1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    About Toslink:

2. Varejao17
    TOSLINK also helps eliminate any ground loops. Fwiw, I use the TOSLINK out from my TV to get sound to my system, as that is the only way to have both the internal speakers and outputs active at the same time on my particular TV. Sometimes I use the tv speakers for things like sporting events or other programming where sound quality doesn’t matter to me.

albanyco likes this.
  3. audionics
    OMG!

And I thought TosLink was one of the least desirable formats due to jitter...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    ScubaMan2017, Varejao17 and Ableza like this.
  4. Mediahound
    @Jason Stoddard Regarding the USPS not making their pick ups for you- have you ever considered it could be your business name? Someone at the local hub may see the pick up request and assume that it’s a prank.

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine who lives on a street called Zoolander and the shipping carriers literally thought it was a joke.

artur9, ScubaMan2017 and Varejao17 like this.
  5. audionics
    I hope that is not the Unison USB interface and delay it more,

As I understand now will Schiit delay introduction of Unison USB until after EOL of Win 7?

That is too long a wait!

I want to order a Unison USB Yggdrasil YESTERDAY!

MatthiasP and leonthebumme like this.
  6. Ableza
    Yes, the most important aspect and one he completely glosses over int eh video.

7. Varejao17
    I make no claim as to the quality of TV sound in my system. :)

ScubaMan2017 and RCBinTN like this.
  8. albanyco
    I do the sam thing with the tv setup in our living room. TOSLINK to the sound bar for a level of ‘ease-of-use’ that meets the wife’s approval. She can use the tv remote to control the volume without having to fiddle with source settings, etc. She’s rarely as concerned with the sound quality as I am, anyway.

9. wout31
    In my setup the Toshiba link always sounds the worst. Has a bit of a "metallic" sound to it. But hey that's just me. I stick with the Sony Philips interface for now. That is, until Unison USB will become available.

RCBinTN and Ableza like this.
  10. Alcophone
    Doubly so, since noise on coax cables can result in jitter, which may be audible depending on the severity and DAC (I theorize). But he basically says that as long it's not so bad that the bits don't arrive intact, it's not an issue at all, and so doesn't see this as a relevant disadvantage compared to TOSLINK.

11. ScubaMan2017
    Still jet-lagged... and glad to be back home (screwed up flights ended up me flying from Gatwick, to Calgary, and then back to Toronto). Anyway, as I catch up with the threads, I stumbled across this episode of the Audiophiliac...

...I find it interesting. As I continue enjoying this hobby, I find myself getting caught up in the “pure sound”... all-analog... all-digital conflict. Which do I prefer in my music? I want a discrete answer. ... ... ... and I know that’s impossible! :ksc75smile:

liamo likes this.
  12. Balthazar B
    33na3rd, liamo, RCBinTN and 3 others like this.
  13. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    I posted the link because as I interpreted it he is quit clear about the less than good quality of the Toslink.

14. Maishar
    @Jason Stoddard In chapter 11, you wrote:
    Thus, IMHO I think you should drop the 32-bit in the Bitfrost description: "Featuring the 32-bit AKM Verita® AK4490 D/A". Just saying.

Also, any update on the unison USB? will it also be available in the module DACs as well?

thebmc likes this.
  15. wout31
    Why should they drop it? The AKM can handle 32 bit, but it can only reveal a max of 21 bit of music information, as explained by @Jason Stoddard.
    https://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK4490EQ.pdf

audio philestine and Gazny like this.