Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 4, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #53,011 of 150,799
Tried to talk a friend out of an MG, “low mileage “. Told him it was a hobby not a car. It’s still low mileage.

My brother-in-law had a red MG when he was dating my sister. After the 3rd breakdown that left them stranded, she told him to either get another car or get a new girlfriend. Obviously he got another car. :relaxed:

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #53,012 of 150,799
"The joy of beater Ferraris." As a former owner of "beater Maseratis," I suspect the joy is actually known as "expensive mechanics bills." :wink:

My car lease is up next year. The new Corvette Stingray (C8) looks like relatives should be able to buy one for Xmas. I live in hope ...........

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #53,013 of 150,799
My car lease is up next year. The new Corvette Stingray (C8) looks like relatives should be able to buy one for Xmas. I live in hope ...........

Perhaps we should touch base on Christmas morning and console each other. :relaxed:

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #53,014 of 150,799
Doubtful since you were one of the main ones that complained last time said hobby was discussed...

I don't hold this against you however.

Hmmm so you are using cryo on that. Interesting. I been around that hobby my entire life (rural Midwest thing) and was a state certified instructor once. I have not read up on cryoing in that hobby. PM me with the info please. Always interesting to learn new things..

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #53,015 of 150,799
A couple of tips and tricks to cooking cables.
You can both under cook and over cook any cable.
Under cooking means the full impact may not be realized but can be rectified by additional cooking.
Over cooked cables will sound like mush and will take 'a while' to settle back down, as in a day or more of not being used. You can also use them and hear as they come into proper 'focus'.

You can daisy chain as many of the same type of cable as you have adapters for.
And in the case of balanced (XLR) cables there is no limit.
You can cook multiple types of cables at the same time, with only a few exceptions.

The greater the gauge the more time needed to 'fully' cook a cable.

10g power cables can take in excess of 72hrs, while interconnects 24-36hrs.
Itsy-bitsy wires in 24hrs or less.
And it depends on which of the 2 cooking circuits are used.
The line level circuits (RCA, XLR, BNC) are wired into the lower powered cook circuits
The banana/binding posts are for speaker and power cables, and deliver higher current.

Leave plenty of space around the cooker as it does run 'warm' and needs ventilation.

And last, some consider cooking a cable with this cooker, as by-passing burn in, which is true but is only part of what happens.
As best as I can tell this process 'un-biases' the dielectric, as in, it scrambles the dielectric relationship between the conductor and the insulator.
It also seems to either minimize the amount of electrical charge/release, or it balances it out, in terms of frequency response.
This also seems to help explain why the cables need to be re-cooked after a time, as the residual storage of energy returns to a biased state thru time and use.

JJ

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #53,016 of 150,799
I use something similar on my TV rig to send sound to the coaxial on my schiit dacs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XCTGZFT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

USB powered, works great, not the final word on SQ, but good enough for my needs in that space.

Thank you, I found that model too and it is my first choice too. Seems more flexible (and cheaper) than an USB soundcard but this also means I'll need to find a separate USB soundcard that can do line in

I have one. That’s why I wanted to replace it with a Jil.

Darn, looks like we should have acted faster. How was the Behringer device though?

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #53,017 of 150,799
I read a lot from this guys and can't find a real explanation for the alleged benefit of the proces.
I also have a problem with "scientists" whom keep using the imperial units system instead of the world wide SI-system used by real scientists.
Besides that, if one hears an improvement in whatever they "ice" they should continue doing it.
The proof puts pudin inside your ears.
From what I understand the cryo process tends to re-organize the lattice structure of the material by forcing the matrix of the material into a 'tighter' grouping. This in turn tends to strengthen and improve the structural integrity of the whole.
They cryo entire engine blocks for race cars, and musical instruments (saxes, horns, electric guitars, etc.) and their basic character changes.

But the greatest industrial use is machine tools and bits and cutting edges of all types.
If you do get a chance to cryo anything and you use a straight razor (with 1-x) number of blades, get the blades cryo'd and see how long the edge stays sharp…

With wire it seems to to be able to 'improve' the grain structure of the wire itself which lowers the impedance of the wire in general.
In fact there are companies that actively use a cryo treatment to make the wires (Jena Wire) and others that cryo their cables as part of their cable making process (Shunyata).

But the thing is it seems no one has spent the money to do a full on series of tests to actually know what and why the process provides the changes it does.
They know what the results are and what the benefits are and that seems good enough.

And one of the benefits is increased structural integrity along with greatly increased wear life.
And since the process does not thermally shock what is being cryo'd, even some 'delicate' objects can be processed.

I'm kinda surprised it hasn't caught on more with some manufacturers etc, what with the list of benefits and all.

JJ

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #53,018 of 150,799
I read a lot from this guys and can't find a real explanation for the alleged benefit of the proces.
I also have a problem with "scientists" whom keep using the imperial units system instead of the world wide SI-system used by real scientists.
Besides that, if one hears an improvement in whatever they "ice" they should continue doing it.
The proof puts pudin inside your ears.
From what I understand the cryo process tends to re-organize the lattice structure of the material by forcing the matrix of the material into a 'tighter' grouping. This in turn tends to strengthen and improve the structural integrity of the whole.
They cryo entire engine blocks for race cars, and musical instruments (saxes, horns, electric guitars, etc.) and their basic character changes.

But the greatest industrial use is machine tools and bits and cutting edges of all types.
If you do get a chance to cryo anything and you use a straight razor (with 1-x) number of blades, get the blades cryo'd and see how long the edge stays sharp…

With wire it seems to to be able to 'improve' the grain structure of the wire itself which lowers the impedance of the wire in general.
In fact there are companies that actively use a cryo treatment to make the wires (Jena Wire) and others that cryo their cables as part of their cable making process (Shunyata).

But the thing is no one has spent the money to do a full on series of tests to actually know what and why the process provides the changes it does.
They know what the results are and what the benefits are and that seems good enough.
And one of the benefits is increased structural integrity along with greatly increased wear life.
And since the process does not thermally shock what is being cryo'd, even some 'delicate' objects can be processed.

I'm kinda surprised it hasn't caught on more with some manufacturers etc, what with the list of benefits and all.

JJ

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #53,019 of 150,799
Try a Fiat. After trying to help a friend with his, I'd be surprised if they've ever hired an engineer with an actual degree.
My dad had a 1969 124 Sport Coupe with which he commuted ~80 miles a day in Southern California for many years. He sold it to me for $250, after that it was called a FIAP (Fix It Again Paul). The car was reliable, you just needed to check stuff regularly. I did not help things by dropping washers into spark plug holes. The engine makes loud noises and you have to take it out again. I miss that car.

@Ableza , what kind of Maserati did you have?

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #53,020 of 150,799
Awesome. Now you've "improved" a 6 foot piece of power cable. What are you doing about the tens or hundreds of feet of cable in your walls?

My standard build procedure involves exactly 8 minutes of loving kindness meditation towards the gear I'm installing. It really* works.

I am using 2 mains power regenerators for my source components.. that "really" works and the stuff in the walls becomes pretty much irrelevant...

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #53,021 of 150,799
I think lay-away's are mostly dead but they were popular before the rise of easy credit. Eventually large retailers started offering credit purchases, then came credit cards, and of course, the latest adaptation of loan sharking, quick loans. A few banks still offer special christmas savings accounts to help you prepare for the most important spending season of all.
It is, of course, not new that a significant portion of the population are not good at saving. Been there, done that :frowning2:

I think some folks used to use lay-a-ways to assure a certain product they wanted as a gift was available closer to the holiday, especially if it was on sale early in the holiday buying season...

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #53,022 of 150,799
I am starting to think that I should just get the Hel as a psuedo-Jil; I am not confident with most of the solutions I see in the market

Now I really regret not getting the Jill sooner, or being able to return to this thread for the matter...!

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #53,023 of 150,799
I am starting to think that I should just get the Hel as a psuedo-Jil; I am not confident with most of the solutions I see in the market

Now I really regret not getting the Jill sooner, or being able to return to this thread for the matter...!
Try this Parasound A to D converter---it is a bit pricey, but includes a phono preamp and two line level inputs. I believe the A to D chip is by Analog Devices.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #53,025 of 150,799
A friend asked me to work on his FIAT convertable. I knew better and refused.
Granted my car was a 1969, but it was the easiest car to work on. Not complicated and everything was accessible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back