Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 27, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #52,561 of 152,787
We'll be re-doing it next month with 4 DACs (Modi 3, Modi Multibit, Gungnir D/S, and Gungnir Multibit)
Took me a while to finally come to write this, but I'm also wondering if there's any audible difference between the sound of the standalone modi 3 / modi multibit, and the 4490 / multibit cards that go into the DAC/Amps as options.

How about setting up a pair of Jotunheims, or the Asgard 3, with one card in one amp, the other card in the other amp, a modi attached to one, a modi multibit to the other, and perhaps a gungnir / gungnir mb attached to the balanced inputs? And then switching and comparing?
Of course then you do not immediately have volume matching so perhaps you need more amps... But this way the cards can be fairly compared with the standalone DACs for sound-quality and I think that's a very interesting thing to know as well.

Oct 27, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #52,562 of 152,787
Took me a while to finally come to write this, but I'm also wondering if there's any audible difference between the sound of the standalone modi 3 / modi multibit, and the 4490 / multibit cards that go into the DAC/Amps as options.

How about setting up a pair of Jotunheims, or the Asgard 3, with one card in one amp, the other card in the other amp, a modi attached to one, a modi multibit to the other, and perhaps a gungnir / gungnir mb attached to the balanced inputs? And then switching and comparing?
Of course then you do not immediately have volume matching so perhaps you need more amps... But this way the cards can be fairly compared with the standalone DACs for sound-quality and I think that's a very interesting thing to know as well.

I have read reports that the multibit card is not as good as the Modi Multibit. I have not personally heard the card.

Oct 27, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #52,563 of 152,787
Thanks. Just ordered both. So you like the new 6SN7 JJ New Production Singles tubes available directly from Schiit?
Nah. I purchased the JJ tube from a separate vendor. For schiits-and-giggles, I removed the socketsaver-adapter-6SN7 and plugged in a stock tube shipped with my Valhalla 2 (the front 2, NOT the tall, rear, 'power-tubes'). I can't really tell the SQ difference with my rig. Ah well.:ksc75smile:

Part of the enjoyment for me is admiring the the glowing filaments on these tubes. I find it soothing in the evening or before dawn. The 6SN7's construction masks much of the heating filaments. In the Vali-2 rolling thread, users wax poetically about a tube design called the "mouse ears". :) Christ, if a vendor offered me a 6922-pinned tube with a plethora of swirling heater elements (that sounded just as good as Schiit's stock tubes), I'd snap it up.
edison-bulb-filament.jpg
I'm pleased Schiit's willing to sell JJ new-production tubes. I like that Slovakian glass. It'll keep my gear chugging along for years to come.

Oct 27, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #52,564 of 152,787
It sounds like I will have to do that (and maybe use the 15 day guarantee, which I hope not to do so to Schiit) or pray that an Eitr/Wyrd with Unison USB is coming soon and thus the current ones are on Last Call

There could be some used EITR's appearing as people upgrade to the Bifrost 2 (which would make the EITR unnecessary). Not that I know of anyone specifically that would do that... :relaxed:

Oct 27, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #52,565 of 152,787
Oct 27, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #52,566 of 152,787
It sounds like I will have to do that (and maybe use the 15 day guarantee, which I hope not to do so to Schiit) or pray that an Eitr/Wyrd with Unison USB is coming soon and thus the current ones are on Last Call

I have both Eitr and Wyred. What I really like about Eitr is that it can take any USB outputting audio device and separate the crappy USB power from your audio system. It had a more dramatic effect on my system than Wyred. When Jason announced that Eitr and Wyred were going to go away he also stated that we wouldn't see a Unisen (Unison??) version of it.

I use Eitr with my Sonore MicroRendu and the package makes a good digital transport.. Meaning I can use any DAC with a Coax Input regardless of the dacs USB implementation. I basically bought the Eitr instead of sending in my Gumby for the V5 USB. I don't think that you would regret having an Eitr around to use even if you went away from your PC. If I upgrade my Gumby to Unison when it is available I will probably pair my Eitr with a new Raspberry Pi4 (running Volumio) and use it at my Television for music.

Oct 27, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #52,567 of 152,787
Part of the enjoyment for me is admiring the the glowing filaments on these tubes. I find it soothing in the evening or before dawn.

You'll need an adapter for those.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #52,569 of 152,787
So, the ongoing research which I could call: "Do I need new speakers, and how much will I pay" took a turn towards practical listening today. I went to Copenhagen High End audio show, although I was awfully close to skipping it. Intention was to get a feel for how different speakers sound, including checking some brands I had a bit of interest in. I also got a chance to hear some stuff I'd probably never hear under other circumstances. For a bit of show and tell head inside the spoiler tags:

Since speakers were my priority, that's what I concentrated on. I was also on a bit of a timer, since my wife were going to pick me up at a later point in the day; she had no interest in joining what turned out to be a sausagefest (for mainly white, middleaged sausages. Big surprise right here, I know). So in a lot of cases I have no idea what the other equipment were, or can't remember because I'm pre-senile, so sources etc will not be documented. If you recognize gear; feel free to chime in. Many rooms were dealer rooms, so there could several brands in one room. The first one was right off the entrance, with Wharfedale speakers.

2019-10-27%2013.16.24.jpg

Playing both times I came by was Linton 85th anniversary eds, which was fine; I wanted to hear them. Now I've heard them. Not particularily impressed really, they were nice enough, playing some reggae stuff I think first time around, bass was a bit undefined. They sell here for a bit more than my speakers cost me, 10 years ago, but they were on par I'd say, mine has better bass definition I think. The EVOs in the room never got to play during my visit, which was too bad. This dealer had several rooms and I'll go over a few other very fast: They had a room with some Cambridge electronics and some Triangle floorstanders which were fine, if a bit anonymous IMO. Another room seemed like it was a showcase for Kimber cables, it had some Quad ESL (2912, I think) that fell flat on their face first time I got by: Chris Cornell sounded allright, if a bit anemic; but the rest of Soundgarden played 2 rooms over, at the end of a tunnel; down a stairwell... Dunno what went wrong here. No dynamics anywhere in sight.

Next was another dealer; here we had some Stendheim, some Magico and some GoldenEar Triton One. Price range for the assembled systems went from ½ a mortgage to 2+ mortgages. I wanted to get a feel for GoldenEar, but had to hear Stendheim first. Song was Sound of Silence in a cover version. Honestly, I'd expect more in that pricerange, lots of essy treble. They did better with saxy jazz. The GoldenEar was really nice though, I'd hope you can tame the bass in them (since the sub part in them is active; I guess you can), I'd say the Ones are outta my budget, but the Two's are reasonable. I went back to this room and they were back to the Stendheims, being the most expensive I guess they had to push them. Got a list of full equipment from this room, which was a nice touch. No pics from this here.

Next up:

2019-10-27%2012.45.10.jpg

I planned to check out Audio Note UK, they had a room 2 sizes up from broom closet, way too small. The system in the room cost about one years salary, and sounded really, REALLY good. AN UK are definitely still on my shortlist; AN-Es used are just within my limits. The ones playing were AN-E sth sth at around $10-12000. Picture is really schiit, room was dark, and I didn't want to use flash. They had Victor Belanger to do some stuff too but willfully missed out on it, room got way too stuffy (I briefly mentioned they should get a bigger room next time around). Also 99,9 % sure I rode the elevator with Peter Quotrup, but I'm not fanboy enough to start pestering people.

Wanted check out Spendor, they had A7s playing they were very nice, reminded me a lot of my own speakers. Still considering if they were 4 times better than mine, price said they were. I'd say they were very good. The picture from that room was blurry, find one on the net. Very nice looking speakers, very musical. I'll keep them in mind, if all else fails maybe a special offer could convince me. Or used. At half price. Thereabouts.

Harbeth room. Not much to say. I wasn't superimpressed. They were nice.

2019-10-27%2012.35.05.jpg

Next time I went by this room, a bunch of old dudes from Hearing Aid Inc. sat there listening at 110+ dB. Some young guys who looked like they could rock out once in a while came in, said "Oh. It's really loud." and left. I was right behind them.

Next up:

2019-10-27%2012.55.44.jpg

See those little lumps? Those are Jern speakers, cast iron cabinet speakers, and was my biggest surprise. They sounded VERY good, huge soundstage. See the cast iron beach ball on the right? That's a sub, and everyone in the room had to go feel if it was connected. It wasn't. They are cheap too, although IMHO they did show some limitations at one track, someone wanted some bass heavy music; the dude put on something with female vocals and some deep bass (a la Massive Attack, although swedish I think), and they kind of lost it there. Other than that very impressive, and being a new company, certainly one to watch.

I'll end this here with a bunch of piccies, feel free to ask, but I probably can't say more than a line or maybe two on each of these:

Need bigger speakers:

2019-10-27%2012.17.07.jpg

Stage Accompany, their motto is "Mo' speaker, mo' house"

And:
2019-10-27%2012.25.21.jpg

Horny.

And:
2019-10-27%2012.38.23.jpg

Not an appliance for an industrial kitchen but speakers from Bayz Audio. Sounded really good. Sell your house and children, live under a bridge with these.

In all actuality, it is extremely simple:

I did not take a picture, again; find one on the net; what stole the show and my heart was DeVore Orangutan O/96. Now I need to win the lottery, go all Walter White, rob a bank or cash my pension. I could live with those. Nuff said.

Also, 2 weeks from my 50th birthday, nothing makes me feel old and young at the same time as telling my teen daugther I'm heading to my first hifi show, then spending the afternoon in the vortex of white middleage.

Next installment in a week+ when I'm going to hear Zu Audio DWs and Omens, and hopefully Neat Iota Alpha and Xplorer.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #52,570 of 152,787
Thanks, while Rosewill is not available locally in Singapore, this is assuring in that it confirms that I can indeed try a powered USB hub from a "proper" brand (I was trying unknown brands' previously). I am actually going to buy either one of the two models I see in the shops right now and test them since the USB capture card issue.is more urgent than expected. Will just use this chance to deal with this issue. :wink:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/usb-hub/uh700/

https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-402

Both appear to be excellent choices, although I am a big fan of TP-link. :wink:

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #52,572 of 152,787
Nah. I purchased the JJ tube from a separate vendor. For schiits-and-giggles, I removed the socketsaver-adapter-6SN7 and plugged in a stock tube shipped with my Valhalla 2 (the front 2, NOT the tall, rear, 'power-tubes'). I can't really tell the SQ difference with my rig. Ah well.:ksc75smile:

Part of the enjoyment for me is admiring the the glowing filaments on these tubes. I find it soothing in the evening or before dawn. The 6SN7's construction masks much of the heating filaments. In the Vali-2 rolling thread, users wax poetically about a tube design called the "mouse ears". :) Christ, if a vendor offered me a 6922-pinned tube with a plethora of swirling heater elements (that sounded just as good as Schiit's stock tubes), I'd snap it up.

I'm pleased Schiit's willing to sell JJ new-production tubes. I like that Slovakian glass. It'll keep my gear chugging along for years to come.

They look good. My office tends to get cold in the winter so the Vali 2 keeps it warmer. I like looking at the tube glow too.

Oct 27, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #52,573 of 152,787
Hey Tim

What I did the other day was a lot of copy-pasting. What I did today was perhaps slightly smarter: I selected the parts of your message that I wanted to react to, then there was a small hover-over with the options "+Quote"
and "Reply". In that I click "+Quote", and when I've thus selected various parts of your message, I go to the message-editor at the bottom and click "Insert quoted messages".

Then I start typing my replies in between the QUOTE-tags that have been inserted.
Yes it looks like you've figured it out! Thanks for going to the trouble!

It must have been like magic, but emotionally gratifying? I don't know.
It was the point that the question for perfect audio reproduction started though... Until that point, the concept of music-reproduction, or stored music, was literally unknown. You want to hear music? You go to a bar or concert-hall where they play it live, or hire some chamber-musicians to come to your estate to play it live for you. Or you learn to play an instrument yourself, like a piano...

When I was in my early 20's I was knocking around Europe with a backpack, which would be about 45 years ago now, with no music playback device of any kind (before Walkmans, almost hard to imagine now, like before electric lighting or something). But I was already a hard bit audiophile and of course I missed my system back home. There was a moment that made a lasting impression: this one evening I found a cafe in Athens that had courtyard seating. It was a gorgeous evening, with perfect balmy air and the famous feral kittens all over the place. As I settled in I heard music coming through some very average speakers, I guess the best I can say about them is they were clear if otherwise unremarkable, playing some Greek pop music if I recall. What really got my attention is I got swept up in the music as in a gen-u-wine (but no booze involved) aesthetic experience with goosebumps...the whole megillah. From that moment I've separated "involvement" with quality (of transduction), which may be a bit strange for an audiophile but it definitely did not cure me of audiophillia , but it may have made me less prone to the "nervosa" part of it...thank god for small favors :)

This experience also let me begin to separate quality and price, nowhere more extreme than in audio? Something we Schiit fanboys (and girls) appreciate.

It also helped me focus on the objective/subjective interface going forward, a work in progress as it's a very wiggly critter. But fascinating and it goes way beyond audio into almost everything (reading suggestion "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind"), but audio seems to me to be a nearly perfect vehicle for examination of this phenomena.

I'm still eagerly awaiting it. When I placed the order, the local distributor promised on the website "order within X hours and it will be shipped on Tuesday". But Tuesday came and Tuesday went and no notice yet that it has been shipped. Currently the order-status is "ready for shipping" so I'm hopeful for delivery tomorrow morning.
Oops, I missed quoting one of your comments, so I'll paste it below:
I listen music to enjoy the music, not for the perfect reproduction, but for high-quality, detailed, lively reproduction. I've owned headphones (and digital players) that made music sound... dead. Liveless.
I've owned headphones that made music dance and sing and come to live, highly enjoyable -- clear and with reasonable detail, what my then-sources would allow, but far from neutral (Denon AH-D600, loved them, regret selling them second-hand...).
What I'm looking for now is a system that will give me a high-quality reproduction, engaging, but lively, and moderately bass-rich. Not totally skewed towards bass, but just a bit of extra body in the lower regions -- that seems to bring the music more alive. At least, to our ears! :)

The system you're looking for sounds like the holy grail for me as well, probably for lots of music lovers :) Full range electrostats, horns, stand mount monitors, with/without subs, tubes, solid state (and more) it all can sound great but different, therein lies the fun.

I'll catch to your Bifrost 2 impressions in a minute, I bet you love it :)

Cheers!
Treecloud

Oct 27, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #52,575 of 152,787
Anyone bad-mouthing Marilyn Manson must not have listened to his work on a good system before. :)

You crack me up, Ableza!! :smiley:

Oh, wait. You're kidding, right?? :worried:

Seriously: To each their own. Not my thing*, but obviously there's something I'm missing as he has many fans. My dig was intended more for @bcowen since he is not shy about throwing barbs my way.

* I do enjoy the cut 'Happy Birthday, Mr. President ', however. :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back