Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
post-14978871
Post #46,937 of 58,030

W S L

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
My question about Nexus is:
1) besides the single end/balanced conversion thingy, does it affect the sound at all, and in what ways?
2) is the Nexus in Freya S the same Nexus as the one in Ragnarok 2? Do they use identical Nexus parts?

post-14978891
Post #46,938 of 58,030

Mightygrey

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
I was kinda hoping that one of the new pre amps would have a headphone stage / phono stage, then it'd be complete for my setup.

What I'd really love is a Ragnarok 2 with all the same inputs/outputs (plus dac/phono card) just minus the power amp. Otherwise, I'm sure it'd make a fine preamp as is.

Reactions: Ripper2860
post-14978916
Post #46,939 of 58,030

IndieGradoFan

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I was kinda hoping that one of the new pre amps would have a headphone stage / phono stage, then it'd be complete for my setup.

What I'd really love is a Ragnarok 2 with all the same inputs/outputs (plus dac/phono card) just minus the power amp. Otherwise, I'm sure it'd make a fine preamp as is.
IIRC, the Ragnarok headphone output is connected to same amp output as speaker terminals with no attenuation. In that sense, a Ragnarok as preamp makes sense except for the energy loss from running the amp stage when not using headphones.

Reactions: thebmc
post-14978950
Post #46,940 of 58,030

Mike-WI

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
What happens if all four preamps end up selling about equally? Do you keep all four or will you have to make tough decisions?
Presumably that depends on absolute volume (high = all survive, low = all die) rather than relative volume.

post-14978958
Post #46,941 of 58,030

PolarBehr

Head-Fier
Reaction score
IIRC, the Ragnarok headphone output is connected to same amp output as speaker terminals with no attenuation. In that sense, a Ragnarok as preamp makes sense except for the energy loss from running the amp stage when not using headphones.
And about the same price as a Freya S and Mjolnir but gets you a better headphone amp.

post-14979046
Post #46,942 of 58,030

rkw

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Reactions: dmckean44
post-14979173
Post #46,943 of 58,030

unsane69

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Oh man.

Although Project Thunderdome does sound like a fun idea, I do feel a little trepidation. I've had/have a long term goal of upgrading my chain from pre to speakers, and a pretty sure thing in that scenario has been a Freya. And Freya+ seems like it pushes all the right buttons. But this pre-amp deathmatch lends an urgency that while exhilarating; it also feels offputting. I guess it is the uncertainty of it all. I'm not worried about warranties, I'm certain Schiit will honor those, rather the "Buy now! It's gone tomorrow!" vibe I'm getting. I'd happily splurge for a Freya+, but if I miss the euro-shipment what then? Freya has been on backorder in the euro shops for a few months, if not longer, so chances are that first shipment gets snatched up fast. If all 4 pre's flounder, will you return to OG Freya and Saga?
In short, I want a tubed Freya, and hope the window for buying one is adequate.

I'm running old school Saga now, and super happy with it, but I've been thinking about monoblock Aegir/Vidar (depending on speaker choice) for a while...

Reactions: thebmc
post-14979411
Post #46,944 of 58,030

Mumbles06

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Oh man.

Although Project Thunderdome does sound like a fun idea, I do feel a little trepidation. I've had/have a long term goal of upgrading my chain from pre to speakers, and a pretty sure thing in that scenario has been a Freya. And Freya+ seems like it pushes all the right buttons. But this pre-amp deathmatch lends an urgency that while exhilarating; it also feels offputting. I guess it is the uncertainty of it all. I'm not worried about warranties, I'm certain Schiit will honor those, rather the "Buy now! It's gone tomorrow!" vibe I'm getting. I'd happily splurge for a Freya+, but if I miss the euro-shipment what then? Freya has been on backorder in the euro shops for a few months, if not longer, so chances are that first shipment gets snatched up fast. If all 4 pre's flounder, will you return to OG Freya and Saga?

I'm running old school Saga now, and super happy with it, but I've been thinking about monoblock Aegir/Vidar (depending on speaker choice) for a while...
I think you're looking at it wrong. It's a win win for you, no rushing to buy. If the freya+ is what you really want but it sells out before you get a chance to purchase, no worries, it sold out, it's a thunderdome victor, so they make more. If it doesn't sell out, its a thunderdome loser, closeout pricing to move em out. You get a better deal on what you really wanted. Either way, everyone wins.

I pulled the trigger on "Saga Classic" bstock for a great deal last week and I'm thrilled for my self even though it's not a thunderdome gladiator. I gambled that a bunch showed up on bstock last week to make room for the rumored thunderdome, and I got a great deal on an amp I wanted for a long time. It was a thunderdome victory before thunderdome even started. Everyone is a winner!

post-14979428
Post #46,945 of 58,030

Brubacca

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Oh man.

While being outside the USA complicates things Jason went out of his way to say not to feel pressured. The runs are not small.

Best of luck in what you do, but don't feel pressure that it has to be done soon.

Reactions: Mike-WI
post-14979448
Post #46,946 of 58,030

dieslemat

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Must be difficult being Schiit now. So many people to please.

Reactions: earnmyturns
post-14979550
Post #46,948 of 58,030

audio philestine

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thank you. Always willing to go the extra yard...
English a second language to most of us.
We speak American, which many a Brit will tell you has little to do with English. :astonished:
Ah. America and England. Two countries separated by a common language.:ksc75smile:

To be honest, we do it simply to annoy the Brits.

As far as thunderdome, I know only purchases count as votes, but as a recent purchaser of a Saga with tubes and LISST, I would have fallen squarely in the Saga+/Saga-S camp, but since my audiophilia nervosa is in remission so I see no need to upgrade.

post-14979639
Post #46,949 of 58,030

UsoppNoKami

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Freya + is by far the most interesting one to me, they implemented two out of four features from my wishlist. The addition of a motorized pot for all versions is fantastic too. Nice job!
i own the 1st-gen Freya, looking to upgrade to the Freya + for sure.

Lower noise floor + tube shutdown when running other modes alone sealed the deal for me, tho the other upgrades are nice too.

post-14979731
Post #46,950 of 58,030

PioBeer

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Please release a phono preamp that is a substantial upgrade over the Mani. Perhaps a phono stage in the Saga or preferably Freya size box. As much as I love my Mani I want to use it for a second system and get a more substantial phono stage for my main system as a companion for Yggy. I am considering Sutherland KC Vibe or Insight, Musical Surroundings and a few others. However I would pick Schiit first if there were substantial model. I sure hope it is one of those new things that come out before SOL.
I like your thinking. I think it would be fantastic if they made a tube phono-preamp (something along the lines of a Manley Chinook). Right around the 300-400 dollar range. I'd be all over that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 12, Guests: 42)