Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #52,411 of 149,673
Hi Treecloud,
Trying to figure out how to intersperse comment and reply to your post...hope this works...perhaps someone could clue me in :)

What I did the other day was a lot of copy-pasting. What I did today was perhaps slightly smarter: I selected the parts of your message that I wanted to react to, then there was a small hover-over with the options "+Quote"
and "Reply". In that I click "+Quote", and when I've thus selected various parts of your message, I go to the message-editor at the bottom and click "Insert quoted messages".

Then I start typing my replies in between the QUOTE-tags that have been inserted.

I wonder if the first people hearing Edison's gramophone were as emotionally gratified as we are listening to today's state of the art
It must have been like magic, but emotionally gratifying? I don't know.
It was the point that the question for perfect audio reproduction started though... Until that point, the concept of music-reproduction, or stored music, was literally unknown. You want to hear music? You go to a bar or concert-hall where they play it live, or hire some chamber-musicians to come to your estate to play it live for you. Or you learn to play an instrument yourself, like a piano...

I think of these euphonic distortions of measured linearity as compensatory. They enable "enhancement" of something that is otherwise not perfect, like salt on a steak.

I listen music to enjoy the music, not for the perfect reproduction, but for high-quality, detailed, lively reproduction. I've owned headphones (and digital players) that made music sound... dead. Liveless.
I've owned headphones that made music dance and sing and come to live, highly enjoyable -- clear and with reasonable detail, what my then-sources would allow, but far from neutral (Denon AH-D600, loved them, regret selling them second-hand...).
What I'm looking for now is a system that will give me a high-quality reproduction, engaging, but lively, and moderately bass-rich. Not totally skewed towards bass, but just a bit of extra body in the lower regions -- that seems to bring the music more alive. At least, to our ears! :)

I envy you getting Bifrost 2! It's what I would get if budget was not a current concern. Looking forward to your impressions.

I'm still eagerly awaiting it. When I placed the order, the local distributor promised on the website "order within X hours and it will be shipped on Tuesday". But Tuesday came and Tuesday went and no notice yet that it has been shipped. Currently the order-status is "ready for shipping" so I'm hopeful for delivery tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

--Tim :)

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #52,412 of 149,673
Argh. I really wanted a Jil to replace my Behringer.

So.

What are the chances we might get a Schiit version of the GAIN system Mike developed for Mobile Fidelity?

His current multibit DACs are designed essentially as the reverse of that system. It would be amazing if we had a multibit ADC to record our LPs, tapes, live shows, etc. with, then be able to play them back on a mirror image device.

Jil is dead.

Long live Jil 2!

Please?

Well, the good news is that some of the new Fulla/gaming products that are coming out "Real Soon Now" have a mic input/ADC built in. Granted it's not a mini-gain-1 reverse-multibit stage, but rather probably just some delta-sigma type implementation, but at at least it's a Schiit input. I'm tempted to get one to use as an audio in/out box for amateur radio through a computer/software defined radio (but that's a whole different hobby...)

Personally, given the occasional brushes with field/live recording I've had in my life, I've always dreamed of a Schiit box with phantom power and nice quiet microphone pre-amps, feeding a nice gain-style mutlibit ADC stage, oh yeah, and run the whole shebang on 6-12V DC/battery power in a small rugged portable box, but alas such a unicorn never existed.

At least I was able to snag one of the last Jils before they disappeared, That's a partial solution.

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #52,416 of 149,673
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #52,417 of 149,673
Damn damn damn.
Moving ate up all my disposable income. I really wanted a Jil. And now they're gone.
Bugger.
Still 3 pieces 230V versions of Jil left in stock at the Dutch distributor. Not the bargain price at € 195,00 + shipping. Add a 110V wall wart and you're on

Other option: Try Ebay in a year or so. :ksc75smile:
I think Darko has one on sale. Ebay lists a 230V Jil for sale out of Berlin. Only € 101,00

Attachments

• l_110v-50w.jpg
    l_110v-50w.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #52,418 of 149,673
Hey guys,

Yep, just to clarify:

1. Jil won't be coming back. It was a noble experiment, but it was also the slowest-selling product ever, with the exception of the original Loki DSD DAC.
2. Hel and Fulla 3 mic inputs won't be a replacement for Jil--they are for electret microphones, not line level stuff, and they're fixed 24/48 sampling with a midlevel AK5720 ADC--in other words, very nice for gaming or streaming or podcasting, but not anything amazing.

Sorry to dissappoint, but it's best to move on to other ADCs if that's what you're looking for, especially if you need phantom power or line input or both.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 23, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #52,422 of 149,673

Users who are viewing this thread

Back