Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 4, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #52,981 of 150,456
Have you checked to see if Hel is in high gain? That's the right knob on the front, next to the headphone jack (down is low gain). I would be surprised if Hel was too loud in low gain mode except maybe for some extremely sensitive IEMs.
It's low. At office it were the Shure SE846, which are super sensitive, yeah. Coming back home though, Hel had no problem blasting an HD 650 to the moon on low gain as well, and will easily explode 99% of gaming headsets out there.
The thing is, the noise floor is low to non-existent on low gain, so you'd hope the pot would be adjusted to have a slower ramp up like in the Magni 3 (although I haven't heard that one myself).

Interesting, what is your source if you don’t mind my asking? I’m using it on my gaming rig but I like the analog input on the back for on the go listening options...but I don’t think it would replace my iFi Nano BL for EDC Audio emergencies lol (that lil device is awesome for that). I’ll try and play with source volume levels on my Gaming PC, but from my understanding, is that usually you want source at 90-100% volume then let the amp control from there. Still loving this lil desktop AIO! Got busy today, and tomorrow is full up but I’ll try and get some more “artistic” real camera shots of it this week =) my other problem is I don’t have the greatest low light lenses for my Sony A7iii...need to look into that...
Just Windows 10 USB. Software volume impact on sound quality is probably overrated (unless below 10% or so), but I don't like doing it anyways. The whole point with audio hardware is taking the sound control away from software, so that's why I'm somewhat bummed out about the loudness.

Volume issues aside, I like the Hel. I already have a whole pile of Schiit products and frankly bought this for the mic input more than audio output. Simple quality microphone control are a rare thing to find. Hell, if Schiit sells just the mic portion of the unit for around $50, they might be up to something.
Anyhow, it records really good and it's a real shame microphones on gaming gear suck so much ass. Literally, there's not a single gaming headset that produces results anywhere near a $50 mic from a respectable brand.
I also like the paintjob. It looked pretty good in the product pictures and looks even better in person. Here, have a free pic - I even threw in a Vali for teh lolz.
IMG_0044.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #52,982 of 150,456
how do you cook and cryo?
I send the completed cables to
http://www.cryogenicsinternational.com/
and then I use the audiodharma cable cooker to 'condition' the cables.
https://www.thecablecooker.com/

These 2 steps are far more expensive than the UL rated THHN/THN wire and connector sets I use, but in my system they make quite a difference.
And the cooking process is an ongoing treatment.
IOW I have found that every 6-9 months I 'need' to re-cook all of my cables in order to bring them back to their optimal SQ.

What 'tips me off' to remind me I 'need' to do this is, the soundstage goes 2d, the dynamics dry up, the very bottom end gets anemic, especially for sub 20Hz to ≈ 50Hz and the overall SQ goes sideways as a result.

JJ

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #52,983 of 150,456
how do you cook and cryo?

There are several devices out there for cooking. Below is what I use. As far as Cryo-ing, that requires equipment with prices that are well out of range for even your typical audio spendthrift (like me). :relaxed: I sent my tubes to the same place @johnjen noted above. There are other places as well, but Cryogenics International is accommodating, turns things around quickly, and doesn't require huge minimum quantities (or dollars) like some others.

Audiodharma Cooking.jpg

Edit: ooops, looks like @johnjen beat me to it. But proof positive that great minds think alike. Not that I have one, but I have one on order. :grimacing:

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #52,984 of 150,456
I read a lot from this guys and can't find a real explanation for the alleged benefit of the proces.
I also have a problem with "scientists" whom keep using the imperial units system instead of the world wide SI-system used by real scientists.
Besides that, if one hears an improvement in whatever they "ice" they should continue doing it.
The proof puts pudin inside your ears.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #52,985 of 150,456
[QUOTE="Paladin79, post: 15287808, member: 452938" ... Xmas is soon approaching and it is time to get into the spirit of giving.

Yep, I'm hoping someone will give me a Jotunheinm R![/QUOTE]

I was hoping for a Ferrari, but I predict this will be yet another Christmas where my hopes are dashed against the rocks. I have such cheap relatives...

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #52,986 of 150,456
I have no financial interests in any audio company, but Kef has something of a US-wide sale on some of their speakers including LS50 and LSX. Amazon and Best Buy included. Google is your friend.

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #52,987 of 150,456
I read a lot from this guys and can't find a real explanation for the alleged benefit of the proces.
I also have a problem with "scientists" whom keep using the imperial units system instead of the world wide SI-system used by real scientists.
Besides that, if one hears an improvement in whatever they "ice" they should continue doing it.
I will never tell anyone that what they think they hear is wrong, because all audio is subjective. But from an engineering perspective the only audio-related thing cryo treatment or baking might to to a cable is damage it. But, as I always say, whatever floats your boat.

I have some brilliant pebbles for sale, too.

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #52,989 of 150,456
Because we are friends and you're my therapist, maybe you can throw them over the ocean just for free.
I promise to do a thorough A/B-ing etc. etc...
No problem. I'll even put them out in the desert for a while first for a reverse-cryo treatment.

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #52,991 of 150,456

I am skeptical but I will try one of the cable cookers on headphone cables because I know @bcowen , and I will see if Jason wants to mess around with some cooked and cryo'd AC cables. It would be a fun experiment. I like to get engineers involved when I can. :smile_phones::smile_phones:

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #52,992 of 150,456
I am skeptical but I will try one of the cable cookers on headphone cables because I know @bcowen , and I will see if Jason wants to mess around with some cooked and cryo'd AC cables. It would be a fun experiment. I like to get engineers involved when I can. :smile_phones::smile_phones:
Cable cooking works. It is a shortened way of "burning in".

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #52,994 of 150,456
So far I have heard three people say it works, anyone else tried one?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #52,995 of 150,456
Tried cooking interconnect cables in my Whirlpool microwave and fried the Magnatron. I'll try it again on 50% power after the service guy is done and report back. :unamused:

I wonder if I need to let the cables sit for 1 minute before removing them from the microwave? :thinking:

Nope. Fried it again. Last time I listen to @bcowen. :rage:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back