Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 11, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #50,732 of 152,806
Espresso machine related question: Anyone have recommendations on cleaning clogged portafilter basket holes?
Plain soap, hot water and blind pressure.
Then, an espresso machine needs cleaning at least once a day.
If you're not willing to do that, give it away and buy yours by the cup in a nice watering hole.

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #50,733 of 152,806
I never heard of the French vacuum cooking technique, but have never been to France :)
Actually it was from high profile chefs and restaurants in the US that much of the public gained awareness of sous vide cooking. Many restaurants in the US have sous vide machines in their kitchens. Heck, even the cafeteria at my workplace uses a sous vide machine to prepare soft boiled eggs. If you dine out much (especially at higher end restaurants) there's a good chance you've had dishes prepared using sous vide.

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #50,734 of 152,806
While I want the Bifrost2, $699 is a bit too rich for my blood atm. I am seriously hoping for a Unison true Multi-bit dac at right around the $299 price point soon (hopefully in the first half of 2020)
aim for the Gungnir MB (I am doing that for years now) then Bifrost2 is the little brother kicking the old-chap
Kind of made the decision to go for a pre-amp first

My TC electronics BMC-2 DAC is awsome, even has a volume control and remote too after a big upgrade to HD (by LC Audio of Denmark if you want to know) but I think the Freya S can do a better job with gain and in transferring my balanced signal to rca too. For the near future i hope to do this purchase, actually the first time i would have a proper pre amp. Investigated it many times and simply found them too much money; never could find one for less than 1200 euro. Let see what the future brings me, our rebuild is delayed in portuguese style, but the new electrical system has been installed but can’t hear it yet :) first things first and dreaming is for free!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #50,735 of 152,806
Makes me think of sending someone for a left handed cable stretcher; when your WD-1/TT wire just doesn't reach the TA-312.

Who knew there was actually a real tool called a cable stretcher.

ONECOL.jpg

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/park-tool-fourth-hand-cable-stretcher-with-locking-ratchet-bt-2

Measure one, cut twice.

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #50,736 of 152,806
Sep 11, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #50,738 of 152,806
Actually it was from high profile chefs and restaurants in the US that much of the public gained awareness of sous vide cooking. Many restaurants in the US have sous vide machines in their kitchens. Heck, even the cafeteria at my workplace uses a sous vide machine to prepare soft boiled eggs. If you dine out much (especially at higher end restaurants) there's a good chance you've had dishes prepared using sous vide.
Wow, check that out, I done been schooled - thanks! I do like soft boiled, and also fried, eggs LOL.
Maybe in San Francisco, but in Tennessee we like our meat burnt or smoked :)

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #50,739 of 152,806
Also sitting here listening to my cake station on Pandora, with a Fulla 2 and some new Koss KPH-30i's (only $20) and this set-up is kicking a$$! (Thanks Z Reviews!)
The Koss's handily beat my Sennheiser HD-598s in every category except comfort.
It's always a good day when a $20 headphone can elicit such happy emotion!
Imagine the possibly magical experiences that may await :)

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #50,740 of 152,806
It's always a good day when a $20 headphone can elicit such happy emotion!
Imagine the possibly magical experiences that may await :)
Just as costly HP's can be a big disappointment.
I have a pair of Grado's that even @HumanFly wouldn't take for free.....

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #50,741 of 152,806
I ordered these slightly more reasonably priced cone feet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PHM1MTG
Decided that I like the look of the clear ones after all:

20190911_130705.jpg

20190911_130643.jpg

The regular feet can be pulled out without damaging them, so I just put the cone ones in the same place as the regular feet. In hindsight I could have put them further out and hide the screws on the Bifrost 2 chassis...

They are very soft, I can wiggle the Jotunheim around quite a bit, but it's not a concern. Squishy amps are fun!
The feet did not all have quite the same length, I had to swap some around a few times to make sure there's no wobble. Luckily it seems like you can remove them and reattach them a few times without killing the adhesive right away.

Let's see whether this keeps things a bit cooler.

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #50,742 of 152,806
You can soak it in boiling water with some cafiza-powder, rub it down and throw it in the dishwasher afterwards.
Gets mine all shiny clean every time. Whatever you do don`t scrub it with abbrasives...you`ll enlarge the tiny holes and ruin the basket.
Thanks for the tip about not enlarging the holes. Was thinking about poking them with a strand of steel wire :frowning2:

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #50,743 of 152,806
Sep 11, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #50,744 of 152,806
wout31...

I have spent many hours searching for really great recorded and mastered demo material....October Road is a well produced example of good stuff out there....and the Unison interface really helps in enabling you to appreciate whats in a good Redbook recording.

Heres a link to something I started a few years back:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63936.0

Its full of really great recordings...over the years many folks have sent me their "demo" suggestions and some of those dear friends arent around anymore....and I appreciate their sharing and great music
with me and us all...

Enjoy!
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back