchase any worse, don’t worry...

For the record, I have several amps, some SE, some balanced. I also tried with the Freya S in the chain, which is both.
If you have the same DAC hooked to the Freya S in SE and balanced inputs, same speakers and amps...and you note a clear difference between the two, that is perfectly valid and beyond reproach from anyone. That is exactly the comparison to make to evaluate the SE and balanced outputs of one DAC, and to determine if the SE is truly "gimped" as some have claimed.

We don't exactly know what other changes were done with the Bifrost 2's card besides using the same DAC chips from the Gungnir Multibit. There could be DSP changes, firmware, maybe even a better power supply, which might all improve multibit performance over Schiit's higher priced DACs.

Heck if Bifrost 2 beats out a Yggdrasil, that's awesome. Only makes me even more excited what Schiit has in the pipeline for future revisions to their higher up stuff.

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #55,460 of 149,575
Yeah, let's always add an implied "IMO" to every opinion.

But, let me (again) dispel the notion that SE is "gimped" in any of our products. As I've said before, SE in Yggdrasil and Gungnir is summed from the balanced outputs, in order to retain the benefits of hardware balancing (that is, using one DAC per phase). SE is summed with a simple 2-JFET summer, and the balanced analog stage itself is also composed of 2-JFET buffers in these hardware balanced DACs.

This is in contrast to Bifrost 2, which does not use hardware balancing, but derives its balanced and SE with op-amps (LME49724, as noted previously.) This is a completely different topology, so it will sound different (it absolutely measures differently!)

If there's any confusion as to the topology/hardware balancing/output stages/etc, the Specs tab on every product tells what's in it.

I personally prefer Bifrost 2 to Yggdrasil, through whatever output. But that's IMO. YMMV. And it's filtered by the fact I like the form factor. But not because the outputs of the bigger DACs are "gimped."

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 7, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #55,462 of 149,575
This is a completely different topology, so it will sound different (it absolutely measures differently!)

I'm curious how Nexus would work with any kind of future analog card upgrades to the Gungnir and Yggdrasil. No need for JFET buffers then.

Maybe that's one of the acronyms you used in your last chapter. :wink:

But as for me, beer makes any kind of perceived SE or balanced difference disappear.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #55,466 of 149,575
I'm curious how Nexus would work with any kind of future analog card upgrades to the Gungnir and Yggdrasil. No need for JFET buffers then.

I have been wondering about the same thing. Since Nexus has been described as the "holy grail" gain stage, and we know from Freya S that Nexus also works as a buffer stage, then taking the analogue signal from out of the 4 D/A chips in Yggdrasil/Gungnir and feeding it into a Nexus buffer stage should produce both balanced and single-ended outputs without any summers. And based on the performance of Nexus is other products, the result should be fantastic. So Jason, any reason why Nexus would not work in this application?

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #55,469 of 149,575
I have been wondering about the same thing. Since Nexus has been described as the "holy grail" gain stage, and we know from Freya S that Nexus also works as a buffer stage, then taking the analogue signal from out of the 4 D/A chips in Yggdrasil/Gungnir and feeding it into a Nexus buffer stage should produce both balanced and single-ended outputs without any summers. And based on the performance of Nexus is other products, the result should be fantastic. So Jason, any reason why Nexus would not work in this application?

Or somehow get around using the 4x AD5791BRUZ and come up with their own digital to analog conversion somehow. The problem is the chips which hinders their design.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #55,470 of 149,575
In your opinion. :)
I have Gungnir MB, Freya [original] , Saga [original]. Ageir, and 3 other tube power amps, I cannot hear an appreciable difference between the SE and Balanced outputs of Gungnir. I use the term 'appreciable' because level differences tend to bias you toward the louder source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back