Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 29, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #46,966 of 149,250
I like your thinking. I think it would be fantastic if they made a tube phono-preamp (something along the lines of a Manley Chinook). Right around the 300-400 dollar range. I'd be all over that...

Don't tell Jason but I would pay a lot more than 400 dollars for a Schiit Phono preamp that competed with the Manley Chinook. Especially do not tell Jason that I would be willing to pay as much as Freya+ if it used that size chassis. Or put the new phono preamp under the Thunderdome and make an "S" and a "+" version. Let the customers decide if SS or tube phono is better.

May 29, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #46,967 of 149,250
I'm in the market for a new phono preamp, even at double your price range. I need a MC input at 100 ohms with 66 dB of gain (hint, hint).

JC

I have one that does 100 ohms and 65 db that was 700. I understand if you are wanting one from Schiit though (I would not mind one either, but I am not likely to spend that much again... the Mani is probably sufficient for me squeezing a third turntable into my system).

May 29, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #46,968 of 149,250
man that would be sweet. It is mouth watering to think what schiit could come up with for a $1K phono preamp. I think that may be pushing a bit too much into the snobby High End Audio territory and could put off some of the core schiit folks, but they do sell the Yggy, so I guess it's a possibility.
I don't think people won't buy a $100 product because they also make a $1000 or $2000 product.
Different people and use cases.
I think Schiit should do whatever they want -- including designing high/higher end products.
They have a customer base that may migrate upward in spending -- as in many other consumer products.

May 29, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #46,969 of 149,250
man that would be sweet. It is mouth watering to think what schiit could come up with for a $1K phono preamp. I think that may be pushing a bit too much into the snobby High End Audio territory and could put off some of the core schiit folks, but they do sell the Yggy, so I guess it's a possibility.

Hopefully Jason will chime in and say "good things come to those who wait"

May 29, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #46,970 of 149,250
Don't hold your breath.
They will not price such a thing if it's not fair to us.

May 29, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #46,971 of 149,250
man that would be sweet. It is mouthwatering to think what schiit could come up with for a $1K phono preamp. I think that may be pushing a bit too much into the snobby High-End Audio territory and could put off some of the core schiit folks, but they do sell the Yggy, so I guess it's a possibility.

Within your statement is the answer to your query. First, I find no evidence that Schiit has ever set a price-point first and built something to that spec. In the Rocky Mountain interview, they reviewed the process by which a new product is created. It starts with an idea, a bill of materials and whether they can produce the idea. They both are proud of the word "cheap", not "inexpensive", or "budget-minded".
I would postulate that first Mike will say to Jason, "It is time to do something with our Mani..." and so the process begins. If they think there is an improvement needs to be made, Jason will design a breadboard, and they will test it. Then comes the decision on the three basic sizes that all Schiit gears fit in and whether there is would be sufficient demand for a product like they have designed, and if they can make LOTS of them cheaply, so they can continue selling in quantity at a profit.
Now, with that said, they might be thinking of a $1,000 phone pre-amp to go with the SOL, but I am sure if they can produce it for $299, they will find a way...

May 29, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #46,972 of 149,250
Within your statement is the answer to your query. First, I find no evidence that Schiit has ever set a price-point first and built something to that spec. In the Rocky Mountain interview, they reviewed the process by which a new product is created. It starts with an idea, a bill of materials and whether they can produce the idea. They both are proud of the word "cheap", not "inexpensive", or "budget-minded".
I would postulate that first Mike will say to Jason, "It is time to do something with our Mani..." and so the process begins. If they think there is an improvement needs to be made, Jason will design a breadboard, and they will test it. Then comes the decision on the three basic sizes that all Schiit gears fit in and whether there is would be sufficient demand for a product like they have designed, and if they can make LOTS of them cheaply, so they can continue selling in quantity at a profit.
Now, with that said, they might be thinking of a $1,000 phone pre-amp to go with the SOL, but I am sure if they can produce it for $299, they will find a way...

I do think that it is likely that we will see some type of improved Mani or even a major step-up to the mani with the release of the SOL, just not sure what price point Schiit would allow for this. I know those guys do want their stuff cheap, but they are also known to make showcase pieces as well (Yggy). However, I am skeptical of the showcase piece (although I hope I am wrong) and I think it's more likely to get an improved Mani (Mani 2).

May 29, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #46,973 of 149,250

Agreed. Schiit is about getting their products into as many hands as possible. This thinking is the polar opposite of most boutique audiophile companies.

May 29, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #46,974 of 149,250
Agreed. Schiit is about getting their products into as many hands as possible. This thinking is the polar opposite of most boutique audiophile companies.

Keep in mind that while the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil are high value products they are still priced way too high for the masses or even many audiophiles. A good full featured phono stage that will provide good quality gain to a low output moving coil cartridge is not cheap. The Mani does not effectively do this IMO. The Mani does do a good job with moving magnet. However even with a moving magnet cartridge it does not have a quiet noise floor like several other phono stages on the market. Even worse if you use moving coil. In fact the noise floor short coming of the Mani is the biggest reason why I want to upgrade in addition to effectively hearing what quality low output moving coil cartridge is capable of.

That said I think it would be neat if they come out with a Bimby or Saga sized phono stage for under $500 and a statement Freya sized phono stage for the cost of the Freya+ or less. I think it would be wise to have a new higher quality phono stage with the release of the SOL. I believe if Schiit made a good one it would sell like hot cakes.

May 29, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #46,975 of 149,250
Keep in mind that while the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil are high value products they are still priced way too high for the masses or even many audiophiles. A good full featured phono stage that will provide good quality gain to a low output moving coil cartridge is not cheap. The Mani does not effectively do this IMO. The Mani does do a good job with moving magnet. However even with a moving magnet cartridge it does not have a quiet noise floor like several other phono stages on the market. Even worse if you use moving coil. In fact the noise floor short coming of the Mani is the biggest reason why I want to upgrade in addition to effectively hearing what quality low output moving coil cartridge is capable of.

That said I think it would be neat if they come out with a Bimby or Saga sized phono stage for under $500 and a statement Freya sized phono stage for the cost of the Freya+ or less. I think it would be wise to have a new higher quality phono stage with the release of the SOL. I believe if Schiit made a good one it would sell like hot cakes.
Agree. I'm not a vinyl person but I know people pay more for cartridges and arms than the costs we are talking about as "high" for Schiit. Bring it all on...

May 29, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #46,976 of 149,250
My phono preamp was $700 and it is not top of the line at all (that goes into the four digit range). However, it checked a number of boxes for me and it is something that will not be replaced for quite awhile. I will be replacing my turntable before I replace the preamp, and that is something I am saving up for. (Check boxes were handles MM and MC cartridges, has two outputs and inputs, MC resistance loading is handled by a dial that can be turned while music is playing if you want to find the optimal setting, otherwise it goes from 10 to 1000 ohms for MC, and has five gain settings).

May 29, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #46,977 of 149,250
Keep in mind that while the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil are high value products they are still priced way too high for the masses or even many audiophiles.

Those products, and IMO add the Gungnir MB, bat way above their price points in relation to the overall audio market.
The cool thing to me is that Schiit Audio covers such a wide variety of bases ... from beginners to more-experienced, and often elderly, music lovers.

May 29, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #46,978 of 149,250
Agree. I'm not a vinyl person but I know people pay more for cartridges and arms than the costs we are talking about as "high" for Schiit. Bring it all on...

I am at a point where I really trust Schiit to deliver first rate value for the price point even if it is higher (love my Raggy and Yggy). My budget is up to $2k for a phono stage and will tend to spend up budget to make sure I am getting the best I can. However if Schiit did come out with a $900 phono stage I would get it and save the money because I know it would compete with about anything on the market at my budget and beyond. I personally believe Schiit will release a new phono stage. We will see.

May 29, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #46,979 of 149,250
@Jason Stoddard Many congratulations on the new Pre-Amp products ... I'm predominantly a user of Schiit's dedicated headphone amps and after 2.5 years of Mjolnir 2 ownership I remain absolutely delighted. As someone said earlier, a new product doesn't make the older one bad ... BUT if a Mjolnir 3, (or + or S) came along I would be obliged to give it serious consideration. The Mjolnir 2 is a stunning headphone amplifier, especially paired with the Gungnir and half-decent tubes. And, there's the rub ... I have invested a few dollars in tubes to ensure I have a decent number of years worth of usage, to bar any supply shortages for some years. A problem in Europe. However, I keep an open mind, tho. Those tubes may be worth a fortune in a few years time !

May 29, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #46,980 of 149,250
Oh, and BTW, when can we have EITR available in Europe ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back