Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 24, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #47,791 of 149,945
Glad to hear he is gone. My friends in Zandvoort said he had priced them out years ago. Who knows, maybe F1 will come back to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway again.
I've always felt like Formula One and the whole Indianapolis thing were just historically incompatible with one another. It almost takes a completely different car to be competitive at Indy, and the drivers all need to be REALLY good at turning left at ludicrous speed (without lifting, forget braking altogether, at least in qualifying) for several hours. It would be the only oval on the circuit, and the last time they tried it was a nightmare, mostly because the tire companies couldn't come up with tires that could last more than a couple of laps... It was a sad affair, not sure why anyone would want to do it again.

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #47,792 of 149,945
I've always felt like Formula One and the whole Indianapolis thing were just historically incompatible with one another. It almost takes a completely different car to be competitive at Indy, and the drivers all need to be REALLY good at turning left at ludicrous speed (without lifting, forget braking altogether, at least in qualifying) for several hours. It would be the only oval on the circuit, and the last time they tried it was a nightmare, mostly because the tire companies couldn't come up with tires that could last more than a couple of laps... It was a sad affair, not sure why anyone would want to do it again.

I doubt if they would with the Texas track so successful. I remember growing up, the May race was the only show. Then they said NASCAR could "never" run at the Brickyard...For me Formula One is the pinnacle of motorsport, I enjoy open wheel racing.

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #47,793 of 149,945
I doubt if they would with the Texas track so successful. I remember growing up, the May race was the only show. Then they said NASCAR could "never" run at the Brickyard...For me Formula One is the pinnacle of motorsport, I enjoy open wheel racing.
Do you enjoy F1 for the racing? Do you watch Indycar?

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #47,794 of 149,945
Hate to go further OT, but the sport of F1 is only better for those with a financial interest. If you are not Mercedes or a fan, 2019 is an F1 lowpoint. Marginal track limits, no grid girls, no competition for victory, ugly cars, halo, DRS are among the reasons F1 has little interest for me anymore. I find Indycar to provide a far more compelling racing product.

AMEN!

We need more seasons like 2012, 7 different winners in the first 7 races! Man that was an awesome year, and IMHO the last great season of F1... Although Kimi winning at COTA last year has been the highlight for me since... Definitely not happy with the state of F1 and the FIA here recently...

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #47,795 of 149,945
The only race I watch anymore is the Indy500. Josef Newgarden is the Schiit.
Saw it in person (turn four grandstands, 40th row) many times in the 1980's. Spectacular & intense racing.

Burned out on NASCAR when the format changed so much it became a joke.
Went to Talladega several times and Pocono once, pre-restrictor plate days when the pole speeds were ~210mph.
There was nothing timid or boring about NASCAR back in those days ... it was exciting as hell, for us rednecks :)

Jun 24, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #47,796 of 149,945
Do you enjoy F1 for the racing? Do you watch Indycar?

Well, if by enjoying F1 for the racing, it seems that either Lewis Hamilton gets a lead sufficient to come in and change tyres, and remain well in the lead, and short of a Mechanical failure in the Mercedes-Benz, he likely will remain in the lead all the way to the podium--yeah I watch the few races on Broadcast TV.

Indy Car is my bread and butter. My photojournalism career began at Indianapolis, working on a huge team of photographers for the old United Press International. The Month of May, back in the old days was a day to day drama playing out. Then the IRL and CART had their schism, and all the old USAC folks were sent packing with the "rich Tradition" of the famed Brickyard.

They have finally gotten the sponsorship money and the TV time to be interesting, even if driving IndyCars on city streets is a far cry from Monaco. I rather enjoy seeing the 500-mile race, but it is not the Indianapolis 500 without Gomer Pyle singing "Back Home Again In Indiana", and I wish they would not use medical grade Helium to fill thousands of balloons, which litter the Hoosier countryside for months after Memorial Day.

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #47,797 of 149,945
Yeah,NASCAR doesn't fit. Big heavy cars with enough power to overcome the inadequate tires they run. Hardly "ultimate" motorsport, and certainly not stock car racing like it used be be... sigh... Nothing stays the same...

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #47,798 of 149,945
I've always felt like Formula One and the whole Indianapolis thing were just historically incompatible with one another. It almost takes a completely different car to be competitive at Indy, ....
Yes, until the Brits took their modified F1 cars to the Brickyard in the 60s

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #47,799 of 149,945
Well, if by enjoying F1 for the racing, it seems that either Lewis Hamilton gets a lead sufficient to come in and change tyres, and remain well in the lead, and short of a Mechanical failure in the Mercedes-Benz, he likely will remain in the lead all the way to the podium--yeah I watch the few races on Broadcast TV.

Indy Car is my bread and butter. My photojournalism career began at Indianapolis, working on a huge team of photographers for the old United Press International. The Month of May, back in the old days was a day to day drama playing out. Then the IRL and CART had their schism, and all the old USAC folks were sent packing with the "rich Tradition" of the famed Brickyard.

They have finally gotten the sponsorship money and the TV time to be interesting, even if driving IndyCars on city streets is a far cry from Monaco. I rather enjoy seeing the 500-mile race, but it is not the Indianapolis 500 without Gomer Pyle singing "Back Home Again In Indiana", and I wish they would not use medical grade Helium to fill thousands of balloons, which litter the Hoosier countryside for months after Memorial Day.
Ok, good, I’m pleased to see you’re not the F1 is the best no matter what type of fan.

Indycar is on a roll now with great cars, great tracks and exciting drivers. I went to the 500 for the first time last year. It was awe inspiring. You might actually like the person who now sings Back Home Again in indiana, Jim Cornelison, while not identical to Nabors, his tone is similar and he sings with gusto. He does a great job.

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #47,800 of 149,945
The yanks also brought their roadsters to to Monza in the 50s for the Race of Two Worlds.

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #47,801 of 149,945
The yanks also brought their roadsters to to Monza in the 50s for the Race of Two Worlds.
Yeah, but ...
my inference was the appearance of Formula One type cars at Indianapolis was also a game changer, basically killiing off the old front-engined Offy cars; whereas in 1957 when the first of the Race of Two Worlds was run and won by the front-engined Offy cars, the mid-engined Cooper Climax had already made its mark in Formula One. (game changer)

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #47,802 of 149,945
I was a guest behind the screens at the 1985 (last) F1 race in Zandvoort.
It's not for me but I do understand the thrill for some people.
Years later I did some "training" there as a guest for a particular car brand and again that's not for me.
On the racetrack I do not have the steel nerves I have in other situations. (Feeding Constanza fe)

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #47,803 of 149,945
Colin Chapman, Lotus, Jimmy Clark, and Graham Hill---Indy was never the same, except for Jim Hurtubise, the year he entered a Front engine Roadster, with sponsorship money from Miller Brewing. On the last day of qualification, he opened the engine compartment, and it was full of iced down Miller High Life, the Champagne of Bottled Beer... You can't buy exposure like that anymore. The 1967 Turbine with Parnelli Jones at the wheel, "Whooosh!" Broke on lap 197. STP came back the next year with the Wedge turbine, and USAC said "no more..."

When I was hired at Reuters, it was the result of our coverage of the Indy 500 in 1990. Emerson Fittipaldi had blistering on his Firestones which cost him the race. Arie Luyendyk drove the Domino's Delivers Special to victory, and I went on to work 18 years for the Brits (/Canadians when Thomson bought the company.)

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #47,804 of 149,945
Ok, good, I’m pleased to see you’re not the F1 is the best no matter what type of fan.

Indycar is on a roll now with great cars, great tracks and exciting drivers. I went to the 500 for the first time last year. It was awe inspiring. You might actually like the person who now sings Back Home Again in indiana, Jim Cornelison, while not identical to Nabors, his tone is similar and he sings with gusto. He does a great job.
I did 1990, 1991 and 1992, and then Reuters wanted to cover the Taxi-cab races so I had the Coca-Cola 600 until 2007, when I became disabled. I watch the trifecta Monaco, Indy and Charlotte, right in front of the air conditioner, with Fried Chicken, so I can throw bones at the TV...a NASCAR tradition:astonished:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back