Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #47,896 of 149,312
I partially agree. My post was in response to Jason's about making it easier. They make value judgements on the voicing of the components, they could make value judgements on headphones for those not into audio who want good sound.

Its taken me a decade of swapping components in and out for my stereo. Joe internet somebody is looking for a quick sounds good.

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #47,898 of 149,312
I partially agree. My post was in response to Jason's about making it easier. They make value judgments on the voicing of the components, they could make value judgments on headphones for those, not into audio who want good sound.

It's taken me a decade of swapping components in and out for my stereo. Joe internet somebody is looking for quick sounds good.
I don't think Jason or anyone from a single manufacturer needs to be recommending any component they are not making.
If we read the pages on their site, they clearly state that they neither endorse or criticize competition. That is a good policy. They can concentrate on what they made, and make the improvements needed, without chasing any other company.
MQA, DSD, and Streaming are topics which they have either said they were not interested in producing, and it was not necessary to diminish any products that have chosen that path.
Plenty of free advice in other forums, and for my two cents, the Sennheiser 6XX pair well with Valhalla 2.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #47,900 of 149,312
@Jason Stoddard
I think your idea of a "No Stupid Questions" series is a good one. I have seen some things similar but they almost always are too long, sound condescending, or assume too much, so the approach needs to be carefully written.

When people ask me things like "how can I get started" or "how can I pick out some (speakers, headphones, system) to listen to" I always begin with two questions: what's your favorite music, and what do you want to do while you listen to it?

Then my third question: what's your budget?

Lots of good input here!

I think there's something here, but there are a number of logistical issues to work out, including how we keep the questions going, and how NOT to turn it into a "recommend a Schiit component" shill vlog. I'll be the first to tell people that they should really shy away from our stuff until they have their preferred transducers picked out (and even then they may not need anything from us), but how do you take it from there? How do you handle technical questions about measurements, or engineering and ideological issues like "why tubes?"

I'm not trying to talk myself out of this idea, I'm just trying to make it as useful and impartial as I can.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 27, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #47,902 of 149,312
Lots of good input here!

I think there's something here, but there are a number of logistical issues to work out, including how we keep the questions going, and how NOT to turn it into a "recommend a Schiit component" shill vlog. I'll be the first to tell people that they should really shy away from our stuff until they have their preferred transducers picked out (and even then they may not need anything from us), but how do you take it from there? How do you handle technical questions about measurements, or engineering and ideological issues like "why tubes?"

I'm not trying to talk myself out of this idea, I'm just trying to make it as useful and impartial as I can.
For a genuine "How to get started" discussion I don't think you need approach those more fan-based or ideological questions. When someone has those sorts of questions they are likely past the point of getting started. Plus you run the risk of sounding like what Guy Kawasaki used to call being a technology evangelist. I think the issues you've brought up are part of phase 2 discussions. Those sorts of things are for after you get past the simple questions like "What is a preamplifier and why would I need one?" and "Why do I want to try headphones? Why can't I just use the ear buds that came with my phone?" or the question my 43 year-old daughter just asked me, "I bought a soundbar for my TV but the subwoofer that came with it is ugly can I put it in the closet? Will it still sound OK?" or "Isn't everything digital?"

As far as coming off like a shill for Schiit, well they did come to Schiit for advice, right? So it makes sense to talk about the gear you sell and have available to help them meet their goals. And since you don't make loudspeakers or headphones or phono carts, you will be forced to speak more generically about those things and I'd argue they are more important than which preamp to use.

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #47,903 of 149,312
If they are coming to your website keep them there. Talk about your products.

"Fulla 2 is a great product for those just getting into the hobby, it's an all in one stop. Many of our customers think it sounds better then a smart phone, tablet, etc."

"Magni/Modi If your significant other has a bit more room on his desk or end table and wants something that's a great price to performance & quality ratio, we think this is a great place to start. We believe separate components sound better"

And so on

They come to your site, it's ok to sell your products vs your other products. Just compare your stuff to your stuff.

I've been on the phone with three speaker manufacturers lately, 2 of which had the owner answering the phone.

One asked me why I was only asking about his cheap stuff, talked about dollar value of components as the only metric for "better" and a minute later told me he was dying (too busy) and needed to go. 1k isn't cheap to me. Maybe 7 minutes is too long to sell a speaker.

The other guy spent easily 10 minutes with me, answered all my questions, and talked about construction process, design philosophy, order options, what kind of music I'll be listening to, room size, what's in it, etc. His speakers go on sale July 2nd.

Which one do you think I'm more likely to buy?

Just something to keep in mind as you explore this possiblity.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #47,904 of 149,312
Lots of good input here!

Paul McGowen does this exactly the way you propose now.
I like it very much and like you he knows how to bring audio across without a manufacturers arrogance on his own business.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sharanelani/featured

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #47,905 of 149,312
Lots of good input here!

I think this is a great idea! I often feel a bit overwhelmed by all the complexity of the options out there. I think it's very easy to quickly get lost in those weeds. "Try something with tubes, UNLESS you have X brand speakers, OR if you have THESE amps connected to THOSE speakers, (but not the similar models), but be sure the impedance-matched-ohm-resonant-flux-capacitor-based tubes with internal structures are equal to the coefficient established by the impedance parameters (remember it is a squared ratio) but if the frequency isn't entirely in line with your pre-amp's inertial dampening system (and oh it ought to have one of those, I mean come on) then YMMV. Oh, and room placement is everything, so maybe disregard all of that. Hope that helped!"

Simplicity. I recommend you keep them simple and basic. Try not to get pulled out to the deep end, which is usually within 1 or 2 steps of the shallow end... I like the product guide pages on Schiit website. A few simple points about "why this one, or why not." Ignore measurements mostly. Talk about the general qualities and pros/cons each thing brings.

When I am trying to learn about new products I want to know the basics first: 1) Why does this product/iteration exist? 2) What are the pros/cons of this vs another similar option. Of course you should preface everything with the obvious "How we hear things is subjective and you may not find this true for you. With that said....here is a general consensus of thinking on this subject. Use this as a general guide for finding what you want."

Why choose something with tubes? Why not choose tubes? I'd be really curious for a distilled and simple answer addressing topics like that.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #47,907 of 149,312
Take me!!! I'm likable, friendly, never condescending nor arrogant. I'm also beautiful, witty and trustworthy, have a great personality. I'm your perfect Schiit.
You forgot to add humble. So, that makes it humble and forgetful. So, wait, that means it's humble, forgetful and not perfect........ Oh, dear, it's all coming apart now.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #47,908 of 149,312
Why choose something with tubes? Why not choose tubes? I'd be really curious for a distilled and simple answer addressing topics like that.
I really liked your post. :)

Here's my distilled and simple answer to that tube question: In the beginning of electronics, tubes are all there were. They sounded really good but they are expensive and can be fragile and like a light bulb they eventually wear out. So over time other solutions were invented, which we call solid state. Tubes are still around because some people prefer their sound over solid state. It's totally a taste thing. If you are curious and can afford it, try something with tubes. You might like it or you might not, but you have nothing to lose except your time and a little cash.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #47,909 of 149,312
You forgot to add humble. So, that makes it humble and forgetful. So, wait, that means it's humble, forgetful and not perfect........ Oh, dear, it's all coming apart now.
I also left out cynical and self-critical because I thought everybody would understand that by implication.
Oh well... I still have to learn so much.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #47,910 of 149,312
I really liked your post. :)

Here's my distilled and simple answer to that question: In the beginning of electronics, tubes are all there were. They sounded really good but they are expensive and can be fragile and like a light bulb they eventually wear out. So over time other solutions were invented, which we call solid state. Tubes are still around because some people prefer their sound over solid state. It's totally a taste thing. If you are curious and can afford it, try something with tubes. You might like it or you might not, but you have nothing to lose except your time and a little cash.
My personal experience and taste:
I like toobz in headphone rigs but prefer solid state in 2 channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back