Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 30, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #49,921 of 150,246
Ack! At a certain point these competing nicknames and acronyms become more confusing than useful. A couple of posts back someone was talking about NOS and I was confused about how New Old Stock applied in Sciitts case. a

If the person has used Non Over Sampling the first time they mentioned it, I would have been fine, but just assuming I knew what they meant by NOS (or Mambo or Bambu or whatever) was confusing, not helpful.
As seen on a T-Shirt: What Would Elon Do?
From time to time, Musk will send out an e-mail to the entire company to enforce a new policy or let them know about something that's bothering him. One of the more famous e-mails arrived in May 2010 with the subject line: Acronyms Seriously Suck:

There is a creeping tendency to use made up acronyms at SpaceX. Excessive use of made up acronyms is a significant impediment to communication and keeping communication good as we grow is incredibly important. Individually, a few acronyms here and there may not seem so bad, but if a thousand people are making these up, over time the result will be a huge glossary that we have to issue to new employees. No one can actually remember all these acronyms and people don't want to seem dumb in a meeting, so they just sit there in ignorance. This is particularly tough on new employees.

That needs to stop immediately or I will take drastic action - I have given enough warning over the years. Unless an acronym is approved by me, it should not enter the SpaceX glossary. If there is an existing acronym that cannot reasonably be justified, it should be eliminated, as I have requested in the past.

For example, there should be not "HTS" [horizontal test stand] or "VTS" [vertical test stand] designations for test stands. Those are particularly dumb, as they contain unnecessary words. A "stand" at our test site is obviously a test stand. VTS-3 is four syllables compared with "Tripod", which is two, so the bloody acronym version actually takes longer to say than the name!

The key test for an acronym is to ask whether it helps or hurts communication. An acronym that most engineers outside of SpaceX already know, such as GUI, is fine to use. It is also ok to make up a few acronyms/contractions every now and again, assuming I have approved them, e.g. MVac and M9 instead of Merlin 1C-Vacuum or Merlin 1C-Sea Level, but those need to be kept to a minimum.
(https://gist.github.com/klaaspieter/12cd68f54bb71a3940eae5cdd4ea1764)

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #49,922 of 150,246
Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #49,925 of 150,246
A couple of months ago I switched jobs and now work in a project that will result to the world’s first final repository for nuclear waste. I have to say that I’m still a bit lost with all the acronyms that pop up everywhere.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #49,926 of 150,246
$33.98 vs. $47.89 on Digikey, or $26.76 vs. $38.80 if you buy 100, so $24.08 more per Bifrost 2 for Schiit. I know it's too much trouble to offer two variants, but I would have paid $50 more for the BRUZ version for sure. :)

I get it. However, you add $50 and you're at the price of the delta-sigma Gungnir. I suspect they wanted to keep below that point. Besides, while Schiit has shown a willingness to cannibalize their products in the past, keeping the A variant in the Bifrost 2 and leaving the B to Gungnir results in a more logical overall product mix, considering their whole line of DACs.

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #49,927 of 150,246
I'm just in time for a DAC/AMP upgrade, and am now seriously considering the Asgard 3.

Anyone know where I can find some discussion / reviews of the differences between the two DAC options (4490 vs the Multibit)?

Thanks!

Edit: once I got my search parameters right, I found a lot of opinions across the forums. Seems like multibit is the way to go, according to the wisdom of this crowd...

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #49,929 of 150,246
True, it is actually the "loud sounding horn." But then we'd have to do speakers. Shudder.

Let us get through one painful mechanical product first (Sol) and ship that for at least, well, maybe 5 or 10 or 50 years before we consider speakers, and then NOT consider speakers.

I don't mind helping with the website corrections either (I PM'd though to keep the thread clean), a large part of my job is reviewing new policies or doctrine so I automatically do it when I read anyway.

Since you used to build speakers (prior to Schiit), I'd be very interested to hear what you think makes a good speaker design and the way you view the tradeoffs of different features. I figure you will not make any specific brand/model recommendations and that is fine.

I'm in the market for some high efficiency speakers for music....

If you did bite the bullet and build speakers again I'd be very interested. Gjallarhorn would be an awesome name for it.

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #49,930 of 150,246
Two new products, yet neither will spin silver discs nor grind coffee properly.

The former is of far more interest to me.

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #49,931 of 150,246
Two new products, yet neither will spin silver discs nor grind coffee properly.

The former is of far more interest to me.
Though, judging by Jason's and Oveja Negra's stories, I wouldn't be surprised if an Asgard had been used as a coffee grinder at least once.

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #49,932 of 150,246
Thank you for the reply! Useful impressions re: the dynamics.

I see that there are a lot of mods out there for the Quads, and of course the capacitors are all 40 years old now (with a service life of 10 years...). Updates may help with that, and other shortcomings.

I don't run balanced, so the monobloc restrictions of Vidars weren't a concern - it's the 100W of Quad vs 100W of Schiit vs the 50W of Meitner.

I was a bass player so bass matters to me. As I said originally, though, my priorities are human voice then soundstage then bass. That being said, you tell me how a loudspeaker manufacturer can meaningfully give you measurements of "percentage of distortion of the mids". I would be curious as to how they would comparably measure that so you could use it with your KEF vs Dynaco reviews.

As for the 26 Hz being totally non relevant, I cannot agree. If a speaker is rated to play within spec down to 50 Hz and another speaker is rated to play down to 30 Hz within the same specs, I would expect the latter speaker to reproduce the sound of a bass guitar more authentically than the former. That's what those measurements are trying to do.

You are of course correct about how the numbers relate to the real world. Of course! But that is not the intent: it's fallout from the car stereo wars of the 70s. The measurements are intended to provide a crude comparison between competing components, not between said components and the original sound.

For me, tiny speakers and a subwoofer do not do the same job as a pair of full(er) range speakers that reach down. The sub/satellite combo lacks authenticity and gravitas. For me.

My speakers are capable of astonishing feats of sound reproduction within those criteria I value. Finding good power amp(s) for them is A Good Thing.

Thanks for your observations.

Cheers!

Subs,

You could try 2 Subs located next to the speaker stands. I get the tight lower mid, upper lows (cross over area) I normally hear in good full range but better bass extension of the sub and the quicker, smoother, tighter mid and lower mid of the smaller bass/mid driver. For me, most full range 3 ways cross over too high past the point the bass driver sounding good. A full range that had the bass of my set up was considerably more expensive and out of my budget as well. I have Paradigm Studio 20s and a pair of Definitive Technology’s Pro Subs 10s and very happy with the set up. Pro Subs 12s would have been better but out of my budget. Budget 15” Subs were way too sloppy.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #49,933 of 150,246
Everytime I would prefer a good CD recording over anything else. I just said higher bit rate CAN be heard.
OK. Now music.
Yesterday I heard a 1960s recording of Deutsche Grammophon, Pierre Fournier performing Cello Suite No1 in G major, from Bach. I was astonished, I really loved the recording and the performance. It is 44.1/16, and I streamed it from my nas. So, I would have some headroom once I bought the CD and a Schiit Disk Spinner. But I didn't miss anything, a big recommendation! (I love Cello Suites)

Thanks for this recommendation. I never thought I would be a fan of cello suites (I'm a rock and roll guy originally), but found out about the Bach Cello suites from an old NPR story about a great day in music history when Casals was recording the Bach suites at Abbey Road on the same day when Robert Johnson was recording his influential blues tracks (and fueling the whole crossroads theory).

So I started with the Casals recordings. I was pleasantly suprised by the Yo-Yo-Ma recordings. I remember making fun of him back in my mindless rock-n-roll days, but now his version of Bach's Cello Suite 1 is one of my test tracks. It sounds especially good on a multi-bit DAC (bifrost multibit) through a tube amp (Vali-2) into nice headphones.

So yeah, someone taught this phillistine to appreciate cello suites :wink: Thanks to your recomendation, I've now ordered a copy of the Fournier recordings.

EDIT: kill the nicknames

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #49,934 of 150,246
Thanks for this recommendation. I never thought I would be a fan of cello suites (I'm a rock and roll guy originally), but found out about the Bach Cello suites from an old NPR story about a great day in music history when Casals was recording the Bach suites at Abbey Road on the same day when Robert Johnson was recording his influential blues tracks (and fueling the whole crossroads theory).

So I started with the Casals recordings. I was pleasantly suprised by the Yo-Yo-Ma recordings. I remember making fun of him back in my mindless rock-n-roll days, but now his version of Bach's Cello Suite 1 is one of my test tracks. It sounds especially good on a multi-bit DAC (bimby) through a tube amp (Vali-2) into nice headphones.

So yeah, someone taught this phillistine to appreciate cello suites :wink: Thanks to your recomendation, I've now ordered a copy of the Fournier recordings.

A friend's dad lent me his copy of the Deuschte Grammophon release of Casals' recordings of the cello suites. While they sound good, tonight I am going to clean the vinyl and tomorrow I am going to record them to reel to reel so I can keep a copy. I might wind up buying a vinyl copy myself eventually (it is on the ever growing list of things to buy).

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #49,935 of 150,246
I for one really value the silver finish. I'm likely to purchase one of these fairly soon and I'm glad I can get it in silver. I find it a much more pleasing aesthetic than black or gray.

+1, I love the silver finish, it goes very well together with my MacBook :D

Black is also nice, but what I don’t like about it is that the buttons/knobs are still silver. They should be black too, that would make them look great instead of just nice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back