Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 19, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #48,468 of 150,081
lZmezZw.jpg

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #48,470 of 150,081
So all this talk of buying Schiit....

Its been awhile, so how do you buy Schiit? I think they use paypal to run the credit cards. Can I use money in my PayPal account or just credit card?

Very interesting... Now that they accept PayPal, those with PayPal credit can get six months no interest in purchases over 99 dollars.

This must be done directly between PayPal and the buyer. It must look like a normal PayPal transaction to Schiit. Very interesting indeed..

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #48,471 of 150,081
So all this talk of buying Schiit....

Its been awhile, so how do you buy Schiit? I think they use paypal to run the credit cards. Can I use money in my PayPal account or just credit card?
You can just enter your credit card information directly, no need for PayPal.

Screenshot_20190719-201926_Chrome.jpg

Looks like when you use PayPal, you need a PayPal account. With many other sites that use PayPal, you can use it to pay with a credit card without creating an account. Either way, PayPal should let you use your funds, or a credit card, or a bank account, they don't really care.

Jul 20, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #48,472 of 150,081
Hmmmm. Wonder why that would be? Maybe some down-sampling that wasn't done so well, for some of the versions.
Aside from the lack of distortion on the 24/96, any other notable difference?

I can't readily tell the difference between the Spotify & Tidal versions.
I probably went a bit overboard with this, but... here's an analysis of the three files, 44 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz. All captured digitally at 24 bits, of course the first file is technically 16 bits. Analysis done in Acon Acoustica 7.

(Part 1 of 3)

The "Just a little lovin" part, distortion in "lov":

1_wave_jall_1.png

1_wave_jall_2.png

1_wave_jall_3.png

Complete wave forms:

2_wave_1.png

2_wave_2.png

2_wave_3.png

Statistics:

3_statistics_1.png

3_statistics_2.png

3_statistics_3.png

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #48,475 of 150,081
I probably went a bit overboard with this, but... here's an analysis of the three files, 44 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz. All captured digitally at 24 bits, of course the first file is technically 16 bits. Analysis done in Acon Acoustica 7.

Looks like the 44.1 file is clipping, so if the "original" or "master" is the 96 or 192 file, then the 44.1 maybe is suffering from a poor transfer or down-sample. The levels are clearly higher, and clipped.

Thanks for the detail, amazing!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #48,476 of 150,081
Not sure it was clear from my last post... but here it is more concise: Upgrade from DS DAC to Modi Multibit for me had roughly the same jump in quality like the upgrade from Modi Multibit to Yggdrasil. So at 250/300 $/€ Modi Multibit is a steal. It introduces actual physical texture to music. With my current knowledge, if I didn’t have the expendable cash for Yggy, I’d be perfectly happy with MM. Everyone should try Schiit Multibit®. (liking it is to each it’s own). :beerchug:

I couldn't agree more. I am super happy now I have upgraded my Jotunheim from Delta-Sigma to Multibit. The step up in real-ness of the sound is way more than you would expect based on the price difference. For me it is an experience similar to what I had about 15 years ago when I upgraded from the best Arcam CD-player to the cheapest Wadia (the 830). And that Schiit has made this level of quality possible at this low price point (talking about Jotunheim MB and Modi MB now) is incredible.

Jul 20, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #48,477 of 150,081
According to Adobe Audition there are 3 clipping points in the 24 bit track.
One is indeed at 3.03 as you can see in the file scan result.
This is the 24/96 Qobuz file download.
The 16/44.1 reads zero clipping.

declipper.png

Attachments

• musicscope.png
    musicscope.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
  • peak2.png
    peak2.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 0
Jul 20, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #48,478 of 150,081
According to Adobe Audition there are 3 clipping points in the 24 bit track.
One is indeed at 3.03 as you can see in the file scan result.
This is the 24/96 Qobuz file download.
The 16/44.1 reads zero clipping.

I streamed the files, converted them to coax S/PDIF, then recorded that with a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen. I did each sample rate twice, and captured the exact same bits twice per sample rate, so I think that's a bit perfect capture of whatever Qobuz produces.

Today I bought the two versions available for download (16/44 and 24/96 - 24/192 can only be streamed, apparently) and... at least the 16/44 versions are very different.

Top: Streaming version
Bottom: Download version

The "Just a little lovin" part

1_wave_jall_1.png
1_wave_jall_4.png

Entire file

2_wave_1.png
2_wave_4.png

Statistics

3_statistics_1.png
3_statistics_4.png

Declipper (streaming version only, no issues found for download version)

8_declipper_1.png

The 24/96 versions don't have exactly the same bits (not sure why, could be the app, could be something else), but look practically identical otherwise, so I won't show more for them.

Jul 21, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #48,480 of 150,081
I streamed the files, converted them to coax S/PDIF, then recorded that with a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen. I did each sample rate twice, and captured the exact same bits twice per sample rate, so I think that's a bit perfect capture of whatever Qobuz produces.
Such a huge difference between stream and download.
What is the jitter and packet loss percentage on your internet connection?
Stream is UDP against TCP/IP with check and resent of lost packages for download.
Do you use a VST/AU plugin to capture streaming track.,
Just some ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back