Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #55,081 of 150,788
At the bottom of this page there is information on how to reverse polarity in JRiver https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer
I guess you have to tweak the interface GUI to have special column for it (and fill it manually)

As to 15 Hz and even 12 Hz I have posted this graph before. Music? Organ only (if any). Can it produce 80+ dB at that frequency? Probably not. YMMV

https://www.acousticfields.com/wavelengths-in-our-rooms/
I agree that for a 'steady state' musical source, the organ and standup basses, can generate as low as 32Hz primary notes, but it's the harmonics not the primary notes that come alive when the system is capable of reaching down below 20Hz.
And those harmonics are at a lower SPL which means when they can be heard/felt, they add an extra dimension to the soundfield and the entire acoustic space.

Also I tend to use the Fletcher Munson curves to my advantage as well.
And by elevating the overall playback volume a bit the extreme bottom end gets an 'extra boost'.
And no I don't crank on the MOAR knob till my ears bleed, but when appropriate I will hit the mid to upper 90dB's which puts the peaks in ≈100dB+ range.
And tube amps, at least the ones I have, REALLY like to get cranked up just a bit.

But it's impulse sources as mentioned (percussive instruments/sound sources) where being able to 'properly' reproduce those frequencies at the very bottom of the FR spectrum, is where the benefits really stand out.

And as I mentioned there are other ancillary sonic and acoustic benefits that come alive when the entire system is able to reach well below 20Hz, besides being able to hear/feel that portion of the audio spectrum.
And these benefits reach all the way up the spectrum, as strange as that may sound.

JJ

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #55,082 of 150,788
At the bottom of this page there is information on how to reverse polarity in JRiver https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer
I guess you have to tweak the interface GUI to have special column for it (and fill it manually)

As to 15 Hz and even 12 Hz I have posted this graph before. Music? Organ only (if any). Can it produce 80+ dB at that frequency? Probably not. YMMV

https://www.acousticfields.com/wavelengths-in-our-rooms/
I played organ in college for book money. The organ in the college chapel had a rank of 32’ pipes under the floor with the lowest note 16 Hz. You couldn’t really hear it alone, but when combined with other stops you could really feel it. Once someone came in and asked what I was playing as the “heard” the low notes almost 50’ outside the chapel. So, the subjective loudness is low, but it definitely makes an impact.
Ray

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #55,084 of 150,788
I was 54 when I realized I had mild tinnitus. YMMV as they say... I wish I had worn ear protection more often.
Tinnitus results from damage to hair cells in the inner ear creating the auditory equivalent of "phantom limb." My left ear tinnitus showed up 12 years ago after a major respiratory infection (don't continue your high-altitude skiing trip in the Andes when your body is rebelling...). Audiologist tested a notch in my hearing, had me do a CT scan just in case there was some detectable cause (some of those are pretty nasty). Nothing, so the big sinus, ear, and lung infection (a doozy) must have been the cause.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #55,085 of 150,788
I had heard there were a few organs that had the 16Hz 'plumbing' but I'm not sure if I have any recordings with those pipes in play.

And yeah at those very lowest of frequencies the 'sound' carries MUCH further and sounds/feels much 'louder' than you'd imagine.
And there are nodes where those frequencies peak again and it happens blocks away.
And when all of a sudden houses/walls/the ground shakes it tends to get your attention!

That is one of the reasons why creating these notes from a speaker system can be 'problematic', especially if the windows/doors/walls/floor/ceiling rattle and make additional noise…
This is a definitely an advantage to HP's since the amount of acoustic energy generated is significantly lower.

JJ

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #55,087 of 150,788
I had heard there a few organs that had the 16Hz 'plumbing' but I'm not sure if I have any recordings with those pipes in play.

And yeah at those very lowest of frequencies the 'sound' carries MUCH further and sounds/feels much 'louder' than you'd imagine.
And there are nodes where those frequencies peak again and it happens blocks away.
And when all of a sudden houses/walls/the ground shakes it tends to get your attention!

That is one of the reasons why creating these notes from a speaker system can be 'problematic', especially if the windows/doors/walls/floor/ceiling rattle and make additional noise…
This is a definitely an advantage to HP's since the amount of acoustic energy generated is significantly lower.

JJ

I believe an octobass goes that low, or nearly so. There's one at the MIM in Scottsdale that I've heard played, and once in a very blue moon you'll hear one with an orchestra. Offhand, though, don't know of any recordings using one.

330px-Octobasse_Orchestre_Symphonique_de_Montr%C3%A9al_Eric_Chappell_1.jpg

EDIT: Here's a pretty good article about the instrument, and some samples those with intact hearing might find interesting:

http://www.openculture.com/2015/12/...ntuan-string-instrument-invented-in-1850.html

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #55,088 of 150,788
I believe an octobass goes that low, or nearly so. There's one at the MIM in Scottsdale that I've heard played, and once in a very blue moon you'll hear one with an orchestra. Offhand, though, don't know of any recordings using one.

Fascinating! In all these years I never knew there was such an instrument. Wikipedia says there are only 7 in existence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octobass

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #55,089 of 150,788

EDIT: Here's a pretty good article about the instrument, and some samples those with intact hearing might find interesting:

http://www.openculture.com/2015/12/...ntuan-string-instrument-invented-in-1850.html
It doubles as a casket so you can really go "under the ground" low with it.

Dec 30, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #55,090 of 150,788

Wholey BatSchiit!!

I wonder how low the lowest fundamental frequency is, let alone the harmonics.
I guess I'll have to dive into this rabbit hole to find out.

But that is impressive no matter what.
And that musician has got to be at least 6' tall…

Edit, Yeah that curator said the lowest fundamental was 16Hz.
I got a taste of it on my system but u-toob's SQ and or the recording itself is bandwidth limited at the very bottom end.
Which is not surprising since reaching sub 20Hz, really isn't part of the playbook, so to speak.

Now the search is on for a CD that 'features' this instrument, that I had Never heard of before either.
So thanks for adding this to the mix.

Now I want to feel my innerds rumbelated by those strings. :ksc75smile:

JJ

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #55,091 of 150,788
Wholey BatSchiit!!

I wonder how low the lowest fundamental frequency is, let alone the harmonics.
I guess I'll have to dive into this rabbit hole to find out.

But that is impressive no matter what.
And that musician has got to be at least 6' tall…

Edit, Yeah that curator said the lowest fundamental was 16Hz.
I got a taste of it on my system but u-toob's SQ and or the recording itself is bandwidth limited at the very bottom end.
Which is not surprising since reaching sub 20Hz, really isn't part of the playbook, so to speak.

Now the search is on for a CD that 'features' this instrument, that I had Never heard of before either.
So thanks for adding this to the mix.

Now I want to feel my innerds rumbelated by those strings. :ksc75smile:

JJ
After seeing this I did a quick Qobuz search for octobass and hits didn't really bring this up.

Dec 30, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #55,093 of 150,788
Hmm.

I do a similar thing, but with my Apple TV Gen 3.

Ethernet into the back, optical out to my DAC. Stream from iTunes, Plex, etc. In theory would work over Wifi but I haven’t tested that. Would probably also work as a Roon endpoint.

No need for any HDMI.

EDIT. OH, I see, your use case is different, you’re using it to listen to tv. I do that too, but I “cast” the sound from my Apple TV gen 4 to my Apple TV gen 3. That way I can have one box connected to the stereo and one to the tv, and switch my source as needed when listening.

I'm using it to stream from my iTunes Library and Amazon Music (HD subscription). Last time I checked Qobuz did not have an Apple TV app :frowning2:. I've stopped my Tidal subscription.

I don't watch TV much anymore.

Dec 30, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #55,094 of 150,788
Dec 30, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #55,095 of 150,788

I wonder what the case looks like - a semi-truck trailer? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back