Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 22, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #51,181 of 150,820

here is a better representation of the two choices. I could add patina to the copper adapters on the one on the right, but if I go with that, I really think it makes the color pop and they start to look like little marble columns or at least faux marble.

Normally I solder the pipes but I will not in this case, I may use hot glue so I can change around the lengths of pipe to adjust the shelves in the future.Technically, once the screws are in place for the flanges, I doubt they would go anywhere even without glue.
The patina version looks very nice, particularly if you can patina the copper adapters.

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #51,182 of 150,820
I would patin the whole lot of copper.
Now there's too much variance which makes it sort of "kitsch".
The patina is beautiful. Do you have a recipe for the chemicals you used?
You could touch up the "old" look by rubbing black shoe shine over the patina.

I am leaning toward the patina.

I just use ammonia in a chamber and aquarium salt sprinkled on the copper as well as table salt with water in a spray bottle. Spray that first, sprinkle other salt. You use a rack inside the chamber. This happens over night.

I do this in an out building and avoid breathing the ammonia fumes much. Just a sealed plastic chamber works.

When you say “whole lot” of copper do you mean the copper joint as well as the pipe?

I can patina the copper adapters.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #51,184 of 150,820

here is a better representation of the two choices. I could add patina to the copper adapters on the one on the right, but if I go with that, I really think it makes the color pop and they start to look like little marble columns or at least faux marble.

Normally I solder the pipes but I will not in this case, I may use hot glue so I can change around the lengths of pipe to adjust the shelves in the future.Technically, once the screws are in place for the flanges, I doubt they would go anywhere even without glue.

Well with the new visual aid, I'm more in favor of the patina. But I agree with @Pietro Cozzi Tinin that if you could do the fittings as well that would be even cooler.

And here I go outside the box again, but the black flange plates are kind of, um, well, not un-ugly. :laughing: With cherry that thick, why not drill holes, buy the appropriate tap to thread them, and then screw the copper fitting directly into the wood? Some epoxy added to the threads as the fittings are screwed in would probably make it rock solid. I'm going back to my box now... :slight_smile:

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #51,185 of 150,820
Well with the new visual aid, I'm more in favor of the patina. But I agree with @Pietro Cozzi Tinin that if you could do the fittings as well that would be even cooler.

And here I go outside the box again, but the black flange plates are kind of, um, well, not un-ugly. :laughing: With cherry that thick, why not drill holes, buy the appropriate tap to thread them, and then screw the copper fitting directly into the wood? Some epoxy added to the threads as the fittings are screwed in would probably make it rock solid. I'm going back to my box now... :slight_smile:
That would undermine the steam punk effect.

Sep 22, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #51,186 of 150,820

I considered that but no, this is quicker, easier and allows for fast change out of pipes if I want to change shelf height; it is more steampunk.

Again the choices are shiny copper or patina. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #51,188 of 150,820
Sep 22, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #51,189 of 150,820

Definitely the shiny copper for my vote. I'd go with three posts too. One each side and one in the middle at the back, that's what I did for my racks., Will never wobble then.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #51,192 of 150,820
Man I was all in favor of the shiny copper, but that patina looks pretty cool. With silver I have to change my vote to patina.

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #51,193 of 150,820
Have you ever noticed how I only listen to some of your advice? I try to just walk away when you start talking about standing in the middle of a pentagram and sacrificing chickens and such for audio improvement.

Shoes, if you want to give me advice about shoes I will listen, maybe sandals, but that is it. When we were doing the Coaster amps Jason even used Sorbothane under the tubes as I recall instead of just laying them on the circuit boards. :ksc75smile: Come to think of it, I think Sorbothane was originally used inside shoes or some such, ok forget giving me advice on shoes. Ice cubes, I will let you tell me how to make a perfect round, clear ice cube.

Advice for shoes, eh?

I got a pair of Tricker’s boots and chuckas a couple of years ago, and I’ll be darned if they aren’t the best looking shoes I’ve ever had. Crockett & Jones Islay is on top of my want-list regarding shoes.

Having said that, Adidas Ultraboosts are out-of-this-world comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back