Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 22, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #46,756 of 150,629
Thank you to everyone for your replies to my question about tubes for Saga. I've enjoyed looking through all the links and supplementing it with some research, though I'm still in early phases. There's a follow-up question I'd like to ask:

Generally, what are your opinions on NOS tubes vs higher-end current-production tubes such as the Electro Harmonix Gold 6SN7EH and the Northern Electric 6SN7? Does anyone have experience with these tubes (or other new production tubes)?

I'll send my 2 cents your way since nobody has chimed in with theirs yet. :)

My personal opinion on the EH 6SN7 is a solid "meh." There is nothing wrong with it per se, but for the same price you can grab yourself something like a NOS Sylvania 6SN7GTB that will sound nicer overall. Many of the new production tubes lean more towards a modern "hifi" sound that's a bit dry sounding compared to most NOS tubes.

The Northern Electric is a re-branded TJ Full Music tube and you should be able to find the TJ version for a little bit less. These tubes are also branded Sophia Electric and David Shaw Signature for Icon Audio. There are probably more too, the TJ factory does OEM work for a number of companies. I think this Chinese tube maker is underrated actually and they make some nice tubes. They are not a super great value purely in terms of cost, but they sound good and compete well with most of the non-exotic NOS tubes. If you want new production and don't mind the price they are a good safe choice.

If you want to try a NOS tube then look into the grey t-plate Tung Sol GT I mentioned here a while back. Very good bang for the buck.

edit: oh, one thing to keep in mind if you try the TJ tubes is their larger bases. I think some of the Freya/Saga owners have said this tube either doesn't fit or is a very tight fit for the top panel cutout and you would probably need to get a socket saver to make it work.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #46,757 of 150,629
I'm getting the message that 2 Vidars are the way to go if I stay with the KEFs; I was already thinking of the KEF sealed Kube 10b, so I guess by skipping the Aegirs I may have just saved ~$200 toward that purchase!!

As I've said before, in my experience, the transducer (aka speaker) has by far the biggest affect on the sound. If you really like the LS50s, I think it makes much more sense, as other's here have suggested, to get either a Vidar or a pair of Vidars to match with it, instead of looking for different speakers to pair with Aegir. Vidar is a great amp and the LS50s are great speakers. I really do not think you will be disappointed.

If you want to look into high efficiency speakers anyways, there are many options. Klipsch, Tekton, and Zu are good places to start.

Am I reading too much into it that Bifrost only has black finishes available for both DS and MB?

Don't worry, I'm doing exactly the same. Bifrost 2.0 already has a spot on my shelf waiting for it.

May 22, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #46,758 of 150,629
In Europe retailers are obligated to list consumer prices including vat.

Yes, they should ... Except, it seems, Metrum Acoustics in the Netherlands ... they advertise base price and a side note, "excl VAT"

May 22, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #46,759 of 150,629
There are B-stock Sagas up for $259. What gives?

I noticed that as well. My guess is early closeout pricing. I bought my b stock saga at 299, and that was standard b stock pricing for a long time.

I'm thinking saga 2.0 is coming, or else these things have some serious blemishes, or other issues that has since been repaired.

I also noticed there are 15 Asgard 2 b stocks available. Considering how rarely they show up on b stock, I'm wondering what's up with that line. No heavy discount though.

May 22, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #46,760 of 150,629
I'm getting the message that 2 Vidars are the way to go if I stay with the KEFs; I was already thinking of the KEF sealed Kube 10b, so I guess by skipping the Aegirs I may have just saved ~$200 toward that purchase!!

Thanks again to all for the feedback!

I have 2 Aegirs and a Kef R300. Aegirs sounds a lot better in my opinion.

May 22, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #46,761 of 150,629
Hey folks, I've been watching the Schiit Aegir sub-thread with interest; I am very attracted to the sound quality traits described over those of the Vidar.

Though my current stack is designed to drive headphones, I am reaching the point where I want to extend out to speakers. However I have in mind the KEF LS50s, largely because of the footprint and room aesthetics, otherwise i'd go with Martin-Logans or Magnepans. Reading the reviews suggests that the sensitivity of the KEFs (85dB) is such that it may ideally require two Aegir amps in monoblock formation to properly drive the KEFs; question is, if I go with one now and add the second later, will I get useful output with just the one? I don't need to fill a big room or play very loud. I'd probably pair these to a Freya.
I'm a KEF fan (used to own LS50s, now own their big brothers the Reference 1s). However, from everything I read here and elsewhere, if you want those low-sensitivity speakers, the Aegir (even in monoblock) does not seem to be the right choice. I'm moving to a new house with very different layout in July where I may end up setting a 2-channel system in a small-ish (bedroom-sized) room, and my current instinct is to try Aegir with higher sensitivity speakers, and leave the big iron amp (H360) and KEF Reference 1s for a bigger space, which is how I have them now.

May 22, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #46,762 of 150,629
Does anyone have experience with these tubes (or other new production tubes)?
I use Psvane tubes (6SN7-UK and 6SN7-SE) on my two tube hybrid headphone amps (see my sig for details). They are very nice for that application (SE a tad smoother in the upper-mids than the UK), but I also have a few nice NOS tubes that I sometimes rotate in when I have time to play.

May 22, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #46,763 of 150,629
I'm a KEF fan (used to own LS50s, now own their big brothers the Reference 1s). However, from everything I read here and elsewhere, if you want those low-sensitivity speakers, the Aegir (even in monoblock) does not seem to be the right choice. I'm moving to a new house with very different layout in July where I may end up setting a 2-channel system in a small-ish (bedroom-sized) room, and my current instinct is to try Aegir with higher sensitivity speakers, and leave the big iron amp (H360) and KEF Reference 1s for a bigger space, which is how I have them now.

I'm curious to know which speakers you'll be getting.

May 22, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #46,764 of 150,629
Let me show you how it works here in the Netherlands.
Pretend something is listed as 100 coffee beans.
VAT is 21% income tax is 30% and dealer cost is 40% of the list price (ie 40 coffee beans)
Selling for 100-21%=79-30%=55,3-40=15,30
So the seller earns a whopping 15,30 coffee beans on the product without deducing costs to stay in business.
What was it precisely you wanted to proof? I guess you agree.
He has to pay his personnel, location, energy etc.

That's a weird approach. Income tax is usually taxed on income (i.e., profit - expenses), not on gross revenue.

May 22, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #46,765 of 150,629
I'm curious to know which speakers you'll be getting.
Too early to know. First we need to move and I need to play around with the gear we currently own. I suspect we'll want some major changes on the 2-channel front given the very different space in the new place. If I go for a 2-channel system in my intended library/work room (not sure yet), they'll need to be relatively small and able to stand relatively close to the wall. Having said that, if I went that way, I'd be curious to try out the Spatial M3...

May 22, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #46,766 of 150,629
Too early to know. First we need to move and I need to play around with the gear we currently own. I suspect we'll want some major changes on the 2-channel front given the very different space in the new place. If I go for a 2-channel system in my intended library/work room (not sure yet), they'll need to be relatively small and able to stand relatively close to the wall. Having said that, if I went that way, I'd be curious to try out the Spatial M3...
Surely those open baffles wouldn't meet those criteria, 42" tall and 17" wide, and don't they need space to work?

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #46,767 of 150,629
RE: KEF LS50s & amps

I am listening to my KEF LS50s now in near field at office (likely 1m distance) with a low power amp.

Setup is Yggdrasil v2 -> Magni 3 HP amp -> Pre-out to FiiO A1 class D amp (14 W/ch)

https://headfonics.com/2011/06/fiio-a1-digital-speaker-amplifier-full-audio-conquest/
fiio-a1.jpg

Gets plenty loud for nearfield. Just depends on distance and volume level.

My Ragnarok was at Schiit repairs, so will return to duty soon.
Magni 3 was a B-stock purchase for headphone duty while the Ragnarok was out.
I have thought about a Rag2 or Aegirs in the office with a new pre-amp.
Out of curiosity, how does that compare to the Rag? I have the A1 and LS50s as well, but certainly never considered pairing the two.

May 23, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #46,768 of 150,629
I don't like the small knobs either. I'm running my Vali2 from Fulla2's variable out so I can use that beautiful big-ass volume knob.
I justcadded a lovely big-arsed volume knob. ‘Way cheaper than a jot...

May 23, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #46,769 of 150,629
I wish more manufacturers would follow the Schiit model in this regard, I'd much rather give my money directly to the manufacturer and cut out the not needed (for me at least) middle man jacking the price up 25 - 50%...

It is a nice idea in principle but it seems to heavily limit the international market for a lot of companies (Schiit excluded), especially with things like speakers. I would love to try some Double Impacts but getting them shipped to the UK plus duties and tax is no joke same again for Rythmik subwoofers which are supposed to be great. There aren't really any similar alternatives to both of these in Europe but I guess maybe that just says more about the European market than anything else...

May 23, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #46,770 of 150,629
Or Zu Audio, that is what i am thinking when thinking of Aegir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back