Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 28, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #46,937 of 149,111
Obviously off-topic but as an Englishman, educated in England, I can confirm we use the same terminology as the USA, ie an English teacher, History teacher, Geography teacher, French teacher, etc. The only difference I am aware of is that we have Maths teachers whereas the USA has Math teachers, two slightly different colloquial shortenings of Mathematics teachers (according to the Oxford English Dictionary Americans started to shorten mathematics to math in the middle of the 19th century whereas Britons only started to shortened it to maths in the early 20th century). The alternative form, a Teacher of English, is rarely used in the UK; further, at least at secondary school level, the term English master or English mistress were commonly used through the second half of the 20th century, I believe this has now become less common due to these terms being gender specific.

This Yorkshireman concurs.

May 28, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #46,939 of 149,111
My question about Nexus is:
1) besides the single end/balanced conversion thingy, does it affect the sound at all, and in what ways?
2) is the Nexus in Freya S the same Nexus as the one in Ragnarok 2? Do they use identical Nexus parts?

May 28, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #46,940 of 149,111
I was kinda hoping that one of the new pre amps would have a headphone stage / phono stage, then it'd be complete for my setup.

What I'd really love is a Ragnarok 2 with all the same inputs/outputs (plus dac/phono card) just minus the power amp. Otherwise, I'm sure it'd make a fine preamp as is.

May 28, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #46,941 of 149,111
I was kinda hoping that one of the new pre amps would have a headphone stage / phono stage, then it'd be complete for my setup.

What I'd really love is a Ragnarok 2 with all the same inputs/outputs (plus dac/phono card) just minus the power amp. Otherwise, I'm sure it'd make a fine preamp as is.

IIRC, the Ragnarok headphone output is connected to same amp output as speaker terminals with no attenuation. In that sense, a Ragnarok as preamp makes sense except for the energy loss from running the amp stage when not using headphones.

May 28, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #46,942 of 149,111
What happens if all four preamps end up selling about equally? Do you keep all four or will you have to make tough decisions?
Presumably that depends on absolute volume (high = all survive, low = all die) rather than relative volume.

May 29, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #46,944 of 149,111
May 29, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #46,945 of 149,111
Oh man.

Although Project Thunderdome does sound like a fun idea, I do feel a little trepidation. I've had/have a long term goal of upgrading my chain from pre to speakers, and a pretty sure thing in that scenario has been a Freya. And Freya+ seems like it pushes all the right buttons. But this pre-amp deathmatch lends an urgency that while exhilarating; it also feels offputting. I guess it is the uncertainty of it all. I'm not worried about warranties, I'm certain Schiit will honor those, rather the "Buy now! It's gone tomorrow!" vibe I'm getting. I'd happily splurge for a Freya+, but if I miss the euro-shipment what then? Freya has been on backorder in the euro shops for a few months, if not longer, so chances are that first shipment gets snatched up fast. If all 4 pre's flounder, will you return to OG Freya and Saga?
In short, I want a tubed Freya, and hope the window for buying one is adequate.

I'm running old school Saga now, and super happy with it, but I've been thinking about monoblock Aegir/Vidar (depending on speaker choice) for a while...

May 29, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #46,946 of 149,111
Oh man.

Although Project Thunderdome does sound like a fun idea, I do feel a little trepidation. I've had/have a long term goal of upgrading my chain from pre to speakers, and a pretty sure thing in that scenario has been a Freya. And Freya+ seems like it pushes all the right buttons. But this pre-amp deathmatch lends an urgency that while exhilarating; it also feels offputting. I guess it is the uncertainty of it all. I'm not worried about warranties, I'm certain Schiit will honor those, rather the "Buy now! It's gone tomorrow!" vibe I'm getting. I'd happily splurge for a Freya+, but if I miss the euro-shipment what then? Freya has been on backorder in the euro shops for a few months, if not longer, so chances are that first shipment gets snatched up fast. If all 4 pre's flounder, will you return to OG Freya and Saga?

I'm running old school Saga now, and super happy with it, but I've been thinking about monoblock Aegir/Vidar (depending on speaker choice) for a while...

I think you're looking at it wrong. It's a win win for you, no rushing to buy. If the freya+ is what you really want but it sells out before you get a chance to purchase, no worries, it sold out, it's a thunderdome victor, so they make more. If it doesn't sell out, its a thunderdome loser, closeout pricing to move em out. You get a better deal on what you really wanted. Either way, everyone wins.

I pulled the trigger on "Saga Classic" bstock for a great deal last week and I'm thrilled for my self even though it's not a thunderdome gladiator. I gambled that a bunch showed up on bstock last week to make room for the rumored thunderdome, and I got a great deal on an amp I wanted for a long time. It was a thunderdome victory before thunderdome even started. Everyone is a winner!

May 29, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #46,947 of 149,111
Oh man.

While being outside the USA complicates things Jason went out of his way to say not to feel pressured. The runs are not small.

Best of luck in what you do, but don't feel pressure that it has to be done soon.

May 29, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #46,948 of 149,111
Must be difficult being Schiit now. So many people to please.

May 29, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #46,950 of 149,111
Thank you. Always willing to go the extra yard...
English a second language to most of us.
We speak American, which many a Brit will tell you has little to do with English. :astonished:

Ah. America and England. Two countries separated by a common language.:ksc75smile:

To be honest, we do it simply to annoy the Brits.

As far as thunderdome, I know only purchases count as votes, but as a recent purchaser of a Saga with tubes and LISST, I would have fallen squarely in the Saga+/Saga-S camp, but since my audiophilia nervosa is in remission so I see no need to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back