Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 5, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #53,041 of 150,581
I am starting to think that I should just get the Hel as a psuedo-Jil; I am not confident with most of the solutions I see in the market
Now I really regret not getting the Jill sooner, or being able to return to this thread for the matter...!
Still 3 available over here in Europe. Just add a different wall wart to adapt to 110V.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #53,042 of 150,581
I havd a 1969 MGB GT and that was the same, very easy to work on.
I had a 69 MG Midget. Replaced the SU carbs with a four barrel Weber. I'm not sure which changed more, the ease of service (up) or the gas mileage (down).

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #53,043 of 150,581
There and Back Again – A DAC Journey

I’ve been a fan of the Schiit multibit DACs for some time, with the original Bifrost Multibit in my headphone system and the Modi Multibit in my speaker system (Modi Multibit – Saga – Aegir – Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend).

I decided to pick up a Bifrost 2 after reading some initial impressions that it offered a step up from the Modi Multibit – better bass, more open midrange and a softer, more refined treble. The treble part really intrigued me since I have the pleasure of suffering from Tinnitus and am very treble sensitive. I find the treble of the Modi Multibit to be both pleasant and resolving without being sharp or grating.

So, I installed the Bifrost 2 in my speaker system and let it warm up for about 24 hours before I started listening. The Saga makes it easy to switch between the Bifrost 2 and the Modi Multibit so it’s easy to compare. I really like the bass and midrange on the Bifrost 2 – the bass is deep and juicy, and the midrange is very natural and resolving. However, the treble on the Bifrost 2 has (to my ears) a sharp edge to it that bothers me. It may be more resolving than the Modi Multibit, but it makes recordings that have a pronounced treble less pleasant to listen to – at least for me. (Like I said, I am very treble-sensitive.) I let the Bifrost 2 stay on for a week and tried again (I leave my DACs on all the time), but with the same results. I’ve heard some folks say that the Bifrost 2 ‘lifts the veil’ compared to the Modi Multibit, so maybe I just prefer to hear music through a veil.

So, unfortunately the Bifrost 2 is not for me. No problem – Schiit has a generous return policy and I can use the money that I’m saving on the Bifrost 2 return to buy the Lyr 3 that I’ve been wanting for some time. Also, I can see that many people will prefer the Bifrost 2 over the Modi Multibit, so you should listen for yourself if you get a chance.

After the return of the Bifrost 2 the urge to experiment some more convinced me to buy a Modi 3. Yes, a delta/sigma DAC. Heresy! But at $99 at least it’s an affordable heresy. Same setup as above, and I was surprised by how noticeable the differences between the two DACs are. I hear the Modi 3 as having a more forward-sounding midrange and a softer, less resolved treble. The Modi Multibit has a more spacious presentation and a more free-flowing, natural-sounding midrange to my ears. Human voices sound more ‘real’ on the Modi Multibit. The Modi 3 seems to bring you closer and more up-front to the musicians while the Multibit version present more of a musical space in front of you.

Conclusions? First, the Modi Multibit is an impressive DAC. I’m very happy with it, and it’s going to stay right where it is. Second, I was surprised on how noticeable the differences were between the Modi 3 and the Modi Multibit, especially after reading the reports from the (almost) blind test at the Schiitr where the participants had trouble telling them apart. I am unable to do a blind test in my system, but I do hear noticeable differences between the DACs. It would be an interesting experience if I ever get a chance to participate in a blind test in the future. YMMV, as always.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #53,044 of 150,581

I’ve been a fan of the Schiit multibit DACs for some time, with the original Bifrost Multibit in my headphone system and the Modi Multibit in my speaker system (Modi Multibit – Saga – Aegir – Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend).

I decided to pick up a Bifrost 2 after reading some initial impressions that it offered a step up from the Modi Multibit – better bass, more open midrange and a softer, more refined treble. The treble part really intrigued me since I have the pleasure of suffering from Tinnitus and am very treble sensitive. I find the treble of the Modi Multibit to be both pleasant and resolving without being sharp or grating.

So, I installed the Bifrost 2 in my speaker system and let it warm up for about 24 hours before I started listening. The Saga makes it easy to switch between the Bifrost 2 and the Modi Multibit so it’s easy to compare. I really like the bass and midrange on the Bifrost 2 – the bass is deep and juicy, and the midrange is very natural and resolving. However, the treble on the Bifrost 2 has (to my ears) a sharp edge to it that bothers me. It may be more resolving than the Modi Multibit, but it makes recordings that have a pronounced treble less pleasant to listen to – at least for me. (Like I said, I am very treble-sensitive.) I let the Bifrost 2 stay on for a week and tried again (I leave my DACs on all the time), but with the same results. I’ve heard some folks say that the Bifrost 2 ‘lifts the veil’ compared to the Modi Multibit, so maybe I just prefer to hear music through a veil.

So, unfortunately the Bifrost 2 is not for me. No problem – Schiit has a generous return policy and I can use the money that I’m saving on the Bifrost 2 return to buy the Lyr 3 that I’ve been wanting for some time. Also, I can see that many people will prefer the Bifrost 2 over the Modi Multibit, so you should listen for yourself if you get a chance.

After the return of the Bifrost 2 the urge to experiment some more convinced me to buy a Modi 3. Yes, a delta/sigma DAC. Heresy! But at $99 at least it’s an affordable heresy. Same setup as above, and I was surprised by how noticeable the differences between the two DACs are. I hear the Modi 3 as having a more forward-sounding midrange and a softer, less resolved treble. The Modi Multibit has a more spacious presentation and a more free-flowing, natural-sounding midrange to my ears. Human voices sound more ‘real’ on the Modi Multibit. The Modi 3 seems to bring you closer and more up-front to the musicians while the Multibit version present more of a musical space in front of you.

Conclusions? First, the Modi Multibit is an impressive DAC. I’m very happy with it, and it’s going to stay right where it is. Second, I was surprised on how noticeable the differences were between the Modi 3 and the Modi Multibit, especially after reading the reports from the (almost) blind test at the Schiitr where the participants had trouble telling them apart. I am unable to do a blind test in my system, but I do hear noticeable differences between the DACs. It would be an interesting experience if I ever get a chance to participate in a blind test in the future. YMMV, as always.

I agree with your conclusions with respect to the Modi v. Modi Multibit. I had heard there was some slight difference and a normal person would not notice. I did not have that experience. I did a lot of back and forth at the Schiitr and always noticed the difference between the two. I liked the sound much better. However, the biggest difference in my experience on the low end was between the Magni and Vali 2. It's an amazing improvement. So, that is what I went with: Modi Multibit and Vali 2.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #53,045 of 150,581
Darn, looks like we should have acted faster. How was the Behringer device though?

Well, it works. But it's USB powered so a noisy port affects performance.

Max recording resolution is 16/48. I'm not all that interested in super rez recordings (I've bought some from HDtracks, but either my system is not resolving enough, or I'm not) but I believe in over-sampling at the recording stage so you can do any digital manipulation you like, then saving the final product to Redbook. This does not allow that.

If you set your levels so there's no clipping but no loss of headroom and just save it, don't do any click removal or other post processing, it's ok if your USB port is quiet. If you're trying to clean up a scratchy record or hissy tape, you probably want something that records at a higher bit rate so you can have throwaway bits.

In the end I wanted a Jil.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #53,047 of 150,581
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #53,048 of 150,581
I agree with your conclusions with respect to the Modi v. Modi Multibit. I had heard there was some slight difference and a normal person would not notice. I did not have that experience. I did a lot of back and forth at the Schiitr and always noticed the difference between the two. I liked the sound much better. However, the biggest difference in my experience on the low end was between the Magni and Vali 2. It's an amazing improvement. So, that is what I went with: Modi Multibit and Vali 2.

I haven't had the chance to hear it myself, but I've heard several other folks mentioning the Modi Multibit and Vali 2 as a combo that has good synergy.

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #53,049 of 150,581
After years of drooling and dreaming with ORT, I finally found someone to build a gorgeous set of Vu meters for me.
They're beating to the output of the Yggdrasil DAC.
Tnx Tom.

IMG_20191105_194102.jpg

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #53,050 of 150,581
What are mains power regenerators? I'm having problems with power running high (125.7V) and am interested in pulling it closer to nominal in the (everlasting) search to remove the pops and crackles........
You can think of them as high-voltage, high-power, low frequency precision signal generators. I.e. 120v 60hz (usa).

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #53,051 of 150,581
After years of drooling and dreaming with ORT, I finally found someone to build a gorgeous set of Vu meters for me.
Tnx Tom.

That is lovely. If my system was not to the side of my listening space, I would enjoy having something like that. (would be hard to see in the current set up)

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #53,052 of 150,581
Tnx Tom.

My pleasure to help out, now I just have to build one for myself one day. :)
I just wish I could have sent one to ORT before he passed.

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #53,053 of 150,581

Very nice writeup about ModiMultibit vs Bifrost2 and Modi3. I think you described the differences between them nicely. Also, I don’t like too much treble either, which is one reason I prefer HD6XX over HD58X.

It is interesting how we hear and prefer things differently. I agree with your description about their differences, but I find myself taking the other stance and prefer the Bifrost2 :) With the HD6XX and Lyr3 I hear the Bifrost2 as wider, clearer (there’s your treble I guess), and with better separation than the multibit card (essentially equivalent with Modi multibit).

Aside: I also have a tinnitus in one ear that comes and goes (caused by an accident that happened when biking without a helmet - don’t do that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back