Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 18, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #48,451 of 151,506
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #48,452 of 151,506
Jul 18, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #48,454 of 151,506
@Jason Stoddard Eagerly awaiting with baited breath for some news, any news for new Schiit products....Come on man, give us the goods!!! lol
Really? They launched like 5 products in just a few weeks!

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #48,455 of 151,506
Yep, love me some Rag 2 and Thunderdome preamps, but that was a while ago now. was hoping for some Sol, unison, or some of the other secretive items from Darko interview's past type news. Just getting antsy, I guess

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #48,456 of 151,506
Do this jigsaw puzzle while you're waiting:

jigsaw.png

JC

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #48,457 of 151,506
Yep, love me some Rag 2 and Thunderdome preamps, but that was a while ago now. was hoping for some Sol, unison, or some of the other secretive items from Darko interview's past type news. Just getting antsy, I guess

Pensive...I know the feeling. What great and wonderful new Schiit is about to come out, and how will it impact my life. The stress is tremendous.

I wonder if I should cut back on my coffee, oops this is the wrong thread for coffee...:ksc75smile:

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #48,458 of 151,506
D9590D3C-2BF2-442F-A4D2-C69E9D57AD7C.jpeg On the topic of streamers, I put my new Allo Digione up by the bedside, replacing an Airport Express which got moved to a better location for extending my wireless throughout the house. I may not leave the Pi on top of the Mimby, just in case there is RF interference. I don’t hear any, like I can if my Mojo is strapped to an iPhone, but might move it anyway.

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #48,459 of 151,506
Wouldn't it be nice to spend between 600-1200 on a nice DAC that has a remote for volume control, and a couple of inputs and outputs? All in one box.
You can buy such a thing, but not from Schiit. Nice DAC (see sig for my work system), but it has a different sound signature, smoother, a little less dynamic, but very detailed than the Schiit multibit DACs.

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #48,460 of 151,506
This is late, but here’s my rant about shipping.

To start, I want to say that I don’t personally get what’s so terrible about price-inclusive shipping.

Sure, I get why it’s not quite right to call it “free” shipping. But I don’t know if that’s really fooling anyone. It’s not like I see “free shipping” and think, gee whiz, sure is nice of them to cover the cost for me. I just see it and think, okay cool, that’s one less fee to add before I figure out how much I really have to pay.

When there’s extra steps to find the final price, it’s less convenient. On Schiit’s website for instance, you have to add the product to the cart and then put in your zipcode to get the shipping rate, then do a bit of simple math. I know it’s not that bad but it’s an extra step.

I feel the same way about tax. Some websites give you the tax estimate in the cart when you put in your zipcode but others make you go almost all the way through the checkout process. Of course, you could just bust out a calculator and punch in the numbers yourself, but again, the point is that you have to do work to find the real price.

Taking Schiit as an example… when you go to a product page, Modi for instance, and see $99… no one can actually get a Modi for that price. You might be located outside of CA and therefore not have to pay tax on it depending on your state’s online ordering laws, but you’ll have to pay some amount of shipping. Alternatively, you might live close enough to pick up the product at the Schiitr and avoid paying for shipping, but then obviously you have to pay CA tax. Depending on where you live, you have to pay both. The only way to know for sure the exact price for what you want is to put everything in the cart and get through at least the shipping/billing address portion of checkout. Then it shows you the final price including any shipping or tax before you put in your credit card info.

Now, I’m definitely not calling Schiit dishonest in any way here. But I also wouldn’t go so far as to say they are more honest in this particular regard than most retailers; More transparent perhaps, because you can see exactly what portion of the price you are paying is for shipping.

Another aspect is that websites that offer “free” shipping are also somewhat socializing shipping costs. Shipping a particular product to different locations costs a different amount, but if you bake in the average cost and call it free, some people are overpaying and others are underpaying. From a purely personal standpoint, this doesn’t bother me. I can see why it would bother some people though. I just think that if everything was like this, sometimes you’d lose, sometimes you’d win, and it would end up being about the same throughout the course of your life. Now, I understand this is something relatively easy to do for a large corporation but not easy for a small company, so I would not hold that against those companies. As such, I’m perfectly happy with Schiit’s shipping practices. But I don’t dislike other companies who do it differently, namely by including “free shipping.”

I guess the “ideal” system would be something that shows you, as quickly and easily as possible, the final price of an item, including a breakdown of how much comes from tax and shipping. But doing that would require coding a more complicated website and showing higher prices to consumers. But that in my opinion would be more honest. (This is also further complicated by the fact that shipping costs change depending on how many items you order at once, but this post is already about 4x longer than it needs to be).

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #48,461 of 151,506
I find the process of ordering from Schiit to be quick and easy. The fact that tax and shipping are added to the cost of the product in 2 additional steps takes only 1 more minute. Once the order is placed, I will not have the product for 2 or 3 days, so why should I be bothered about a minute?

"But that in my opinion would be more honest."

I do not understand what is not honest about the ordering/pricing process. Each step is clarified, nothing is hidden. Perhaps you meant the word "simple" instead of "honest."

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #48,462 of 151,506
I think not honest or dishonest is a poor choice of words. Pricing is either honest or it isn't. Saying one way is "more honest" implies the other ways are not honest or dishonest

I would say their pricing doesn't show all in cost, all costs are not shown up front. But I'm ok with it. If they include shipping on a per item basis you pay more, the more items you buy. This way the more you buy the less you pay in shipping. As a percentage of cost.

Maybe a better way to do it would be indicate " + shipping " behind the price on each item. That's more direct.

Edit, just price out a modi/Magni on Amazon vs schiit.com.

Save 20 bucks by buying from Schiit.com, tax on Amazon excluded from this example.

Although, if you buy from Amazon you get their much better return policy.... I wonder how many of the Magnis on b stock are amazon returns.

Edited to better articulate my thoughts on honest.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #48,463 of 151,506
@Rensek and @Seret

I never called Schiit's ordering system dishonest (I was afraid some would take my post this way). I was saying that I don't find it more honest than other retailers, including those that offer "free shipping," as that was the discussion being had. It is, as I said, perhaps more transparent (and less socialized), but not in ways that matter to me personally. I think people that like "free shipping" do so not because they are actually fooled into thinking they are not paying for shipping, but because they don't like having a fee added to the price they are seeing advertised.

In the end, you might think it's better to let the consumer know how much the shipping factors into the cost of their order by adding it in the checkout process, or you might think it's better to socialize that cost in order to advertise a price that's closer to what they will actually pay in the end. Tomato Tomato. My conclusion in my post was that companies should do what works best for them. So I explicitly don't have a problem with Schiit doing things the way they do.

My last paragraph was just speculating about how to try and get the best of both worlds (for the consumer), by having all the costs (including tax) broken down and as easily accessible as possible, like directly on the product page, or perhaps in the cart with just a zipcode instead of having to put in the whole address. Funnily enough, this suggestion is similar to what Jason joked about when he posted the image of a Magni on the site with a "shipping-inclusive" price dropdown.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #48,464 of 151,506
You can buy such a thing, but not from Schiit. Nice DAC (see sig for my work system), but it has a different sound signature, smoother, a little less dynamic, but very detailed than the Schiit multibit DACs.

Yeah, thanks, I know. I'm just wishing Schiit would do it. I like my stuff to match, and as the owner of 6 pieces of Schiit gear, I'd like to buy matching stuff. I'm already committed to the company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back