Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 28, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #47,926 of 149,803
Hey you awesome bunch of people, I have this question always, could not get an answer. I have a Yggdrasil ana 2 DAC, I use a 550 WPC beefy amp to go with a KEF LS50. Now my system is too bulky and I wanna make it small and easy to move. I wanna sell my preamp and amp and buy a Ragnarok. I get an amazing headphone amp too. I don't need any preamp. Now, does anyone here has experience with this combo so you can describe the sound? In my mind reducing the power by 1/5 will lose the punch and the timbre in the mids. I use external subwoofers for bass. Please write about your experience in this combo.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #47,927 of 149,803
@Jason Stoddard
I think your idea of a "No Stupid Questions" series is a good one. I have seen some things similar but they almost always are too long, sound condescending, or assume too much, so the approach needs to be carefully written.

When people ask me things like "how can I get started" or "how can I pick out some (speakers, headphones, system) to listen to" I always begin with two questions: what's your favorite music, and what do you want to do while you listen to it?

I guess it's an age thing. I hate all those video reviews and explanations, because I want to be able to skip parts while still glance what I am skipping. And I want to be able to page through the contents of the review or whatever it is. But apparently younger people must love them, otherwise they wouldn't be so ubiquitous.

About carefully written, leave that to the marketeer Jason.

Jun 28, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #47,928 of 149,803
Hey you awesome bunch of people, I have this question always, could not get an answer. I have a Yggdrasil ana 2 DAC, I use a 550 WPC beefy amp to go with a KEF LS50. Now my system is too bulky and I wanna make it small and easy to move. I wanna sell my preamp and amp and buy a Ragnarok. I get an amazing headphone amp too. I don't need any preamp. Now, does anyone here has experience with this combo so you can describe the sound? In my mind reducing the power by 1/5 will lose the punch and the timbre in the mids. I use external subwoofers for bass. Please write about your experience in this combo.
It's a fantastic combination.

Jun 28, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #47,929 of 149,803
I am not very good at comparative descriptors, but one of my office setups is:
Laptop (Spotify/Qobuz/JRiver) -> Yggy v2 -> Ragnarok v1 -> KEF LS50

From nearfield (= distance to monitor) my Rag volume is around noon position.
I'm not in a situation to blast it, but the nearfield audio and headphone audio is amazing.
Very crisp, clean. I haven't experimented with many other amps except a cheap FiiO class D amp, which was okay but wasn't as articulate as current setup.

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #47,933 of 149,803
Learn the Freya RC a few tricks to control some other gear.
Ah. I don't think that's possible. The opposite is, i.e. get a programmable universal remote to control the Freya and then some. Don't know if you're into that or whether you want to hold on to that smaller aluminium remote.

Jun 29, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #47,934 of 149,803
It's that small beautiful remote indeed. I searched the internet for small programmable remotes but get a lot of crap.
I need a small beautiful rc with two buttons. No more. A few more is no problem.
I dropped the question at Schiit via email and now start praying.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #47,940 of 149,803
Any review of Ragnarok 2 yet? Any idea how it stacks vs v1, or vs Freya S/Aegir? I smell like everyone having it is already collected by Valkyries.

Mine will hopefully arrive tomorrow. But don‘t expect any comparisons since I do not own any of the mentioned gear or had the chance to listen to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back