Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 9, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #53,222 of 149,294
Do you mind sharing some links to the connectors that you prefer? I've been having trouble finding quality USB connectors.

Well as the majority of the world's connectors come out of China these days (even Canare has a factory there now) those are what I use. I have some nickel plated that can be had through Digikey that are pretty good, I will have to look those up Monday but here are some I would trust whose price is good and they are gold plated. We have not had one fail yet and my people have built them for 1.5 years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Sets-USB2...489278?hash=item3d55eb4dbe:g:QroAAOSw3ydV5qsm

Having one of these around can help a bit, and they are not expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/MakerHawk-Mu...32?keywords=usb+tester&qid=1573313949&sr=8-32

There are several models available from about $10 up.

I have a feeling you will be asking about cable next. :smile_phones:

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #53,224 of 149,294
Nov 9, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #53,225 of 149,294
Pretty sure the one tested in the link (I thought the wiring adaptor he used might have helped you)
http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/ADC/USBrecording.html
was a 1st Gen, 2nd Gen was better and current 3rd Gen better again and has the "air" setting.
There are some 2nd Gen still available in my locality for $100 less than the current Gen, maybe you could get lucky :wink:

Thanks, this seems that at the very least I will need to lookout for those models with two such identical ports and then use two similar adapters

I will ask in those pro audio forums to see what they think of those models I mentioned; there isn't seem to be much good data on how good they are for such recording purposes. Hopefully this will be of use to those needing a replacement to Jil

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #53,226 of 149,294
A few days? Not nearly impulsive enough. You should work on that. :relaxed:

Seriously, be interested to hear what you think of the Omens once you get them. My next upgrade will likely be to the Tekton Double Impacts, but I still have a lot of curiosity on the Zu's.

If it helps I almost bought an expensive-ish toob amp to go with them, then decided I should wai... You're right I should work on it.
I'd love to hear Tektons some day.

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #53,227 of 149,294
I haven't had the chance to hear it myself, but I've heard several other folks mentioning the Modi Multibit and Vali 2 as a combo that has good synergy.
+1 on that combination. My vote... Vali-2 perched ontop of a Magni2, being fed by a Modi-Multibit/EITRd pairing. When I want immediate gratification, I heat up those 2 amps. For weekend listening, I fire up my Valhalla 2... and bask in the incandescent glow! :ksc75smile:

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #53,228 of 149,294
There and Back Again – A DAC Journey

I’ve been a fan of the Schiit multibit DACs for some time, with the original Bifrost Multibit in my headphone system and the Modi Multibit in my speaker system (Modi Multibit – Saga – Aegir – Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend).

I decided to pick up a Bifrost 2 after reading some initial impressions that it offered a step up from the Modi Multibit – better bass, more open midrange and a softer, more refined treble. The treble part really intrigued me since I have the pleasure of suffering from Tinnitus and am very treble sensitive. I find the treble of the Modi Multibit to be both pleasant and resolving without being sharp or grating.

So, I installed the Bifrost 2 in my speaker system and let it warm up for about 24 hours before I started listening. The Saga makes it easy to switch between the Bifrost 2 and the Modi Multibit so it’s easy to compare. I really like the bass and midrange on the Bifrost 2 – the bass is deep and juicy, and the midrange is very natural and resolving. However, the treble on the Bifrost 2 has (to my ears) a sharp edge to it that bothers me. It may be more resolving than the Modi Multibit, but it makes recordings that have a pronounced treble less pleasant to listen to – at least for me. (Like I said, I am very treble-sensitive.) I let the Bifrost 2 stay on for a week and tried again (I leave my DACs on all the time), but with the same results. I’ve heard some folks say that the Bifrost 2 ‘lifts the veil’ compared to the Modi Multibit, so maybe I just prefer to hear music through a veil.

So, unfortunately the Bifrost 2 is not for me. No problem – Schiit has a generous return policy and I can use the money that I’m saving on the Bifrost 2 return to buy the Lyr 3 that I’ve been wanting for some time. Also, I can see that many people will prefer the Bifrost 2 over the Modi Multibit, so you should listen for yourself if you get a chance.

After the return of the Bifrost 2 the urge to experiment some more convinced me to buy a Modi 3. Yes, a delta/sigma DAC. Heresy! But at $99 at least it’s an affordable heresy. Same setup as above, and I was surprised by how noticeable the differences between the two DACs are. I hear the Modi 3 as having a more forward-sounding midrange and a softer, less resolved treble. The Modi Multibit has a more spacious presentation and a more free-flowing, natural-sounding midrange to my ears. Human voices sound more ‘real’ on the Modi Multibit. The Modi 3 seems to bring you closer and more up-front to the musicians while the Multibit version present more of a musical space in front of you.

Conclusions? First, the Modi Multibit is an impressive DAC. I’m very happy with it, and it’s going to stay right where it is. Second, I was surprised on how noticeable the differences were between the Modi 3 and the Modi Multibit, especially after reading the reports from the (almost) blind test at the Schiitr where the participants had trouble telling them apart. I am unable to do a blind test in my system, but I do hear noticeable differences between the DACs. It would be an interesting experience if I ever get a chance to participate in a blind test in the future. YMMV, as always.

Too bad though.
I have a slight bit of tinnitus too, and is somewhat sensitive to treble also; and I was actually considering Bifrost 2.

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #53,229 of 149,294
This is the start of my large audio rack wiring, I am not happy with some of the cable lengths so I may reduce them a bit. IMG_1452.jpg

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #53,230 of 149,294
I started on the forum that way, with only a Magni. Modi Multibit followed a few months later, and after hearing that in my AV rig, I jumped head first down the rabbit hole.
giphy.gif

Nov 9, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #53,231 of 149,294
This is the start of my large audio rack wiring, I am not happy with some of the cable lengths so I may reduce them a bit.

I'm curious, what are those black ties you're using to bundle the cables together?

(I'm always in search of better cable management... too many years of taking electronics into the field and then having to maintain it.)

Nov 9, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #53,232 of 149,294
F9BAC1A8-4F48-4839-926D-8DC9EEB813E0.jpeg
I'm curious, what are those black ties you're using to bundle the cables together?

(I'm always in search of better cable management... too many years of taking electronics into the field and then having to maintain it.)

Those are just nylon ties but used in a specific pattern. Cheap and quick to disconnect. I learned about it from an auto mechanic who used it for spark plug wires. There is a long wire tie wrapped around all cables, then individual ties in between. I just realized the junction of the long tie does not show in the photos
F3CE2FC3-5733-4BBC-8FBA-4ED91B97DF5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #53,233 of 149,294
+1 on that combination. My vote... Vali-2 perched ontop of a Magni2, being fed by a Modi-Multibit/EITRd pairing. When I want immediate gratification, I heat up those 2 amps. For weekend listening, I fire up my Valhalla 2... and bask in the incandescent glow! :ksc75smile:
Add my +1. That cmbo sits on my desk, fed by a Pi with a Hifiberry Digi Pro via S/PDIF coax. Bifrost/Lyr 3 foe evenings and weekends!

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #53,234 of 149,294

Those are just nylon ties but used in a specific pattern. Cheap and quick to disconnect. I learned about it from an auto mechanic who used it for spark plug wires. There is a long wire tie wrapped around all cables, then individual ties in between. I just realized the junction of the long tie does not show in the photos

And all along I was thinking those were G-strings snipped off your old underwear. I like the cable tie idea better. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #53,235 of 149,294
And all along I was thinking those were G-strings snipped off your old underwear. I like the cable tie idea better. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I think you guys know each other too well. :astonished:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back