Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #53,056 of 145,595
how much is one of those?

I do not really sell those, PM me and I would talk to you about it, they are more labor intensive than you might think lol.

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #53,057 of 145,595
I do not really sell those, PM me and I would talk to you about it, they are more labor intensive than you might think lol.

Which is why I am not personally sending you a PM. Willing to assume it is too rich for me right now. Also, I have my own DIY project I want to do at some point soon. Admittedly, I do not know the proper name for it other than a jumper switch box. Plug inputs and outputs into the back of the box. On the front are mono quarter inch jacks and I would use short jumpers to connect my desired source to the desired output.

Currently I am using a Realist Tape Control Center for my input/output selection, but I have run out of input and outputs on it right now. Also, I am not the biggest fan of the shared ground across all of the channels used in the switch box.

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #53,058 of 145,595
Although I don't have any experience with the kind of mics you have, Sennheiser claims to put some good mics in their gaming headsets like the PC37X. Do you have any experience with those headsets? I'm curious.
Yeah, this is the headset in the picture I posted. It's the 1% along with the few high caliber audio-brands-went-gaming, and you immediately hear the difference in a crowded Discord channel. Gaming brands though, such as Razer, Asus and SteelSeries to name a few, get nowhere near the performance even with their most high-end models - a lot of them actually sounding worse than smartphone mics.

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #53,059 of 145,595
Which is why I am not personally sending you a PM. Willing to assume it is too rich for me right now. Also, I have my own DIY project I want to do at some point soon. Admittedly, I do not know the proper name for it other than a jumper switch box. Plug inputs and outputs into the back of the box. On the front are mono quarter inch jacks and I would use short jumpers to connect my desired source to the desired output.

Currently I am using a Realist Tape Control Center for my input/output selection, but I have run out of input and outputs on it right now. Also, I am not the biggest fan of the shared ground across all of the channels used in the switch box.

If you can build that, you can build one of these. I would be happy to help with a materials list. Since I built this I have found the exact American made aluminum box on sale. I set the meters up on a Gungnir and a few other DACS I have and luckily they were correct for the Yggdrasil (spelling?). I also added a set of RCA outs so PCT does not give that up with the meters in circuit. I do this kind of thing as a hobby and a few folks might be able to tell you if asked for something, I try to help out where I can. :smile_phones:

I am not certain I ever charged for a purple cable, there is electronics and there is art. Ars Gratia Artis.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #53,060 of 145,595
What are mains power regenerators? I'm having problems with power running high (125.7V) and am interested in pulling it closer to nominal in the (everlasting) search to remove the pops and crackles........

does the voltage fluctuate when fridge, microwave, hair dryer, washing machine, electric stove, etc. are active? you might want to have an electrician check the integrity of the connections at the meter socket, main breaker, and any distribution panels.

i had a similar problem with pops from a paper shredder running on the same circuit as an Aragon 18K preamp (used to drive headphones, has med-power driver mosfet output transistors so designed for regular preamp duty or headphones).

fixes were:

called local power company, they found and corrected weakened neutral wire on the pole drop feeding the house. this reduced the flickering of lights but pops still present.

added 4-stage filtered power strip (Belkin), which greatly reduced but did not eliminate the pops.

added additional Corcom line filter (in separate enclosure) between Belkin and Aragon. note that lower-current-rated models (e.g. 1, 2, or 3 A) have higher dB noise rejection rating, but not suitable for integrated (speaker) amps and power amps.

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #53,061 of 145,595
If you can build that, you can build one of these. I would be happy to help with a materials list. Since I built this I have found the exact American made aluminum box on sale. I set the meters up on a Gungnir and a few other DACS I have and luckily they were correct for the Yggdrasil (spelling?). I also added a set of RCA outs so PCT does not give that up with the meters in circuit. I do this kind of thing as a hobby and a few folks might be able to tell you if asked for something, I try to help out where I can. :smile_phones:

I am not certain I ever charged for a purple cable, there is electronics and there is art. Ars Gratia Artis.

Well, there is still the "if" I can build it. Money is a little tight, but I have been looking at parts (fortunately, there are not many for this project). I may go to the ReStore soon to see if I can find a suitable box there. If I can, that might help kickstart this project. (as well as getting or borrowing tools I need).

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #53,062 of 145,595
Well, there is still the "if" I can build it. Money is a little tight, but I have been looking at parts (fortunately, there are not many for this project). I may go to the ReStore soon to see if I can find a suitable box there. If I can, that might help kickstart this project. (as well as getting or borrowing tools I need).

PM me if you have trouble locating any parts, and there are a few items I might be able to donate.

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #53,063 of 145,595
PM me if you have trouble locating any parts, and there are a few items I might be able to donate.

Can these be done with digital readouts? I'm not as old as you and don't speak analog. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #53,064 of 145,595
Can these be done with digital readouts? I'm not as old as you and don't speak analog. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Omg you want flashing lights? How uncouth of you!!! I thought guys in the South were supposed to have class and style?? When the signal hits those meters, it is analog, so there. :ksc75smile:
Digital readouts indeed! It could be done, but it will not be done by me.:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #53,065 of 145,595

I appreciate the offer. I have found jacks on parts express. Wire is something that is always handy to have and is not difficult to track down, and I really should own my own soldering iron. Then it is a matter of finding a good box and either 1/8 inch plastic or something else to mount the jacks on.

This is not a huge rush to get this project done since I currently do not have physical space to expand my system at this time. Just looking ahead to when I might get a solid state integrated amp so I do not cook in the summer like I do with tubes, and possibly getting a third turntable into my system. (Already own the turntable, just need a preamp and another input into the switch box, and I would rather not start daisy chaining switch boxes).

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #53,066 of 145,595
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #53,067 of 145,595
does the voltage fluctuate when fridge, microwave, hair dryer, washing machine, electric stove, etc. are active? you might want to have an electrician check the integrity of the connections at the meter socket, main breaker, and any distribution panels.

i had a similar problem with pops from a paper shredder running on the same circuit as an Aragon 18K preamp (used to drive headphones, has med-power driver mosfet output transistors so designed for regular preamp duty or headphones).

fixes were:

called local power company, they found and corrected weakened neutral wire on the pole drop feeding the house. this reduced the flickering of lights but pops still present.

added 4-stage filtered power strip (Belkin), which greatly reduced but did not eliminate the pops.

added additional Corcom line filter (in separate enclosure) between Belkin and Aragon. note that lower-current-rated models (e.g. 1, 2, or 3 A) have higher dB noise rejection rating, but not suitable for integrated (speaker) amps and power amps.

Thanks for these thoughts. I have installed an APC voltage regulator which only show high/low and an OK light, so it doesn't have the granularity needed to detect transients.

I'm working through all the options we have identified: your list adds a few, thanks!

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #53,068 of 145,595

That sounds and looks correct, yes. My friend that told me about the concept mentioned working at an audio store and they used this for A/B testing sources and/or amps. Use the 1/4 inch patch cables to make one connection, and then change when you want to switch.

It is a simple and elegant enough concept and a decent solution for my situation. I do realize pops can happen if I unplug a patch cord while the amp is on, but I suspect this can be negated by either changing the source of the integrated amp to something else before unplugging, or turning the valhalla's volume all the way down if that is the one that is connected. I am not certain if those pops are dangerous to the system or not, I just know that I really do not like them when I am doing sound and a guitarist decides to unplug his guitar while not muted.

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #53,070 of 145,595
Are you referring to this? https://www.amazon.com/Parasound-Zphono-Phono-Preamplifier-USB/dp/B001RM7BLG?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

Cos if this is the case, it can't be shipped to Singapore directly, especially due to its size

But I am starting to think that I will need to look into what are called "USB audio interfaces"; those mixer looking like equipment that is connected to the computer via USB. Sounds like overkill but should also do the job
Sorry about the Singapore shipping issue, as it works quite well, albeit only on 16bit/44.1 Khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back