Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 29, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #46,951 of 150,458
Freya + is by far the most interesting one to me, they implemented two out of four features from my wishlist. The addition of a motorized pot for all versions is fantastic too. Nice job!

i own the 1st-gen Freya, looking to upgrade to the Freya + for sure.

Lower noise floor + tube shutdown when running other modes alone sealed the deal for me, tho the other upgrades are nice too.

May 29, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #46,952 of 150,458
Please release a phono preamp that is a substantial upgrade over the Mani. Perhaps a phono stage in the Saga or preferably Freya size box. As much as I love my Mani I want to use it for a second system and get a more substantial phono stage for my main system as a companion for Yggy. I am considering Sutherland KC Vibe or Insight, Musical Surroundings and a few others. However I would pick Schiit first if there were substantial model. I sure hope it is one of those new things that come out before SOL.

I like your thinking. I think it would be fantastic if they made a tube phono-preamp (something along the lines of a Manley Chinook). Right around the 300-400 dollar range. I'd be all over that...

May 29, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #46,953 of 150,458
I like your thinking. I think it would be fantastic if they made a tube phono-preamp (something along the lines of a Manley Chinook). Right around the 300-400 dollar range. I'd be all over that...
Maybe there will be a peri-Sol release phono pre-amp mini-Thunderdome?

May 29, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #46,954 of 150,458
i own the 1st-gen Freya, looking to upgrade to the Freya + for sure.

Lower noise floor + tube shutdown when running other modes alone sealed the deal for me, tho the other upgrades are nice too.

Wot he said. In fact Ms Jody said over breakfast "You've already ordered it haven't you?"

She was correct.

May 29, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #46,955 of 150,458
Ah. America and England. Two countries separated by a common language.:ksc75smile:

To be honest, we do it simply to annoy the Brits.

As far as thunderdome, I know only purchases count as votes, but as a recent purchaser of a Saga with tubes and LISST, I would have fallen squarely in the Saga+/Saga-S camp, but since my audiophilia nervosa is in remission so I see no need to upgrade.

As long as you continue to think that, we'll continue to tease you. Even though you are usually unaware that we are...........

:)

May 29, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #46,957 of 150,458
May 29, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #46,958 of 150,458

Considering the -soon- arrival of Sol, maybe one of those new products Jason has been talking about is indeed a new phono-preamp, a Mani on steroids hehe. The timing would be perfect, considering the new turntable and the fact Mani is an old product that hasn't received any upgrade so far (IIRC).

May 29, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #46,961 of 150,458
So I am listening to The Moth and The Flame on my AKGs (rebuilding the house and all stored except small stuff :))
Via only full2 kind of awful when the high freqs came in and thin low. Hmmm I thought with the Sennheisers the Fully2 is fine sounding. A warm Vali2 in between in low gain (with the HD6xx i do high gain) and the AKGs sound much better politer, not fantastic but acceptable. Though the highs were the trigger (it hurts my ears) also the bass i prefer.

You get what you pay for

May 29, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #46,963 of 150,458
For Schiits and giggles I also snagged the b-stock deal on OG Saga just before Thunderdome and have had it in my office system for 2 days breaking in. Further testing needs to be done on the home system (esp. once I get a new tube), but, right off the bat adding Saga is a major upgrade in soundstage compared to dac direct from the Hugo 2 (I am a soundstage freak). Maybe a touch less precision, but, if you are on the fence, these preamps are the real deal. Very impressed.

May 29, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #46,964 of 150,458

I'm in the market for a new phono preamp, even at double your price range. I need a MC input at 100 ohms with 66 dB of gain (hint, hint).

JC

May 29, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #46,965 of 150,458
I'm in the market for a new phono preamp, even at double your price range. I need a MC input at 100 ohms with 66 dB of gain (hint, hint).

JC
man that would be sweet. It is mouth watering to think what schiit could come up with for a $1K phono preamp. I think that may be pushing a bit too much into the snobby High End Audio territory and could put off some of the core schiit folks, but they do sell the Yggy, so I guess it's a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back