Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 23, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #51,196 of 150,611
Definitely the shiny copper for my vote. I'd go with three posts too. One each side and one in the middle at the back, that's what I did for my racks., Will never wobble then.

This is just a mock up, the actual rack will have four supports since I will be using much bigger lumber, this just illustrates the look. There is a chance I may check out a Sol so I need more space and I want control over the construction of a cabinet so that the top is perfectly level and very solid.

This is pretty much a done deal, I will go with the patina, thanks for your input one and all!

Oh and I was kidding around with @bcowen, Bill is a wealth of information about tubes and audio in general and I take his advice seriously as long as it does not interfere with actual science. :ksc75smile:

Anyone who listened to the tubes I chose for the shootout will realize just how hard it is to tell one from another, Bill can do that with a high degree of accuracy.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #51,197 of 150,611
Hi all, have had my Bifrost 2 for one week now. Driven by an ultraRendu/LPS 1.2 it sounds fantastic. A definite improvement over the Bifrost MB Gen 5 it replaced. I'm hearing tighter/better defined bass and a soundstage much wider than before. Except for one issue I'm happy.

The issue is related to remote control. When I use the remote control for the Kozmo stepped attenuator in my preamp the Bifrost 2 immediately mutes its output and all 3 input LEDs blink simultaneously. A power cycle clears the problem. After several unsuccessful attempts to get the Bifrost 2 to cooperate, the only solution was to cover up the IR sensor on the front panel. So, basically I am unable to take advantage of the remote feature of the Bifrost 2.

Anybody with a similar experience? I wonder if there is a firmware update or something to allow my two remote controlled components to live together in the same audio rack.

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #51,198 of 150,611
Hi all, have had my Bifrost 2 for one week now. Driven by an ultraRendu/LPS 1.2 it sounds fantastic. A definite improvement over the Bifrost MB Gen 5 it replaced. I'm hearing tighter/better defined bass and a soundstage much wider than before. Except for one issue I'm happy.

The issue is related to remote control. When I use the remote control for the Kozmo stepped attenuator in my preamp the Bifrost 2 immediately mutes its output and all 3 input LEDs blink simultaneously. A power cycle clears the problem. After several unsuccessful attempts to get the Bifrost 2 to cooperate, the only solution was to cover up the IR sensor on the front panel. So, basically I am unable to take advantage of the remote feature of the Bifrost 2.

Anybody with a similar experience? I wonder if there is a firmware update or something to allow my two remote controlled components to live together in the same audio rack.

This is weird, the remotes should not be interacting in that way. Best we swap it out. Contact orders@schiit.com so we can do so.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 23, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #51,199 of 150,611
Actually, on confirming with @wgallupe that the remote is causing it, I'm going to have Dave look at it while he's working on the firmware. We may be able to take care of it on the firmware side.

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #51,200 of 150,611
Thanks Jason. Outstanding customer service!!!

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #51,201 of 150,611

This is weird, the remotes should not be interacting in that way. Best we swap it out. Contact orders@schiit.com so we can do so.

I've had this problem this same problem with a Sony bluray remote control. I have swapped the Bifrost out a few times and it has happened to every one of them.

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #51,202 of 150,611
I've had this problem this same problem with a Sony bluray remote control. I have swapped the Bifrost out a few times and it has happened to every one of them.

Hold on then, we're looking into it, and we will have a firmware update coming.

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #51,203 of 150,611
Funny story: something similar happened to a garage door of a neighbor a dentist. The neighbor never had problems but suddenly only during the day he had an open garage door without opening himself. After the door company studied the situation and checked with scan equipment they discovered that the chair of the dentist was also opening the garage door downstairs ...

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #51,204 of 150,611

here is a better representation of the two choices. I could add patina to the copper adapters on the one on the right, but if I go with that, I really think it makes the color pop and they start to look like little marble columns or at least faux marble.

Normally I solder the pipes but I will not in this case, I may use hot glue so I can change around the lengths of pipe to adjust the shelves in the future.Technically, once the screws are in place for the flanges, I doubt they would go anywhere even without glue.
I like the mix of both patina and polished copper! Just pops, really cool combo of black/copper/patina =) really beautiful combo!

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #51,205 of 150,611
My less extreme example of remotes affecting things are that I have an old HP media laptop (it is 10 years old now) that I use as HTPC with Kodi. When I bought it, I was pleased because it had HDMI out and a small remote control you could store in the laptop. After installing XBMC (which later turned into Kodi), I was pleased that the remote worked with that interface so I could have the laptop just in the system like another component.

It was not long though before I realized that this remote designed for a Microsoft Windows system also worked on the xbox, turning it on if the remote was pointed towards it.

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #51,206 of 150,611
I like the mix of both patina and polished copper! Just pops, really cool combo of black/copper/patina =) really beautiful combo!

I may have a Sol sitting on top to check out so I wanted something decent, I just hope it will fit on a shelf 16 inches deep, the platter itself should be right at 12 inches. My other turntables fit in that kind of space so a Sol may also.

I am considering making my own dust cover using cherry for three of the sides and some smoked plexiglass, a kitten shield.

finnegan.jpg

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #51,207 of 150,611
I may have a Sol sitting on top to check out so I wanted something decent, I just hope it will fit on a shelf 16 inches deep, the platter itself should be right at 12 inches. My other turntables fit in that kind of space so a Sol may also.

I am considering making my own dust cover using cherry for three of the sides and some smoked plexiglass, a kitten shield.

According to the Sol's specs on Schiit's website:

Dimensions: 16.5 x 14 x 6" (approximate, depends on orientation and settings).

You can maybe make it fit depending on how you orientate it.

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #51,208 of 150,611
According to the Sol's specs on Schiit's website:

Dimensions: 16.5 x 14 x 6" (approximate, depends on orientation and settings).

You can maybe make it fit depending on how you orientate it.

Thanks I started to look for that info and got sidetracked. I went with 16" x 24" for the top so I may be fine.

Sep 23, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #51,209 of 150,611

Cherry and hinged plexiglass sounds very attractive and functional. Full acrylic turntable covers cost about $300 (link). Turntables and cats generally don't mix so if you came up with a design that was attractive and easy to use you could start a side business selling them to Sol owners.

Sep 23, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #51,210 of 150,611
Thanks I started to look for that info and got sidetracked. I went with 16" x 24" for the top so I may be fine.

You should be fine, though there may be issues of how much clearance you have for that dust cover. I am sure you will figure it out though. I look forward to seeing pics of the final product with all of the equipment in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back