1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Paladin79
    Yeah, I did not think you created the original.

I hope it is accurate lol, some tubes have obviously been re-marked but the internals are right.

2. bcowen
    Sweet!!!!! Well, for a minute anyway:

upload_2019-9-11_18-55-6.png

LOL! I like the fact it can use 2A3's as well, which should be plenty enough for headphones. Kind of a 300B's baby brother, but good NOS ones are still available for much less than 300B's.

3. bcowen
    ROFL! But I only suit up like that for cleaning tube pins. :smile:

ScubaMan2017 and Darthpool like this.
  4. bcowen
    Great info on the cartridges!

Not sure about the hair net though if lipstick is required. :relaxed:

5. bcowen
    The Audiodharma in the flesh.

Cooker1.JPG

Comes with adapters for power cords, but you'll have to make your own for headphones depending on the cup termination. I made the one below for the Aeons -- Mr. Speakers is kind enough to sell both the female and male plugs of their somewhat unique connector at a very decent price. Not terribly pretty (the adapter, I mean) but it gets the job done.

Adapter.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    ScubaMan2017, Paladin79 and Alcophone like this.
  6. bcowen
    I can't tell you specifically why it works. But I suspect it has more to do with conditioning the dielectric than the wire itself. Just my opinion though. With some interconnects it makes a very audible improvement, and with some interconnects it doesn't make any difference at all that I can hear. Same thing with power cords. But if you want to blow your mind, cook a headphone cable. Or tonearm wires, especially if it's a captive cable (my Nottingham has one continuous run from the cartridge clips to the RCA jacks that plug into the preamp).

Paladin79 and FLTWS like this.
  7. tincanear
    Have you put a scope on the "output" and/or "input" connectors to see what the waveform looks like?

Continuous run from cartridge clips to RCA plugs is a good idea-- fewer connections means lower noise, but also one needs to be especially careful when connecting/disconnecting the preamp.

8. Derrick Swart
    vinagre

9. bcowen
    Nope.

10. loki993
    Did they raise the price on of the bifrost I remember it not being as expensive or have I made that up?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  11. tincanear
    Jason mentioned a couple of weeks ago that they found a number of Asgard 2 ??? and Bifrost (1) circuit boards (but didn't have enclosures on hand) and was considering doing a limited run of casework to use those up (possibly in black, too). Might want to follow up with him if you are interested. Not sure if those would be 4490 D/S or True Multibit (tm). Maybe they would be available without USB module (gen 5 is listed as "backordered" ???) for lower initial cost, then you could DIY (or have a "qualified technician") install the Unison USB module when it becomes available. there's a you tube video showing how to disassemble / reassemble Bifrost (1), especially the front panel LED's.

12. Timster
    That too :)

13. Roy G. Biv
    I realize there are other places on Head-Fi to post this but I've been smiling for a week listening to this. CD arrived today and sounds great thru Modi-Multibit. A complete and very welcome surprise. Available on Qobuz, Spotify and others. Enjoy.

Chrissie Hynde_Valve Bone Woe.jpg

14. Ripper2860
    I've been listening to it on Tidal for the last couple of days. Very nice!!

15. earnmyturns
    Sonic is the Schiit of ISPs in Northern California. We've been struggling for a month with repeated interruptions of Xfinity/Comcast internet in our new house. Xfinity gave us the run-around ("the problem is your WiFi" and other customer defection tactics, wasting us many hours) until I went on Twitter (I have a bit of a following in tech circles) last weekend. Suddenly they were all sweetness and light, sent techs twice, still no fix. Ordered Sonic late last week, it's just DSL (AT&T hardware) but it works. I configured my Ubiquiti router with two WANs, failover from Xfinity to Sonic, at long last we have usable net at home. I'd like to have the faster Xfinity speed, at least until Sonic gets fiber to my neighborhood, but it's a breath of fresh air to have an ISP that do what they say.

Mike-WI likes this.