Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 12, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #46,456 of 151,296
To add to the streamer discussion, I'm curious about the little Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/stream-box-s2-ultra/

USB audio input (from a computer) and output (to connect to a USB DAC), wired/wireless network input to be controlled with an app, stream Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, act as a Roon endpoint, use DLNA, can play files from attached USB storage devices, supports Bluetooth, has an HDMI out to display information... all for 700 EUR.
I just pulled up that website. Upon first blush, it appears to be a modest version of the Node 2i (Better? Worse? Nope, not going to comment upon THAT aspect [Project Audio ships from Europe?]). I do like its colour scheme... and the associated transport has a pleasing appearance to me. I'm a sucker for modular, sharp angles. The Design Box Acryl 2 & 4 look intriguing... I downloaded their manual & spec sheet to take a closer look at it. :smile_phones:

May 13, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #46,458 of 151,296
May 13, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #46,459 of 151,296
Regarding a Schiit Audio CD player, I thought this interesting as an example of a small, focused CD player.
I don't know if it is popular, but if price is $849 (google search), then I think Schiit could price lower and add functionality such as non-optical digital outs, etc.
I think the text is relevant to why this might work from Schiit, ie not much competition.
(Emotiva has CD players -- I own one -- but they are full sized)

Project CD Box S2
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/cd-box-s2/

$849 (Audio Advice)

CDBoxS2-2-653x176.png

(bold added)

Ultra compact CD Player
CD Box S2 – Compact CD player for high-quality CD playback in elegant S2 optics

CDs continue to lose in importance and are more and more being replaced by modern streaming services.
Still, not everybody wants to give up listening to a few of their favorite silver-discs and is now looking for a modern solution to put them on from time to time.
Most people don’t want to invest into an overwhelming high-end player.
They are looking for a small and handy, but still visually appealing system that will nevertheless play their CDs at a very high quality level.
The CD Box S2 is the ideal solution.
Ultra-compact, with a new, carefully manufactured, high-quality all-aluminum case and buttons, there’s not much competition in this segment.
Then, there’s excellent sound-quality inside too.

In contrast to DVD or Blu-ray Disc players, a pure CD player is frequently better in playback of stereo CDs. The drive in the CD Box S2 enables 1:1 bit-accurate CD playback.
Compared to its predecessor, the CD Box S, the inner workings of the CD Box S2 have been technically revised.
The player is controlled by a mini-computer, to optimise the used PC-drive for a 1:1 bit-accurate reading of the „Redbook“ CD-standard and achieve a modern and audiophile playback solution.
The CD is read into memory allowing any reading errors to be corrected, which ensures the best sound quality that you can get from a PC-drive.
Although this approach results in slightly higher start-up and reading times, it enables us to fit an audiophile grade CD player into the ultra-compact and beautiful S2 case.
A new and advanced DAC-chip enables a more precise and detailed digital to analog conversion.
A new feature is the ability to switch between digital IIR and FIR filters.
FIR filters are more complex DSP-operations and require more computational effort.
However, they enable a finer and linear processing of the digital signal. The ideal base for even better sound!

For even more versatility and no limits towards the top, the optical digital output can feed an external DAC.
This way, you can let your favorite high-end DAC convert the accurately transferred bitstream from the CD.

May 13, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #46,460 of 151,296
Regarding a Schiit Audio CD player, ......{snip}.........
Project CD Box S2
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/cd-box-s2/

$849 (Audio Advice)

CDBoxS2-2-653x176.png

(bold added)

Ultra compact CD Player
.......{snip}........
I do like its look. I reminds me of a miniaturized XBox One S. I get a kick out of Schiit's chassis design. I'm imagining the above image in brushed aluminum (with a transformer inside, yes [?]). Now, the trick will be to offer a Schiit transport at an attractive price. Eeeek. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #46,461 of 151,296
I do like its look. I kind of looks like a miniaturized XBox One S. I get a kick out of Schiit's chassis design. I'm imagining the above image in brushed aluminum (with a transformer inside, yes [?]). Now, the trick will be to offer a Schiit transport at an attractive price. Eeeek. :ksc75smile:
I agree. Despite using a Oppo BDP-80 in once office and a few CD players (Emotiva and Oppo) relatively unused at home I can see the market for Schiit CD players.
No one asked me, but I would go with:

- mid (eg Bifrost) sized with minimal inputs/outputs and features - keep it cheap and sleek - like the Project example
- full (Yggdrasil) sized with high end input/outputs including various outputs for external DACs. Can go "extreme" on this and still be a value compared to many other products

I think it would work.
Will see what Schiit comes up with.

May 13, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #46,463 of 151,296
I agree. Despite using a Oppo BDP-80 in once office and a few CD players (Emotiva and Oppo) relatively unused at home I can see the market for Schiit CD players.
No one asked me, but I would go with:

- mid (eg Bifrost) sized with minimal inputs/outputs and features - keep it cheap and sleek - like the Project example
- full (Yggdrasil) sized with high end input/outputs including various outputs for external DACs. Can go "extreme" on this and still be a value compared to many other products

I think it would work.
Will see what Schiit comes up with.
when it is coming it shall be only one version to meet the qty requirement of their business model

May 13, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #46,465 of 151,296
I think Tascam makes some nice spinners reasonably priced.

May 13, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #46,468 of 151,296
I might be interested in a well priced spinner if the new Unison USB cards have two inputs. The input on my Gen 5 card is taken. Even though the CD transport will probably have other connectivity options, USB is where they are differentiating this device so it would be a shame not to use it.

May 13, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #46,470 of 151,296
So still nobody here willing to comment on how Ragnarok 2 sounds?
More people must have had a chance to listen to it by now.
The only remarks are very carefull statements about showconditions etc, but it has been sitting at the Shiitr for a while right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back