Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 25, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #52,532 of 151,483
Asgard is not balanced, thus my choice.
I believe that a primary benefit of balance headphone connection is ensuring that the two drivers do not share a common (non-zero impedance) return line to the amplifier connection. Many TRS single-ended headphone cables have only three wires, so a signal on one channel creates an out-of-phase signal on the other channel. Better TRS cables will use a separate pair for each driver, with the grounds tied only at the amplifier-end TRS connector.

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #52,534 of 151,483
Ah. Thank you. I'm no longer confused. Embarrassed maybe. But both of those states will likely change soon enough.
Anybody seen my xxxmeds?xxx, I mean cold brew?

RAAL SR1a don't use a 1/4" headphone jack, so the Jotunheim R doesn't provide one.:confused:

Oct 26, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #52,537 of 151,483
Bingo. As Torq confirmed, the middle switch is baffle compensation for the SR1a, like the one baked into the speaker amp interface box. If there are other, more conventional, headphones in Raal/Requisite's future, you won't need the baffle compensation. So you can turn it off.

And the preamp outputs can be turned on or off with the third switch, to facilitate use for pros who may be using powered monitors. Unlike most of our preamp outputs, though, this one is simply a passive volume control; we didn't want to take the chance of someone connecting XLR to RCA adapters that may short one leg of the XLR to a stage capable of very very high current. Also notice that there is no 1/4" jack, and the 4-pin XLR is male, as per Raal standards.

A couple of other details that I've probably already covered: yes, this is a Nexus amp, like Ragnarok 2, and the one that Torq has also has a True Multibit card in it, but it takes the same cards as our other modular amps. Or no card.

Interesting, I didn't know there was a faux multibit. I'm thinking I may order my "R" with the True Multibit card. My Win 7 craptop will be 13 years old in January and I plan on replacing it with a W10 model. An opportunity for me to experiment with downloaded music for the first time in a minimalist rig; just the phones, the "R" and the PC, I think, will be all I need.

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #52,538 of 151,483
Interesting, I didn't know there was a faux multibit...

From the Bifrost 3 FAQ on the Schiit website:
I see you named your True Multibit architecture. What, was there a sale on trademarks or something?
No, we named it True Multibit™ because there’s a lot of confusion over what is really multibit and what isn't. Some companies refer to multilevel delta-sigma D/A converters (like the AK4490 used in the $99 Modi 3 and Fulla) as “Multibit” DACs. While kinda-sorta-maybe technically correct, this is pretty misleading. 2 to 5 bits of actual resolution plus massive amounts of noise shaping is not true multibit. Hence, True Multibit. We use True Multibit to denote DACs that have 16-20 actual bits, rather than multilevel noise-shaping delta-sigma DACs, coupled with our unique combination of time- and frequency-domain optimized digital filter, based on math first proposed by Western Electric in 1917, and developed into usable algorithms by a team that included a professor emeritus of math and a Rand Corp mathematician. It’s unlike any other digital filter today, and we believe it provides the closest thing to a true interpolation, while retaining the original samples as closely as possible.

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #52,539 of 151,483
And the preamp outputs can be turned on or off with the third switch, to facilitate use for pros who may be using powered monitors. Unlike most of our preamp outputs, though, this one is simply a passive volume control; we didn't want to take the chance of someone connecting XLR to RCA adapters that may short one leg of the XLR to a stage capable of very very high current. Also notice that there is no 1/4" jack, and the 4-pin XLR is male, as per Raal standards.

Why the original Jotunheim didn't have the preamp off switch?

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #52,540 of 151,483
I don't have an answer -- I just have the same question. I'm currently EITR'ing into a Modi Multibit too, and assume the EITR would become unnecessary (maybe even a downgrade?) from straight USB into the Bifrost 2?
+1.
Re: EITR-ModiMB pairing versus a Bifrost 2... I can feel my audio nervosa spiking. :triportsad: God, maybe they're commensurate? Dunno.

Before I pick up a Gungnir-MB... I'm still gung ho about another pair of headphones. According to the Steve Guttenberg, Audeze released the LCD-1 ... and apparently it's assembled in the states... and is on par with the other LCD cans. I still want that big, enclosed, LCD-XC sound. I'd like to think the LCD-1 will drive the other prices down (maybe?).:ksc75smile:

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #52,541 of 151,483
+1.
Re: EITR-ModiMB pairing versus a Bifrost 2... I can feel my audio nervosa spiking. :triportsad: God, maybe they're commensurate? Dunno.

Before I pick up a Gungnir-MB... I'm still gung ho about another pair of headphones. According to the Steve Guttenberg, Audeze released the LCD-1 ... and apparently it's assembled in the states... and is on par with the other LCD cans. I still want that big, enclosed, LCD-XC sound. I'd like to think the LCD-1 will drive the other prices down (maybe?).:ksc75smile:

Bifrost 2 w/ Unison for the win over Modi MB -> EITR, IMHO. More detail and bass slam, with a slightly wider soundstage and more natural decay and highs -- at least in my setup with my music and my ears. Of course YMMV.

Besides -- one can use EITR with BF2 if one felt the need, but why? Unison is fully galvanic(ally) isolated. Biforst 2 /w Uniso9n has a better USB controller chip and has essentially Gen 5/EITR isolation built-in. :p

(Of course if your "music" preferences leans towards 'Marilyn Manson' (@bcowen) -- then why even bother with a better DAC ... or Headphones ... or Amplifier ...) :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #52,542 of 151,483
A handful of products have been moved to "Last Call" on the Schiit website:

Wyrd, Asgard (2), Eitr, Jil

Get 'em while they last...
Magni SE.
Schiit Audio really did this with a local high school?! And yes, I can vividly imagine their Santa Clarita teachers going pale while the junior scientists chanted schiitschiitschiit. $79 is a nutty price. I don't need one... Perhaps I'll give one to my nephew back in BC... hmm.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #52,543 of 151,483
Bifrost 2 w/ Unison for the win over Modi MB -> EITR, IMHO More detail and bass slam, with a slightly wider soundstage in my setup. Of copurse YMMV.

Besides -- one can use EITR with BF2 if one felt the need, but why? Unison is fully galvanically isolated. It's a better USB controller chip with essentially an EITR built-in. :p
@Ripper2860 ... intriguing! Meh, I have my EITR and it'll be paired up with my first love -- ModiMB. So it appears the Mani, EITR, and Asgard 2 are on close-out.

BTW, I like the Frankensteining Schiit did with the Yggdrasil GS. It appears Audeze did the same last year (?) with their LCD MX4. (two links for the curious... yew-toob ... and CNET). I'm getting less and less spooked about paying about 3 grand (USD) for a pair of phones. It's open backed, so I won't be picking it up (right away). LCD-XC all the way baybee. :ksc75smile:

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #52,544 of 151,483
Oct 26, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #52,545 of 151,483
Yes -- the GS is VERY intriguing. I'm actually working towards buying a 2nd Bifrost 2 -- this one for my 2-channel rig. If I had not already bought one Bifrost 2 for my HP rig, I would likely have taken the $$$ for 2 of them and put it towards the (Not gonna call it Yggy) GS. The fact that I was impressed enough with Bifrost 2 to contemplate and likely procure another should say something about how I feel about Bifrost 2. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back